Sign in to follow this  
toastnuances

Hammerstein Ballroom

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

quote:
Originally posted by Mark C (PuzzleMaker):

I look forward to hearing any recordings...

I assume you saw the post above by Dan Lynch?? He made a beautiful recording of the whole thing!!

And Morricone has a great one of Small Town Moon, which was my favorite of the night.

Mooebon,

Yes, I saw Dan's Post. I downloaded his FLAC files, and appreciate his efforts, however I do not have time to try to figure out how to listen to them on my MAC. I also have no clue how to convert them. Bummer.

I guess I am stuck, patiently waiting for someone to post usable MP3s for me to enjoy.

Well, it will be worth the wait. These recordings are spectacular! It is so amazing to hear versions of Human of the Year, Small Town Moon, and Lesson in How Fleeting Preservation Is that are clear as a bell.

By the way, I am the least computer savvy person on earth, and using the downloads Dan suggested, I was able to play the files on my computer and to make a cd of them. So maybe you should give it a try?? Smiler

Either way, you are eventually going to be really really happy to hear this stuff.

I have downloaded a few of the individual tracks -- I tried to access that Mozilla "down them all!" (or whatever it was called) shareware, but even after I downloaded the application, I could still only seem to download the songs track by track. My connection is veeeeerrrrrrrrryyyyy slllllllllooooooowwww, so I downloaded about three songs last night. I have no idea yet how to convert them to something I can play either, but will attempt it this weekend.

I have to say, based on looking at his website, that I very much admire the work Dan is doing, basically getting permissions to record fascinating artists and really documenting their NY shows in a high-quality way. So I definitely want to figure out how to deal with .flac files on my mac, because there are other shows on his site that I'd love to hear as well.

I think perhaps some people are not realizing just how unusual and high-quality what Dan is doing is, and how much of a treasure his whole recording "mission" is. I only say this because I hope no-one is begrudging him posting .flac files and not mp3s. It should be up to someone else to convert them to mp3s if they wish, and, with Dan's permission, to post those conversions here. But I read a story on his website about how other people were circulating and uploading his recordings in lower quality versions, and refusing to acknowledge him, and that is why he created his website.

Now that I've read more about what he's up to, I admire greatly what he's trying to do, and urge people to take a look around his website before complaining about the relative nuisance factor of the .flac files. He's trying to create a substantial archive of high-quality recordings of the N.Y. concerts of important pop/rock/indie musicians. This is an ambitious task, and he seems to be doing it with great zeal and passion and concern for quality.

Well, if some of you don't get why Dan is using .flac, it's because .mp3s are generally categorized as "lossy" files. This means that, when a producer or a label or whoever it is that takes care of that puts a song on a CD, the file gets compressed and some of the data is lost, thus lowering the SOUND quality of the song.

.flac is a lossless file, which means it plays without having lost much, if any, of the sound quality. Lossless files are quickly becoming the preferred audio format for audiophiles.

As for you, morricone, just download a program called Cog. I'm working on a MacBook Pro here and Cog is a drag and drop program. Download the .flac (while downloading some of Dan's files, they wound up saving as .flac.txt files, all you have to do is click the file, press enter, and backspace the .txt from the filename and it'll be ready for play) file to your desktop, drag it into the Cog player, and bingo. Listen and enjoy. There IS a way to format FLAC files for play in iTunes, but it's a more complicated process. If you WANT to give it a shot, here's the link: http://earpick.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/how-to-play-flac-in-itunes-on-mac/

All my Mars Volta albums I have as .mp3 for play on my iPod and .flac for play in my room. There IS a way to format your iPod to play .flac, but I'm not such a huge audiophile as to require top quality while I'm out and about.

As long as we're in the mutual admiration society today, I just want to add a little something about my concert experience and this site.

I have attended over 60 concerts this year, from a large variety of acts. That includes many experiences with crowds of all makes and models. Of all those concert crowds, the people at the Regina show at Hammerstein were my favorite. Even considering that there were a lot of seen-and-be-seen people there, it was still a crowd filled with supportive and attentive fans, who were extraordinarily courteous to other fans. I told my wife this was probably because the crowd was a majority of women, but its probably more because the fans of this artist are intelligent and self-aware people.

And this forum, of all the many forums I have posted in over the last year--this forum has shown perhaps the most appreciation and respect for my recording of any group on the web.

So, I just wanted to say thanks! You guys rock.

I'm so glad to hear these accolades for Dan's recordings. I was afraid he might get annoyed by the person who complained about not getting MP3s and stop sharing!!

And Dan, I totally agree with you about Regina's audience. It's funny. I have heard a few complaints about audiences, but in NY and Philly, I have found the crowds to be very appreciative, mellow people. No pushing and shoving. The first time I saw Regina, I took my 12 year old and was wondering how it would go. People were so sweet! Someone pulled a stool over for her to kneel on, so she could get the same view the grownups were getting.

As for the forum, I have not explored other such sites much, but this place is great!! Except that I spend too much time here and get nothing else done some days!!! Smiler

OK OK OK... ater reading all your posts, I had to see what was so incredible about FLAC, and Dan's recording, that I did it!

See my post here.

http://reginaspektor.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/633108598/m/5701023252/p/2

DAN!!!.. check your Paypal account. I sent a little something your way.

Everyone else.. you might want to note that Dan has a cool little Paypal Donation thingy on the right column of his web site. Anyone who can show him a little love.. I am sure he would appreciate it. (Especially if you downloaded the concert.

quote:
Originally posted by morricone1900:

Can anyone explain wtf happened at the beginning of "Samson?" She said something after that complete derailment, but I couldn't understand what it was. That was kind of freaky -- I mean she has played that song for 5 years now....what was going on???? :/

Belated, yeah, but I couldn't remember, so I tried to figure it out.

From what I could make out above the ruckus on danlynch's BEAUTIFUL recording, Regina postulates that she's "overwhelmed" and says, among some other impossible-to-hear things, "I need to start drinking." Yes, START, hahah.

quote:
Originally posted by toastnuances:

quote:
Originally posted by morricone1900:

Can anyone explain wtf happened at the beginning of "Samson?" She said something after that complete derailment, but I couldn't understand what it was. That was kind of freaky -- I mean she has played that song for 5 years now....what was going on???? :/

Belated, yeah, but I couldn't remember, so I tried to figure it out.

From what I could make out above the ruckus on danlynch's BEAUTIFUL recording, Regina postulates that she's "overwhelmed" and says, among some other impossible-to-hear things, "I need to start drinking." Yes, START, hahah.

The lights that were set up to imitate stars really got to her apparently, and then she couldn't concentrate on the song and kept staring at the walls and out at us. Then she said something about needing to start drinking, and then she started over. Big Grin it was still beautiful.

quote:
Originally posted by howmuchbetter:

As for you, morricone, just download a program called Cog. I'm working on a MacBook Pro here and Cog is a drag and drop program.

Sadly, I'm still using OS 10.3.9, and COG only works on 10.4 and above. I suppose I should upgrade to Tiger (I sort of refuse to upgrade to Leopard on my particular laptop), but that's not going to happen tonight!

But thanks for the tip. Smiler