Sign in to follow this  
toastnuances

Hammerstein Ballroom

quote:
Originally posted by danlynch:

There was also a performance of "Field Below" in the encores missing from the setlist above.

Thanks--I can't believe I forgot it since I was so LOVED hearing it.

Morricone, your comments are interesting. It's funny, I thought she sounded spectacular, which amazed me since I knew she was sick and could hear her coughing between songs. But I don't have any musical training---I guess ignorance is bliss. Smiler

As far as the big impersonal concert, I can understand how you would feel. I just saw Jill Sobule in a tiny concert at someone's house (100 people) and that intimate venue experience is so great---lots of interaction with the audience, great sound (in big halls, the amplification always seems to distort a bit).

But hey, you are lucky you once saw Regina in that kind of setting. (My first Regina concert was Sept 06, and I think there were over a thousand people there.)

I agree with you that it's exciting when she plays stuff besides BTH. I loved hearing One More Time, Real Love, and Lesson---and the highlight of the night for me was Small Town Moon.

I wonder if her sticking to BTH mostly is due to her perfectionism and her humility. Now that she's playing big venues with expensive tickets, she may feel pressure to play only stuff she knows really well (and with so many gigs, night after night, it would be hard for her to master different songs every night, wouldn't it?) I was just reading somewhere about how bad her stage fright still is. The other thing is that she may think people want to hear BTH (and many seem to).

Maybe when she gets used to playing the bigger venues, she will play around with the setlist more.

Anyway, I would love to see her in a small venue playing All the Rowboats, The Bronx, new stuff, and getting friends to come up and play. Still, I loved everything last night, even the huge ballroom with its gorgeous ceiling (when they put all the white dots all over, I thought it looked magical). To me, she sounds much better live than on any cds---and last night I was blown away once again by both her voice and her charm....

WOW!!!!! What a Show!

Got there kind of Late... I wsa in line down by the Subway Sandwich store, at the end of the block near 9th.

While in line, the girl in front of me and I got to talking a little. Turns out she went to Highschool wirh Regina. Too COOL!.

I can not remember the last time I stood in one place for so darn long without moving an inch. It took me over an hour to get the feeling back in my legs. But I would do it a million times over to see such a great show.

I look forward to hearing any recordings...

She was sure into messing up a lot tonight... too cute. What energy she had.. WOW WOW WOW.. she was totally psyched to be playing in NYC....

I know this is a horrible thing to say, and quite selfish on my part, but I can't help but hope she does mess up a few times during her show. Not a lot by any means cause we wouldn't want to see Regina get upset. But I almost feel like it isn't a real Reg concert until she messes up. How she recovers and laughs about the mistake is always priceless and absolutely adorable.

See, all this could be avoided if she just went back to her old performing days of not having set lists and allow her spontaneity to take over.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark C (PuzzleMaker):

I look forward to hearing any recordings...

I assume you saw the post above by Dan Lynch?? He made a beautiful recording of the whole thing!!

And Morricone has a great one of Small Town Moon, which was my favorite of the night.

quote:
Originally posted by Volodya:

quote:
Originally posted by PilingAndTwisting:

quote:
Originally posted by Volodya:

Yo yo Pilingand Twisting wtf are you talking about!?

Why would Reginka Malinka ever drop da Human? I mean come on ....you would think she sings it better when she has a cold anyway (lahk a year ago starting around September 20, 2006) cos lahk when you have a cold you have a higher drive for survival

Actually, no you wouldn't sing it better with a cold. I'm a singer. I know that if you sing when you have an illness like a cold/flu, it's in the chest (usually) and that effects your vocal chords. You will find yourself straining to get notes out that you can normally do with ease.

"Human of The Year" is probably my favorite Regina song EVER...so I would be upset if she didn't play it...but I would rather her not strain her voice and take it easy while she's healing.

And I still maintain, if I were her...I would not do it.

WTF??? Trust me....if you got snot in your throat trying to suffocate ya...you will try a little harder to live to live to live to live....so eh ...trust me...your cells will be on full operation when a threat lahk that is there hence you would sing better....

I'm sorry. That's just ridiculous. Your posts on this matter are ridiculous.

So I guess I should give up trying to tell you you're WRONG. Because you can't talk sense into logic like that Roll Eyes

I went to the concert last night and it was AMAZING, but the security was really strict. I has tickets for Mezz 2 and me and my friends tried to get to the floor by asking to get a shirt and NO ONE would let us down until the end of the show and there was security everywhere. I heard that they were a lot looser than that, but oh well. And our seats weren't so bad, atleast we could see the whole stage.

I was just a little dissapointed that not a lot of people sang along. Even though no one was singing really I still sang, lol. I thought atleast during Us people would be singing but I didn't hear too many. Oh well I sang anyway. =]

Actually, I was happy that people stayed quiet for the most of the show and sang along only during the encore. I think that Regina's performance is not a rock concert and it singing along can really spoil the whole show. I would only sing if Regina indicates that it is ok.

I was really looking forward to this show, and it was almost ruined for me. I was in the back on the left (so sorry I missed you mooebon) and there were some girls talking pretty loudly through the whole show!!! So rude, so inconsiderate! It really spoiled it!!! I could barely hear Regina over their chatter!!! I wish security could kick them out. I was eager to give them $35 back and ask them to take their drunken sorry faces to a bar. Luckily, this group was a kind of stupid NYerks who go to all the fashionable places, just to say they were there. And they left before the encore. I really enjoyed the encore Smiler