Sign in to follow this  
Wetleg

Liverpool Academy 4th Sept 2007

Hi all, went to see Regina last night, fantastic performance to a sold out club (1200 capacity)Though I was very impressed with her show and truly thought I got my moneys worth, I was wondering what Regina would be like with a full band behind her. I think as she's developing as an artist she might benefit a full backing band (including strings) with her newer more studio advanced material. Obviously songs such as Poor Little Rich Boy, Ghost of Corporate Future, Field Below etc should be left to Regina herself. Just cant help thinking how amazing Us and Fidelity etc would sound with a few strings behind them. Whats your view on this. Dont get me wrong here, she was awesome last night and I knew she would be performing solo, so its not as if I was expecting more. Oh and when you go watch somebody you really really been waiting to see for ages, why does the biggest tallest bloke on the planet ALWAYS stand in front of you haha.... Cheers all...!!

Hi all, went to see Regina last night, fantastic performance to a sold out club (1200 capacity)Though I was very impressed with her show and truly thought I got my moneys worth, I was wondering what Regina would be like with a full band behind her. I think as she's developing as an artist she might benefit a full backing band (including strings) with her newer more studio advanced material. Obviously songs such as Poor Little Rich Boy, Ghost of Corporate Future, Field Below etc should be left to Regina herself. Just cant help thinking how amazing Us and Fidelity etc would sound with a few strings behind them. Whats your view on this. Dont get me wrong here, she was awesome last night and I knew she would be performing solo, so its not as if I was expecting more. Oh and when you go watch somebody you really really been waiting to see for ages, why does the biggest tallest bloke on the planet ALWAYS stand in front of you haha.... Cheers all...!!

Saw Regina in Liverpool last night, and as expected she did not disappoint.

The venue was intimate with a good view from the balcony and the stage well lit. We had to wait too long at the start of her piece, but my God was it worth it. The first song was un-accompanied, except for her forefinger tapping out the beat. It was amazing and soon placated my inpatients.

All the usual songs were there and a load of new ones to boot.

Her voice is superb, with such a huge range, and the piano accompaniment enhanced it even further. I would even go as far to say she is better live that on CD.

Even when she stopped the show twice [pooly finger and memory loss] it was even better than a highly polished performance, it proves she is so normal and human. If that was a sweat and confused Regina, there is no hope for the rest of us.

I thought she appeared a little nervous but the audience reaction soon put her at ease. Regina can do no wrong………keep up the excellent work girl. Regina is certainly developing and will be a big star in the future.

Best live performance I have ever been to. Will definitely go again. Regina speak to me!!

quote:
Originally posted by charlie whiskey:

The first song was un-accompanied, except for her forefinger tapping out the beat.

Okay, we now know she started with Ain't No Cover. Hope someone else can provide some more insight as to the setlist.

quote:
Originally posted by eightiesfan:

hi, just wondering who was supporting regina in liverpool?

i've got tickets to the london show, but can't get there until later on...

Support was Eugene McGuinness, I think he is originally from Liverpool. I thought he was really good. Agree with everyone else, Regina was amazing. Cannot help with set list as I never know the titles of songs....

That was the best show, no, the best thing I've ever done!!! Absolutely phenomenal!!! Big Grin We used Little Voices advice and worked our way into the centre from the side. We ended up right opposite the piano stool in the 2nd row!! I could see everything so clearly. I kept turning around to talk to my friend, and got such a shock when I turned to face the stage, and could see the enormous piano just 2 meters away, knowing Regina would be sitting there later that night. The opening act said, 'Hello, I'm not Regina Spektor' and could play his guitar really well.

We waited for ages and ages, until finally I could see two boots, attached to a pair of legs, which were joined to a shiny skirt, underneath the piano and coming from back stage. I knew it was Regina instantly and am getting butterflies just thinking about it. She was actually there!! It felt like it took an hour for those boots to walk behind the piano (it was a very big piano), and when Regina finally emerged, she was wearing the biggest smile I've ever seen. Regina looked so happy and beautiful. I will never forget that moment.

Regina started off with Ain't No Cover and then played On The Radio (in which everyone joined in with the 'bom bom bom' bit, and Regina was laughing and smiling at this). She then played Prisoners (wonderful surprise!) and The Flowers - she sung..... words can't describe how brilliant she sounded during this song. Then Regina sang Better, Apres Moi and Poor Little Rich Boy. She then got her guitar out and sang Bobbin' For Apples, and then That Time, in which she 'tore open her finger' and got a plaster (which she took off before the next song, and wrapped it around her drumstick, because she said it was a waste). The next song was Blue Lips (an even better surprise!!), followed by a haunting rendition of Human Of The Year. She then played a brilliant version of ONe More Time With Feeling. Summer In The City (she forgot her words during this one, and was really angry with herself and very apologetic) was followed by, Fidelity and then Field Below (easily the best piano piece). After the encore she sang Real Love (absolutly beautiful), Ghost Of The Corporate Future (she stuttered at the beginning and said 'oh good, you know the words' when people were singing along), Music Box and Samson. She curtsied twice, gave a big wave and was gone.

She had a beaming smile for the whole set, and also her great sense of humour was there. A girl shouted out 'I want your babies' and Regina replied 'I'm sweaty and confused'. The big lights went on and lit the audience up, and Regina waved and said 'Hi. You're much less intimidating when I can only hear you and not see you, collectively, as a group', which was so sweet in her little voice.

I was wondering if anyone who recorded the set could upload it? I would love to relive that wonderful night and remember the bits I forgot. I also have some photos and videos but don't know how to upload them - could anyone help?

In a way she was too good as I left really sad that it was over, and about the fact I won't see her again until the next tour, but that proves just how talented Regina is. She is easily the most talented singer, musician and songwriter of our time.

quote:
Originally posted by johny:

I also have some photos and videos but don't know how to upload them - could anyone help?

What format are they in? Are they on your computer yet?

Thanks for the review johny.