Sign in to follow this  
i like wonder bread

school = :(

Did my final Statistics exam today. I did horrible in the other two but I think I did well in this one. Hopefully it'll help to push my grade up ... No more classes. Only lab work, which is a lot and there's much to be done but it's easier without having to worry about exams and stuff. Ughhh

This is a rant less about school work and more about the sexist reading list at my high school.

Yes, I'm in college now, but I had to go through the same curriculum that is still adhered to in that school. I recently heard a friend of mine complaining about summer reading: Pride and Prejudice. "But it's a girlie book," he whined. "I don't see why this would be relevant to any of the boys in the class."

This really set me off. First of all, if one were to really examine all the books that are commonly read in schools in America, I would say 85% of them have male protagonists. All the girls I went to school with, myself included, read books like:

A Separate Peace, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn, Catcher in the Rye, Dante's Inferno, All Quiet on the Western Front, Frankenstein, The Iliad, The Odyssey, 1984, Brave New World, Moby Dick, Slaughterhouse-5, Lord of the Flies, Heart of Darkness, Grapes of Wrath, Catch-22, and Of Mice and Men

Many of these books don't even have any female characters of consequence. I have counted four (4) books that have female protagonists, and two of those books could be kicked off with a simple essay: Cold Mountain, Pride and Prejudice, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Scarlet Letter.

So don't complain to me about books you, as a boy, can't relate to. Lord of the Flies, especially. I do understand there aren't too many women authors before the 19th century, but can't we compensate just a little for the sake of fairness. After all, how many of the great authors of the 20th century have been women? And it's not to say that I don't love most of the books we read--I really dislike only two. I would just appreciate it if the boys who complain would STFU.

I feel better now.

aw. i totally get what you mean. its the same in the art world- for many of the same reasons. being an artist of pretty much any kind has historically been a "male" profession. interesting, when you notice that nowadays, aspiring male artists are often stereotyped as gay. what a world, what a world.

but i have to say- i am female, and some of my favorite books of all time are lord of the flies, 1984, and a clockwork orange. and i found pride and prejudice incredibly dull. but that has nothing to do with how "girlie" it is, haha.

School starts tomorrow for me. Up until this last week, I'd been wanting school to start since it ended in May. This past week has been so busy for me that I finally appreciated that it was summer. Now I wish I had more time so I could appreciate it some more. Razzer

Started my first root canal ever on a real person today! Yayyy! Not so yayy for them i suppose, but whatev. Guess this isn't really much of a rant... (aside from the part where i should have 3 done by not instead of 0! ugh.)