Sign in to follow this  
BitsOfBone

A lesson in Regina

quote:

I took 6 years of Spanish and all I can ask you is, Que hora es? Oh and I can conjugate the crap out of verbs. That's if I can remember any verbs......I hope they use different methods in other parts of the world.

Ha, we spent soooo much time last year conjugating verbs! I', alright at it but I need to refer to my chart sometimes :]

I studied French from 7th grade through 11th, but when I went to a French school in 12th, I felt like I knew nothing. After 3 months there, totally immersed, I could understand most things; after 9 months, I could speak pretty well.

On the other hand, I took Russian for only 2 years in high school, yet found it helpful when I visited Moscow almost 20 years later. At least I could read signs and recall some basic vocab...

I think total immersion is the way to go, but I do think lessons in school are worth something.

PS. To all you young folks. Try really hard to spend some time living in another country. It's the best way to learn a language, but beyond that, it's just an amazing experience.

i completely agree with everyone! because of regina i have found some of the most amazing books and poems that i would have never found on my own. my library has a great book of russian poems, written both in russian and the translated english, called Contemporary Russian Poetry, A Bilingual Anthology. Very very good stuff. i highly recommend it. oh and i'm in spanish 4 and i suck ASS cause i hate it and don't care enough about it to study and get better. i wish i could have taken russian or french but my parents said no...

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

PS. To all you young folks. Try really hard to spend some time living in another country. It's the best way to learn a language, but beyond that, it's just an amazing experience.

amen to that.. studying abroad in college is going to ROCK!!!!!!! and ive taken four years of french and was completely overwhelmed when i arrived, but it turned out to be SO helpful, i could pretty much get anything i needed if i repeated and rephrased my question enough. and i asked a guard at pere lachaise where edith piaf was buried, and we understood eachother PERFECTLY!!!!!! i was so amazed!

I took 4 years of spanish and I speak it a lot better than a lot of people I know. My teacher 2 years ago was a native speaker and he did not allow any english in class, so I learned a ton more that year than in the other three years combined. I would really like to spend some time somewhere in latin america.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

I took 6 years of Spanish and all I can ask you is, Que hora es? Oh and I can conjugate the crap out of verbs. That's if I can remember any verbs......I hope they use different methods in other parts of the world.

I am learning verbs in Spanish right now, haha it is my second year of it! and this year we focus specifically on verbs.

i have always wanted to know a lot of languages, it looks fun to be able to say something to someone and they don't know what it is at all that the person is saying, hahaha.

quote:
Originally posted by folding chair:

it looks fun to be able to say something to someone and they don't know what it is at all that the person is saying, hahaha.

you know whats really fun? being in another country and people thinking you have no idea what they are saying about you. and then turning around and saying "yea.. um. not all americans are stupid, and some of us even speak french !" their mouths will drop to the floor! it happened to us in the metro. hahaha. one of the funniest things ive ever seen in my life.

I have learned so much from our beloved Regina. I had read Le Petit Prince (in French >_&ltWink before listening to "Baobabs" and it is now one of my favorite songs to accompany one of my favorite books. I also have an inkling that Regina Spektor mentioned Virginia Woolf in another song besides Paris.

I cannot wait to visit France. I have only been taking three years of French but am semi-fluent. All thanks to the Spanish my grandmother instilled in me. I had to give up AP because it conflicted with my opera class. Long story....but yeah...love linguistics and am considering majoring in it later in college.

I'm even creating my own Reginagraphy with her lyrics and any transcriptions I can make out (not many) and writing my interpretations. More homework upon my mountains of work but SO worth it!

JohnathanPeralta-

http://reginaspektor.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/933108598/m/9171004712/p/1

ca c'est le fil pour toi. c'est pour les "nerds" de langues!!!! comme nous!!!!!. Mais mon francais, c'est terrible malgre le fait que j'ai appris le langue pendant quatre ans. donc, je suis excite qu'il y a un autre personne qui peut parler le francais!!!! j'aime beaucoup le livre "le petit prince" aussi, et j'aime beaucoup la chanson "baobabs"!!!!!

et aussi, http://reginaspektor.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4541...821051522#4821051522 ca c'est le fil ou tu peux poster en francais, si tu veux Smiler