Sign in to follow this  
Regina Apple

Are we ruining it for ourselves?

man i hadn't really thought about this before.

now that i think about it, yes, i feel like im spoiling it for myself... but the new album is still ages away and I kind of need these songs to stop going crazy from the lack of new recorded material!

Most musicians who have an extensive backlog of songs that were never studio-recorded tend to keep it that way, instead of releasing them on albums. I'm sure at the most we'll get one or two songs we've heard before, and even then they will probably be drastically different versions. Maybe one day we'll get a "rarities and b-sides" album from her with all our favorite live songs recorded in studio.

Ofcourse it will be much better not to have heard any of the songs on the new album. It is far more entertaining to listen to new material. Imagine the excitment and anticipation of knowing you are putting on a Regina CD with 12 new songs on it! But if we don't listen to any unrealesed material we will miss out on many musical gems by Regina. Listening to a new album with different versions of familiar songs will still be a great experience. I would rather have this lesser experienced and to have heard the many unrealeased (and never to be released) songs by Regina, than the fanatastic experience (of not having heard any of the songs on the new album), but totally missing out on some works of art. I mean imagine being a Regina fan and not having heard 'Bobbing for Apples' (which is unlikely ever to be released due to its 'explicit nature'). There are many other examples and therefore it is a worthwhile sacrifice to listen to unreleased material.

quote:
Originally posted by johny:

Ofcourse it will be much better not to have heard any of the songs on the new album. It is far more entertaining to listen to new material.

Actually, I disagree. Hearing new songs for the first time on a newly released cd is no better for me than hearing new songs live at a concert, or even on an MP3 someone has shared post-concert. In fact, I like hearing new songs one at a time rather than in a big bunch. That way, I have time to get obsessed with each new song for awhile until another new one comes along. Smiler

Good point Regina Apple. I know that's the way I am, listening to the material now would ruin it for me so I don't listen to the new songs as they come out live. If I heard like one or two new songs live at an actual show, that'd be sweet and quite different. I'd hardly remember them anyway, after only hearing them once.

people

music is music, and shouldnt be confined to an official release or recording

i have a feeeling that if loveology is released, it will never have the same emotion taht i connected with on our live rec.

i love regina and her music. and the CDs are just milestones in her progression in the music industry.