Sign in to follow this  
BitsOfBone

Recommend a book here...

I read The Strange Case of Dr. Henry Jekyll and Mr. Edward Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson so I could watch the BBC mini-series by Steven Moffat based on the novel (more like a sequel than a modernized adaption). And what a treat it was. That show was absolutely brilliant.

If anyone wants to follow my footsteps, here's a most wonderful free audiobook recording by David Barnes in the public domain over at Librivox Archives.

http://www.archive.org/details...ll_and_hyde_librivox

and then watch Jekyll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jekyll_(TV_series)

http://www.tv-links.eu/tv-shows/Jekyll_376/

quote:
Originally posted by Dynamo_girl:

I'm not sure if these have been recommended, but

This is a Book by Demetri Martin

Bossypants by Tina Fey

They're both hilarious. Smiler

I've been wanting to read This Is A Book for a while now! I read the chapter posted on Amazon... Demetri is hilarious. I don't know much of Tina Fey's work, but maybe I'll check her out, too Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Be like the water, people.:

quote:
Originally posted by Dynamo_girl:

I'm not sure if these have been recommended, but

This is a Book by Demetri Martin

Bossypants by Tina Fey

They're both hilarious. Smiler

I've been wanting to read This Is A Book for a while now! I read the chapter posted on Amazon... Demetri is hilarious. I don't know much of Tina Fey's work, but maybe I'll check her out, too Smiler

I've since finished both books and I really enjoyed them. Reading Demetri's book has made me miss his show a ton.

The Book Thief is REALLY good, yesyes. I'm just so burned out on Holocaust literature. We read at least 3 books a year on it. It gets so depressing, you just begin to despise humanity after reading and pondering...

I read The Jungle by Upton Sinclair and Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. Both were ever so slightly dry due to the time difference, but both extremely moving and so so so so so important and significant politically and emotionally and morally (to the United States at least.)

Uncle Tom's is much more emotional for me. I guess its because I live in the South. Both are long, but good (if dry in some places.) I would recommend them to anyone who likes historical or political fiction.

One Day by David Nicholls !!!!

I couldn't put it away and it was genius and fun and romantic and sad and touching and beautiful and hilarious. I've heard it'll be a movie in October with Anne Hathaway. I'll probably be so disappointed, which I always get when there's been a movie made from a book I've read, but I just must see it! The book is beautiful and smart and you should definitely give it a go.