Sign in to follow this  
peter pan

World Clock

Wow, that's amazing. You hear about the high rates of death and population growth and consumption, but to see those rates put into an actual ticker is intimidating.

I wonder what we are going to do when the population is so large that we are inhabiting practically every square mile of the Earth. I guess natural things like disease and starvation will balance that out.

Scary to think about. What can we do though?

And damn, the oil situation is ridiculous. We put so much energy into getting oil, and so little into developing new technologies... and as for CO2, what a lot of people don't realize is that we are taking millions of years of carbon build up from the ground and putting it into the air over just a few hundred years. How could we NOT be having some effect on the environment?

what is ridiculous is that people are still being deceived into thinking that there is controversy in the scientific community as to the reality of global warming, when it's just not true

and the fact is we live in a world that can't physically afford to have every human living in standards that we would consider their right, we can't afford to feed the population we have, we can't afford to house them and we certainly can't afford to give them cars and electricity. it's all very depressing, especially when everything comes back around to population dynamics and the apparent unavoidability of a viral pandemic, which would kind of solve the other problems.

Then again some of the things that are being looked into are amazing, there's a guy at my uni who has used natural selection to evolve a yeast that can convert xylose to ethanol, the textbooks published this year still say that's impossible. which is the point desperate times call for desperate measures, and that's the kind of thing that leads to people reconsidering what is and isn't possible

Visiting the Grand Canyon this past week was interesting b/c you are able to see millions of years in the layers of the rock. That area has gone through so many changes, from seas, to desserts, etc, without the help of humans. The Park Ranger said something that i thought was funny "Global warming has been going on since the ice age ended. And as all of you can see (in the different rock layers) earth is not going any where and doesn't need to be saved. It's the creatures that will not last forever (as seen again by the different fossils in each layer)"

So look forward to fossilization folks!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Rawin:

well there's always the terraforming of other worlds. It won't be for another 500 years till Earth is used up and overpopulated though. (Sorry I just got the Serenity Collector's edition).

really, not trying to pick on you. you are one of my favourite people here rawin... but i really dislike this idea. it is completely self centered and wasteful to think, " hey.. this is our beautiful earth that has let us live here for millions of years, and supported us... lets use it up and move on to somewhere else that we create. hell, i bet we coud make a BETTER earth. " which is simply perposterous. and.... think of all the beings we will have to leave behind. were obviously not going to take every creature with us as we shoot off to outer space. Every creature is important, not just humans. It is terrible what we are doing to the enviornment and just picking up and moving would relieve the consequences (which is unjust) I think that if we start now we can (and are) turning around our thinking. So many more people recycle than ten years ago.. people are more educated about how what we do effects where we live. and we just need to maximize that thought enough to make more significant changes.

I just went to the bathroom, and one ran out from under a book... Surprisingly I didnt scream and run in terror. I guess I'm getting used to them.

(it was only a little one though, not as big as my shoe... Eew!)