PerksOfAWallflower

WE HAVE SOME BRUMSTIX BIRTHDAYS TODAY!!!!!!

Happy birthday to Jack Dishel (Saturday, September 24th).

According to my google-fu, he's 34 or 35 right now. So he'll be 36?

Regina's 31, will be 32 in Feb 18, 2011. 4 year difference.

It seems that painting of him was a present.

http://www.facebook.com/jackdishel

Also, it seems Jack might be friendly to non-theists? Some girl posted on her wall:

"So Richard Dawkins is speaking on campus next week...hmmm"

And Jack wrote: "He wrote an amazing book called The Selfish Gene..... blew my mind......but he is obviously not pro-religion......I think it would be interesting either way Smiler"

Jack Dishel has a dream...

Birthday boy Jack Dishel fills in during a Seth Faergolzia string change at Cake Shop NYC in the early hours of Sep 24 2011.

[1min27sec]

Today will be the last day I will be able to call myself a teenager.

Did I enjoy my youth or did I squander it? Have I done anything with my life? I have some general anxieties about the future. I saw a someecard on the internets that said, "This was going to be the year I got my shit together." I can somewhat sympathize with the sentiment. Now, I'm not a fuck-up like Holden Caulfield. I'm at a fairly secure place in my life. My family is somewhat supportive. I’m a sophomore now in college, or in Latin, a ‘sophisticated moron’. I started out as a biomedical engineering major in college, decided I hate cell biology, organic chemistry, biochemistry, and hated wearing goggles and smelling weird after labs, so I switched over to electrical engineering, which is a safe choice in that electrical engineering is very broad and versatile and naturally interdisciplinary, though, computer and software engineers are more popular right now with the phone wars and the demand for smart-phone apps and programs. Anyway…

My heart's never been broken, nor belonged to anyone. Fuck me, woe is mine. I've been single my whole life (went to all-male Roman Catholic high school and now at engineering college with almost no girls). As the Arcade Fire song goes, "I can’t understand how I want a daughter while I'm still young. I wanna hold her hand, show her some beauty in this world, before all this damage is done. (And if it's too much to ask, if it's too much to ask, send me a son)." I have mixed feelings about whether I want children or whether to adopt, if I find someone. If a daughter, I really like the names Nadine, Luna, Selene, Khalana, or even Kria. I'm a cat-person without a cat. I plan things way way way way into the future. Stuff that doesn't matter. Like, I made a playlist for my funeral. I want 'The First Days of Spring' album by Noah and the Whale played at my funeral, along with some Neutral Milk Hotel, The Flowers by Regina Spektor, The Purple Bottle by Animal Collective, Walkabout by Atlas Sound, a whole lotta Beatles songs, and Watching the Wheels by John Lennon. I think about stupid crap like that a lot. Or what I’d do if I could go back in time and who’d I save. I also think about wedding playlists, should there be one. I'm listening to my birthday playlist right now, which has alotta Noah and the Whale.

I'm a little bitter about being 20, cause I just feel like I didn't live it up. High school, I had some fun, graduated with an above decent gpa. The winter of freshman year I went into an existential depression, a slump caused by my frustrations on one exam that actually turned out okay. I was very studious back then. I cared a lot. Now, I fear that sometimes I become apathetic and lose motivation in college (apathy is death) because of the lack of homework and having to teach yourselves because the professors don't care. Without deadlines, I have difficulties accomplishing things. I keep feeling like I was at my intellectual peak when I was 12 or 14. That's when I started questioning the concept of god, contemplated the existence of the universe, the purpose, function, and meaning of life, and made up my core philosophical and political beliefs, mainly influenced by The Beatles’ message of love, and the activism of John "Christ" Lennon.

Anyway, so I’m 19.99 years old. No longer a teenager. ‘Twas a strange decade. When I was a boy, everything was right. I am still on the road to find out and discover myself. I am now 20 sun-circles wise.

And with that, I leave you with this, the first few lines of the lead track ‘The First Days of Spring’ from their album of the same name:

"It's the first day of spring, and my life is starting over again. For I do believe that everyone has one chance to fuck up their lives. Like a cut-down tree, I will rise again, and I'll be bigger and stronger than ever before."

Happy birthday, lennonist!

I had no idea you were so young--I had you pegged as way older in my mind, dunno exactly why Smiler

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your 20's and beyond! You're still young, don't assume you're past any peak in your life! Find something (or, as you mentioned, someone) that you love, and enjoy your life <3

I'm headed to a party, so I don't have enough time to find you a virtual birthday gift, but I hope you have a wonderful day full of positive things! ("...A wonderful day full of positive things"? i should write for hallmark...)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Aww, thank you, Be like the water, people. =)

No-no, you have the best of intentions at heart, so I will receive your well-wishes with much appreciation. You don't need to be eloquent or witty with these things, just sincere and genuine.

I hope you had a wonderful time at the party. =D

What I desperately need right now is a hug or some form of human contact. It'd be nice to get a hug from a random stranger to affirm the goodness of life. I don't know if I've mentioned this, but my family doesn't really communicate. When we do talk, we argue, so I s'pose it's better this way. I have a frosty relationship with my dad, which I did make an attempt to heal, but is a lost cause now. My family will be there for each other when it counts, but otherwise, we don't really look out for each other... :-\

I'm dreaming of holding my two new nieces, Sophia and Nora, but they're in Boston with my sis and her husband. They are soo adorable. Seriously. I never pass an opportunity to show baby-pics, so here's Sophia:

http://i.imgur.com/V4IHp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wpcRo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VlwVY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PDLZx.jpg

When living gets me down, I think of her. She's a ball of light that radiates my heart.

Congratulations, lennonist! I sympathise, sympathise, sympathise so much with what you wrote there... Though I must admit that being twenty doesn't suck as bad as I thought it would (then again I guess I've just been too busy with school and stuff to feel bad about anything for the past month...). I hope your third decade will work out well for you. Here's to 20-year-olds with their not so wild teenage years behind them! Big Grin As much I would like to give you that hug from a random stranger, I am forced to just send you a virtual hug from not quite random not quite a starger. You are truly a fantastic person and a really hope many good things will come to you. Have a great day!

PS. Your niece is beyond cute, such lovely pics! <3

Beyond adorable is right! She's soo cute! And photogenic--my parents say they had a lot of trouble getting me to smile for pictures when i was younger. (once i got old enough to smile of my own accord, i tended to opt out and make funny faces instead... Still a bad habit, i must admit. That and photobombing lol)

I understand the need for a hug. Life gets rough. I hope your birthday went well besides. I send you virtual hugs, as well!

Keep finding things that make you smile! That's so important <3

glad my less-than-eloquent birthday wishes were well-received Smiler

Thanks rainna! I think you're fantastic too and good things come your way as well. =)

I would like to return the warm virtual e-hugs.

Yes, Sophia is an absolute joy. I love her from the depths of the well of my heart. She's progressing quickly and she's so cute when she dances to any type of music. She can't quite say her name, she points to her nose and says "Soffa" when she looks in the mirror. She really likes the words "Grrrapppesss" and "Appelll!"

Anyway, thanks, Riikka and Briana. I love this community. ☮, ♡, and respekt.

A big happy birthday and happy Hallow's Eve to our Raphael.

Have a good year. You're aging so fast, slow down, if you can help it. If you're having schokolade cake, then save me a slice.