Sign in to follow this  
BitsOfBone

Recommend a book here...

I'm reading Gone With the Wind and it is SOOOO good. It's like 1,500 pages so it is taking a long time cause i'm busy (and now it's an overdue book) so i just ordered it on amazon. I can see me reading it once a year. I just love the book and movie!

So far this summer, I watched two entire tv series and read one and a half book. I have less than 50 pages to go in Mary W.G. Shelley's Frankenstein. Incredibly well-written for a 19-year-old. Every word is a joy to read. It's very emotional and makes you empathize. Fairly short book too. It's 166 pages in my Dover thrift edition.

I got loads of books from the library. I'm trying to decide *sing-song* which book can I reeead first?

I'm trying to stray away from the computer... I think I discovered an optimal reading position too. ;^)

I'm trying to avoid contemporary books for now, because there are too many old classics that I wanna experience first.

Holy wow, are you kidding? Ellie, you should watch Harold and Maude. Don't read anything about that film before watching. Just get it somehow and watch.

I just finished that book less than an hour ago. It's my favorite book, but my favorite book tends to be the last one I read, so until the next one, it is my favorite. I got it from the library yesterday. My younger sister got to it before me. She couldn't sleep and finished the book before morning, and then I picked it up today and was going to ask her how far she was when she got home and negotiate who reads when and she told me she finished it and was trying to be vague because she didn't know I had started then.

I could compare it to The Catcher in the Rye, Anne Frank's diary, the Chocolate War... I think I might pick up this form and start blogging and write in a letter-format...

Everyone should read this book. Don't read this if you haven't read it...:

I like Charlie. He's a sweet kid. He's cute. Good taste in music. I love The Smiths. Patrick is great too and Sam is a pretty nice girl. I was a little confused by the ending, so I had to re-read it and then re-read the first page. My younger sister had to explain one part of the ending. It took me a short while to figure out who molested who and who in turn they molested.

They're making a movie out of it. The writer of the movie is directing. I think he's selling out by courting big-man stars instead of actors who actually match the role. The choice for the lead role seems okay, but I think Michael Cera from Arrested Development would play Charlie well. The Big Boy is kinda like the Circle in Eric Foreman's basement from That '70s Show. I don't like that Emma Watson is playing Sam. She's going to mess it up because of the accent and I don't think she has the acting chops to convey the subtlety of Sam's responses. I was thinking Ellen Page would be a better fit, cause she has the right hair and could get green eye contacts. Sam's tone of voice should be like Zooey when she's having a serious talk with Jim Carrey in Yes Man. (highlight)

I don't know if I should be concerned that my sister read this book and watches Skins, the U.K. one. I believe in personal responsibility. If my brother oversleeps, I won't wake him up -- I'll tell him the exact time every so often and let him decide. I am very much about people having the necessary information and making your own decisions. Which is somewhat contrary to what Sam tells Charlie. Charlie becomes more of a man than I am. He participated in life. I never ate in high school. Mostly because the food was expensive. (big private high school, with a wide selection, but everything was overpriced, like a cookie was .75 and a pizza slice was 2.50) And my family made me feel guilty about the tuition, even though my scholarship covered almost all of it. I only ate the first week of freshman year. After that, I learned that you could go anywhere during free hours, so I'd go to the library. And so my social life was muted. I had one friend who copied me for some reason and we'd sit together and a few other friends would join us up in the library later after finishing their meals. I was constantly trying to be academically competitive with him early on, but I can't deny that he surpassed me. He gave me a lot his books when he was cleaning out his locker.

I want to read all those books he read and see those films he saw. I'm going to go listen to The Smiths and that mixed-tape... and feel transcendental. Clap Your Heads Say Yeah would have gone well on that mixed-tape.

Clap your hands everybody. Just say yeah. Like you should've. Like Mitch Hedberg said so.

I literally just this second finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I absolutely loved it. (And was similarly inspired to listen to Charlie's mixed-tapes.)

I also just read The World According to Garp by John Irving which is, of course, fantastic.

Whenever I finish a book for a few hours afterward I just feel totally out of touch with reality, as if the world in the book was real, and I am just a passing guest in this one. It's actually kind of frightening. It's even worse if I finish a book at night time.

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

Whenever I finish a book for a few hours afterward I just feel totally out of touch with reality, as if the world in the book was real, and I am just a passing guest in this one. It's actually kind of frightening. It's even worse if I finish a book at night time.

Yes I feel the same way too. And also I usually feel sad that the book world is disappearing. I walk around and, kind of, mourn every one I've gotten to know that is not going to be a part of my life anymore.

And also I get annoyed that people around me don't get why I'm upset/sad/angry sometimes while in the middle of a book. And then I realize that they don't know what's been going on at all :P

Earlier this week, I finished A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan, which was fantastic. I read it over the course of month--not that it's a long book, but I was busy with other things--so I don't know if that made it feel more epic, but it definitely was extremely great.

I also read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon a couple of days ago. I finished it in one day, which is crazy for me because I'm a slow reader, but it was that great. It was completely fascinating to read a book from the point of view of an autistic kid who can't fathom emotions.

Now I'm about a fifth of the way through Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, which is also really great so far! Even though I'm not close to being finished, I recommend this one too. Smiler

The Bermudez Triange and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist were both good young adult books I recently just read. They weren't bad or amazing, just good. The Perks of Being a Wallfower left me expecting more out novels I've been reading.

That was a great book.

I'm going to read To Kill a Mocking Bird next... we'll probably read it in English sometime and I figured I'd get ahead. Plus it's a classic. And my mom said I needed to read it. And the cover was nice. Does anyone else judge books on their covers despite that little saying?