Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

Damn, That startled me...

quote:
Originally posted by The Catcher in the Rye:

Your Honor, is one that comes to mind. The first time I heard it I was wearing headphones and the volume was turned up kinda loud so when Regina let out the "Kissed your lips..." It shocked me and I immediately changed songs. So for awhile I would just not listen to it because I had that memory of it. I never fell in love with until I saw her performance of it from Bonnaroo. Now I'm a Pizzaterrian!

Got me thinking. Need a thread about songs that startled you.

My all time favorite startle is on Pink Floyd's - Dark Side Of The Moon. It's a combination of the end of Track #2 - On The Run and the beginning of Track #3 - Time.

There is a plane crash and after a bit things become eerily quiet followed by the strangely pleasant ticking sound of a wind up alarm clock which suddenly and loudly goes off accompanied by just about every other possible chime you can think of.

First time I heard it I had headphones on. I about jumped through the roof.

Since we have some younger folks around here I feel compelled to tell you that if you haven't heard this album it is an all-time classic. Upon release in 1973 it spent over 14 years on the Billboard 200 album chart. The longest duration to this day. It's also claimed to be the 5th highest selling album worldwide of all time.

Do yourself a favor, if you don't have it, get it. Got it, good! It's one of those every track is great albums and you won't have to get up to flip the album over to side 2.

quote:
Originally posted by The Catcher in the Rye:

Your Honor, is one that comes to mind. The first time I heard it I was wearing headphones and the volume was turned up kinda loud so when Regina let out the "Kissed your lips..." It shocked me and I immediately changed songs. So for awhile I would just not listen to it because I had that memory of it. I never fell in love with until I saw her performance of it from Bonnaroo. Now I'm a Pizzaterrian!

Got me thinking. Need a thread about songs that startled you.

My all time favorite startle is on Pink Floyd's - Dark Side Of The Moon. It's a combination of the end of Track #2 - On The Run and the beginning of Track #3 - Time.

There is a plane crash and after a bit things become eerily quiet followed by the strangely pleasant ticking sound of a wind up alarm clock which suddenly and loudly goes off accompanied by just about every other possible chime you can think of.

First time I heard it I had headphones on. I about jumped through the roof.

Since we have some younger folks around here I feel compelled to tell you that if you haven't heard this album it is an all-time classic. Upon release in 1973 it spent over 14 years on the Billboard 200 album chart. The longest duration to this day. It's also claimed to be the 5th highest selling album worldwide of all time.

Do yourself a favor, if you don't have it, get it. Got it, good! It's one of those every track is great albums and you won't have to get up to flip the album over to side 2.

I can totally relate to this topic!!! Once upon a time when my sister got her first CD player, we would listen to CD's together by putting the volume on maximum, and she would leave her headphones hanging around her neck so we could both hear. One day we were doing that, and then later I wanted to listen to a CD myself, some rock CD that someone had given her, and so I forgot to turn down the volume on the CD player because it was still on max, so I played the CD and it seriously blasted in my ears, I jumped about a foot in the air. *shudder*

This is a great topic because I am repeatedly startled by the ablum, "The Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse. On the song "Trucker's Atlas" in the final minute there is a loud creepy sound that sounds like a sound a ghost would make. Also, I jump out of my skin when the drums kick in on "Styrofoam Boots/ It's All Nice On Ice, Alright". That's a great album by the way.

Well, let's see here. I can't think of a lot of songs that actually made me jump the first time I heard them, but there are a lot that kind of creeped me out or surprised me at first listen. Firstly, Revolution 9 by the Beatles. Man, that song is weird. And I am still kind of scared by the song Mad World, simply because of the emotion I feel when I listen to it. Yet some how it's eerily beautiful to the point of brilliance.

In a whole other sense of the word, I was startled the first time I heard the Decemberists because Colin's voice is so weird. Now, however, I love them. But that was more of a musically intellectual startle.

And of course I was literally startled by Your Honor the first time I heard that too. But immediately after I turned down the volume knob I began to like it.

Hmm... good idea for a thread.

hahaha.. okay once i fell asleep in study hall listening to really calm and quiet beatles songs. * i made a playlist of soft beatles songs. anyways. so "with a little help from my friends" came on and i didnt know the tracks were cut this way but i was lifted off my chair by:

"BIIIILLLLLYYYYY SHHHHHEEEEAAAARRRRSSSSSSSS......what would you do if i sang you a song"

haha. apparently "with a little help from my friends" is immediaty after "Sgt. Peppers" on the 'Yellow sub.' album, and there tracks ran into eachother when john says "may i introduce to you, the one and only billy shears, sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band. BILLY SHEARS" REaLLY REAlly loudly!!!!!! and it was very frightening.