Sign in to follow this  
BitsOfBone

Recommend a book here...

Die Papstin(Pope Joan)by Donna W. Cross is a German book made into a movie which chronicles the odd (and possibly true) story of Joanna of Ingelheim, a woman who managed to disguise herself and become the Catholic Pope.

i only read the book and loved it..it really is a wonderfully sad story and has been proven to be true after all..don't know if it can be found in English though(a friend of mine found the book at a flea market in Germany)

"Pope Joan" is indeed printed in English, though I found it in a similar setting that your friend did-annual used book sale at my high school. It has been sitting on the shelf waiting its turn to be read. With your recommendation, I'll have to try to read it sooner.

I read "The Reader," which I found really good and meaningful.

Just finished Arrowsmith - Sinclair Lewis

Love medical novels. Never even knew it was

a medical novel. It's gorgeous, like, poignant,

the prose is top notch, and happy ending to boot.

Brilliant and fun.

Now re-reading The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand

I always thought it was better than Atlas Shrugged. It's so sick, it's so sarcastic,

it so points out the contemptuous relationships

that shallow people have with each other, and

how they always try and feign some kind of respect for each other. And I haven't read it in 15 years, and since then have gotten heavily into NYC construction, and met a lot of architects on 30 million dollar projects.

It's still relevant today, even more in a way.

As Bob Grant used to say, another right-wing

boob, 'It's sick out there, and getting sicker.'

I know a lot of people hate Steinbeck because it is forced on us in school, but I can't help but love "The Grapes of Wrath." I've used it to illustrate points in essays for history, English, Sociology, and psychology classes. It makes me look smarter and better-read than I am in reality. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by BitsOfBone:

quote:
Originally posted by Dominic:

quote:

Has anyone read any Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy? I know the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but are the books any good?

omg! i didn't even know there was a movie to it! must watch it now!

the books are reallllly good. i just finsihed reading the 3rd a few days ago (coincidence?).

The first is amazing and really gets you into the characters plus the heroine of the book is just the best heroine ever and really cool.

The second is aiight still a very nice read and the 3rd is reallly and really awesome at towards the second half.

Whats's best of the books is the author's style of writing which really gets you into the characters, i don't know you just get really into it plus the fact that you never know what will happen next. Really awesome muder/mystery novels Smiler

hope that helped i'm crap with describing things anyway!

Yeah the movies look really cool, I think they made all three into movies but they haven't been subbed for english or something, I dunno.

Anyway, here:

I think I will read these books after I finish H.Potter. They look goooood!

Hey Dom, I just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... It seems to start really slow. Tell me it's going to get better please?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Has anyone read any Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy? I know the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but are the books any good?

the books are reallllly good. i just finsihed reading the 3rd a few days ago (coincidence?).

The first is amazing and really gets you into the characters plus the heroine of the book is just the best heroine ever and really cool.

The second is aiight still a very nice read and the 3rd is reallly and really awesome at towards the second half.

Whats's best of the books is the author's style of writing which really gets you into the characters, i don't know you just get really into it plus the fact that you never know what will happen next. Really awesome muder/mystery novels Smiler

Yeah the movies look really cool, I think they made all three into movies but they haven't been subbed for english or something, I dunno.

Anyway, here:

Hey Dom, I just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo... It seems to start really slow. Tell me it's going to get better please?

yes it will, the start for me was very slow too, but near the end of the middle of the book and the end is when it really starts to get interesting..

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Anyway, here:

yes it will, the start for me was very slow too, but near the end of the middle of the book and the end is when it really starts to get interesting..

My faith in you is 100% restored Dom. What a brilliant book. I bought the next one this weekend. I can't wait to see what the hell Salander is gonna do next. Smiler