Sign in to follow this  
i like wonder bread

school = :(

^ Congrats on that psychology paper!

I know the feeling, when you know you could've done a lot better if you had planed everything right. I'm sure you'll do a lot better next time Wink

thanks, Lilly! i'm making an appointment with the prof tomorrow, and getting his thoughts on my new topic. This time, we have to observe people for at least half an hour... long story short, my topic will be: "are tall people more aggressive in social settings than short people?"

i'll have to trim it a bit, because obviously, if i define "short" and "tall" by a specific height, then women and men will be concentrated on their respective sides of the definitions... So i might limit it to either just men or just women. haha sorr yif this bored you! i'm pretty excited about this, and since i failed my first midterm, i need A's on everything.... this class does not like me as much as i like it, apparently...

Not at all boring! Just wait until I start talking about crazy biophysics stuff haha. I think you have a great topic to start with (I want to know what you find out about tall people!), and you like the subject so surely you'll get the best results. Good luck!

So-- that lyric from "School is Out" where she talks about staying after due to uncomprehension of high school physics... basically defines my life right now.

Or at least this semester.

If anyone has any tips for surviving such a sucky, godforsaken class... please let me know.

hmm.... well, since i consider all school to be sucky, i don't think this'll be of much help... but here goes:

first: if you're like me, then you are incapable of doing a good job if you don't care. So job one, while not overwhelmingly specific, would be to find a way to engage yourself in the material. otherwise, it'll be painful, and you won't get a good grade...

a good way to go about this is to ask a buttload of questions like, "what's the real world application of this?". and here's a good one, ask the teacher what they're passionate about with regard to the subject.. and get them talking as much as possible. That way, even if you still don't love the subject, or even like it, it'll give you an appreciation of what can be great about it, if that makes sense.. idk if that'll make a difference for you. It's kind of like a christian asking an athiest why on earth they believe the way they do. Doesn't mean you'll give up your faith, but having insight into a new way of looking at something you didn't relate to before, helps you personalize it, and maybe someday be able to look at it differently.. (religion wasn't the best example, but i hope it helped!)

another idea: STUDY GROUP!!! find a group of people who are /good at the subject/ and /studious/. The two, three, or four of you can get together outside of school. just being around them, hearing them talk about it, you're bound to acquire a general idea about how the subject "works", if that makes sense. Even if you're not doing badly, grade-wise, it's good to surround yourself with people who are more willing and invovlved with the class.

After all, hanging around with other people who hate the subject won't help anyone. It just enables them to say, "i'm not the only one who thinks this sucks" and naturally, that attitude isn't getting anyone any success. not to mention, you'll still hate the class at least as much as you would on your own. and probably more.

I'll tell you what the chemistry professor here told me: "If you're not having fun, then there's a better way to do it."

You can go through life, waiting for people to hand you fun things, and easy A's, and a good time, or you can take the initiative and create the A's and the fun times out of whatever your life is at the moment.

You can kick and scream your way through chemistry, physics, and all that other crazy stuff, or you can comb the depths of your mind and creativity to make it something tolerable, and maybe even enjoyable!

easier said than done, i know. this was more of a pep talk than applicable advice... just keep a good attitude!

last thing: i hated learning french when i was a kid. So when i don't feel like doing work, i think about all the times i've heard random french words and understood them. it makes me proud to be able to apply experience to my life, you know? Instead of being someone who hated french and quit, i'm someone who understands a little bit of french... same goes for chemistry and anything else you don't wanna learn... it's like conditioning for the mind. You don't wanna do the crunches and push-ups, but when it comes time to apply that strength, you can be proud that you stuck out the grunt work..

sorry if this is rambly and kind of died. haha i hope it helped!

Why is it that every time I turn around, I get a new lengthy essay shoved in my face? Come now, fellas! Can't we come up with more original ways to sap the energy and willpower of the student body? Wink

I find it rather difficult to write about something that I honestly can't get behind. My mind trails off on these unrelated tangents and when I find myself back on Earth, I've just wasted another hour.

Does anyone remember that Spongebob Squarepants episode where the titular character is charged with writing an essay, and proceeds to spend most of the episode doing everything else he can do that will keep him from writing that paper? That's my life.

I hope I don't wind up changing my major...I may have to if too many of my English classes are going to be nothing but research. It's always frustrating when a goal you have in mind (authoring fiction) is blockaded by steps you have to take to reach it that ultimately have nothing to do with said goal (writing research papers).

Yes, I'm wasting even more time rambling about my situation instead of taking care of it. I'd better shut up now!

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Gale:

Why is it that every time I turn around, I get a new lengthy essay shoved in my face? Come now, fellas! Can't we come up with more original ways to sap the energy and willpower of the student body? Wink

I find it rather difficult to write about something that I honestly can't get behind. My mind trails off on these unrelated tangents and when I find myself back on Earth, I've just wasted another hour.

Does anyone remember that Spongebob Squarepants episode where the titular character is charged with writing an essay, and proceeds to spend most of the episode doing everything else he can do that will keep him from writing that paper? That's my life.

Then everyone knew spongebob had a paper to write. Then his house burnt down. The Mrs. puff told him he didn't have to write the essay. haha. Big Grin

Henry Gale, Is your Professor Puffy and do you live underwater in a pineapple?

My professor is not exceptionally puffy, but I have reason to believe she possesses retractable barbs that could inflict great physical pain. And no, I don't live underwater in a pineapple! Although there is this underwater research station...oh, you wouldn't know anything about that. Wink