Sign in to follow this  
PerksOfAWallflower

poetry anyone???

so we dont have a share your poetry thread yet.. thought id kickstart it.... i know we have such talent a-buzz here.

actually, i never thought about putting my poems up, but recently i got my demo copyrighted (with a poor man's patent) and decided to do my poetry too, so it is now safe to share...

so my friends and i were having a get together. every once in a while we all get together and talk about what we've been reading, music we've been listening to. poetry and songs we've written. and try to pretend to be grown up and intelligent haha. so... i read this, and everyone liked it, so i decided to share here as well, hope you guys like it.

so this is my newest poem..

phonebooks

stood firm on just toes to extinguish the light

and professed to my hands that they knew how to fight

i had tossed and i'd tumbled and squirmed all that night

Dear Maria, knows not how to move me just right

covers like corsets, bread turned to bread crumbs

you can't sing all the words, to be safe you'll just humm

last to know that they used all your organs for drums

we can't say for quite sure but we think t'was the rum

and it stained each your eyes 'til the morning was shone

they haven't seen you for days and say 'my how you've grown'

if you wouldn't have told me i wouldn't have know

but i'm lucky my feet adjust themselves on their own.

hope you like... dont hurt your self disyphering it. lol.

so we dont have a share your poetry thread yet.. thought id kickstart it.... i know we have such talent a-buzz here.

actually, i never thought about putting my poems up, but recently i got my demo copyrighted (with a poor man's patent) and decided to do my poetry too, so it is now safe to share...

so my friends and i were having a get together. every once in a while we all get together and talk about what we've been reading, music we've been listening to. poetry and songs we've written. and try to pretend to be grown up and intelligent haha. so... i read this, and everyone liked it, so i decided to share here as well, hope you guys like it.

so this is my newest poem..

phonebooks

stood firm on just toes to extinguish the light

and professed to my hands that they knew how to fight

i had tossed and i'd tumbled and squirmed all that night

Dear Maria, knows not how to move me just right

covers like corsets, bread turned to bread crumbs

you can't sing all the words, to be safe you'll just humm

last to know that they used all your organs for drums

we can't say for quite sure but we think t'was the rum

and it stained each your eyes 'til the morning was shone

they haven't seen you for days and say 'my how you've grown'

if you wouldn't have told me i wouldn't have know

but i'm lucky my feet adjust themselves on their own.

hope you like... dont hurt your self disyphering it. lol.

This a little poem about music. I wrote it when i was 11. we were forced to write a poem about what we love the most and this teacher was really cool because she let us listen to music for inspiration and i cam up with this!

My Love

Such simple words make such a difference,

Your songs have such great meaning to my soul,

All of your metaphors make such great sense,

Your songs make me warm in a world so cold.

Music be my passion, songs be my heart,

I live my life with the music’s rhythm.

Songs are wonderful; like a work of art,

Songs brighten my world, when my days are dim.

All of the melodies and symphonies,

All of the great choruses and refrains,

Go hand in hand in perfect harmony.

Songs get me through life and all of its pains.

In a few words I guess that I could say,

Without music, there’s no other way.

yea... i thought it was a good one... and of course it was directed towards reggie!

i was one of those kids who were exposed to sex and drugs and drinking and things of the REAL WORLD a smidge too early. but yet i have a completely normal life in the suburbs... huh? figures... but my teachers always complimented me and praised me because i knew long words and had deep writing at the age of 10. and regina helps me learn LOOOOTS of new things! without reg, that poem wouldnt exist. Im probably THE weirdest 12 year old ever! Smiler

Wow, Perks, I liked that a lot! The whole comparison to the 'old times'... very cool Cool But why is it called phone books, I'm curious?

And yes, this is a good thread idea. I used to not like the idea of putting works up on random websites (this isn't random, but you get my drift), but then I thought, "If someone steals it, who cares? It's just some poem" so... we had to write a poem in my writing class about ourselves called "and me" And, I agree w/ wonder bread, I get a lot of my inspiration from Regina! So, this was my poem:

& Me

And Me. Rose Have More than One Thorn, and the Fisherman was Supposed to Drown. The Sea was Thrashing and the Clouds Heaved Their Bulk. It wasn’t My Fault, it wasn’t Your Fault. The Blame was On the Little White Spider Spying From the Hallway Walls. And it’s All Butterflies and Bombs in the Dry Lands Where Wasps Sting the Round Knees of Egyptian Babies. Turn it Upside-Down and Others Were Pushed Deep Into the Snow to Hibernate. Blue Eyes, White Lips, and Cold Toes are Buried in the Ground and Pop Up Around Spring with the Purple Pansies And Me.

I was very close to saying "white eyes and blue lips" but I was scared that there was another Regina fanatic in my class and would call me out for it haha!

If you didn't get called out for:

quote:
Originally posted by Yablonya:

Where Wasps Sting the Round Knees.

I doubt you would have for:

quote:
Originally posted by Yablonya:

"white eyes and blue lips"

Wink Nice job!

Well, well well. It seems we have some very talented poets here. Perks, I like how you write of different parts of yourself and give them a will of their own. Like your feet who "adjust themselves on their own" or your hands who you seem to be speaking to. Its almost like a form of personification, but I don't think its quite that. Nice rhyme scheme as well!

Wonder bread, I like yours as well. It's slightly looser in form, but I think that fits more with the kind of poem it is. It seems to be more of a flow of emotion, or just thoughts that needed to get out. Poetry is a good way to express your passion for something. And, for being written by an 11 year old, that is definitely talent!

Yablona, yours is completely different from the other two in the sense that it is very free form and uses a lot of vivid imagery and metaphors. And I like it equally as much as the other two. I like the last line especially, "Blue Eyes, White Lips, and Cold Toes are Buried in the Ground and Pop Up Around Spring with the Purple Pansies And Me." The whole thing flows very well, too, and it doesn't need a rhyme scheme to do so. Oh, and is the wasp stinging the babies' knees perhaps an allusion to the On the Radio lyric "A million ancient bees, Began to sting our knees"?

Haha, anyway, I liked them all very much. And I'm not trying to pretend that I am a professional literary critic or anything, those are just my thoughts...