Sign in to follow this  
i like wonder bread

school = :(

From my experience, pre-calc was way harder than calc, but then again, I had a ridiculously hard teacher for pre-calc and a easy but effective teacher for calc. Don't sweat it too much, because the first year of college is basically a condensed version of high school, unless you AP'ed out of some intro courses. It's better to test out, because you don't want to take a class on something you already know because you'll be bored and disinterested and will end up doing worse than if you were doing it the first time around. Also, in college, you don't get a lot of attention. I mean, you'll be in a lecture hall with 300 others and professors don't really care if you get it or not and don't even make sure you do the homework and whether anyone's having trouble or not. In college, it's such a short time-frame, so you don't cover as much as you would in high school. It's hard to cover a year's worth of high school calc in a 15-week college course. For example, the derivatives and history behind formulas and mathematicians is given a short-shrift in college, which quite frankly, I find interesting and helps me remember things when it's part of the human story. I really lament the way things are taught... it's so dehumanized.

In high school, my calc teacher was big on using internet resources (she has alotta stuff here: http://faculty.muhs.edu/hardtke/ABCalc_Links.htm - we watched the Calculus in 20 Minutes at the end of the year and some math parody songs. http://www.MathTV.com is GREAT for calc (and pre-calc and trig and algebra). It was like the greatest thing ever. It might be a bit confusing to navigate at first - select the topic in the left panel and then choose a vid in the middle panel. Mr. McKeague from the site has the most clearest and elegant handwriting and explains things so well. Also, http://www.KhanAcademy.org has been a life-saver for me so far in organic chem (like I said above) and they have almost every subject and are trying to eventually offer a lecture on everything for free. You might think you don't need to know math anymore because WolframAlpha.com solves everything, but you need to really memorize your trig identities and properties because you need to be good at the basics in order to build on them.

Calc is all about derivatives and intervals - the slope of any curve and the area under the curve, which is super-helpful in physics. Newton was a might smarty guy. He invented calculus during one summer cause he was bored or something, or maybe he wasn't getting enough sex. We need to celebrate Newton Day, 'cause without Newton, we wouldn't have gravity, 'cause Newton discovered the law of gravity when he was chilling under an apple tree or something. What a beast.

The thing about most anything is that you just have to get out a pencil and paper and attack the problems. That's when you realize you have no idea what you're doing, so you go back and maybe read the chapter and then attempt the problems again, and then you feel triumphant and the rest of the problems take less and less time with the learning curve.

And don't substitute looking at problems for actual practice, 'cause when you put away your notes and homework, you might find that you might be helpless during tests and you don't know where to start. So, I guess, do at least ten good practice problems correctly in a row before you can move on. And another bit of advice someone shared with me (I would be wise to heed it as well), is study the subject you like the least first, because if you keep "saving" studying for something, you'll never get to it and by then you'll be in too deep to come out cleanly. Good luck with the rest of the term and school career.

and another last bit of advice, learn to ask questions early. Don't wait, because the longer you wait to ask something, the more embarrassed you'll feel, so if you're unsure or confused about anything, ask the instructor right away, even if it ends up being a stupid question. For example, today, I'm like "Professor, why is my equipment not working?" Professor looks over and says, "Have you tried turning it on? Turning stuff on is usually a good idea." Me: Oh shit.

I speak from experience for some of these things, unfortunately.

sorry, rambling fingers. *scowl* badfingers, bad. I'm going to hit submit now...

Thanks for the advice/links lennon. I'm probably gonna take pre calc sometime next year and im fairly terrified.

Well I just found out the other day that calc actually IS one of my required courses. I need to maintain at least a 70 average in my six subjects to keep my acceptance, which I can do so long as I pass calculus.

Thanks for the links!

And G- a tutor would be wonderful, but I have no idea where I would find a calculus tutor =[

It's unfortunate actually, I live very close to the college, but my dad teaches one of the hardest courses they offer, and he says that they are most certainly not smart enough for calculus and that he doesn't even bother trying it haha. So a college student tutor isnt an option.

I will just have to work harder at it and check out as many online resources as I can, I suppose.

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

Good news!

I just got accepted into the University of Southern California (USC)

and

Duke University!

I'm still waiting on other decisions..... but I'm so happy ! yay imminent college life!

aah thats so exciting, congrats! what are you hoping to study?

grr, I did the problem sets for the wrong chapter. Stupid teacher wrote the wrong chapter in the e-mail. I should have caught it, but I didn't realize until I finished doing them. Fuck it, I have a quiz for O-chem, so I don't care for this shit anymore. Maybe I'll do it tomorrow during break. mmm...

oh, and congrats to all the graduating 'stixers on here. Don't stop believin' and remember, in the words of John Lennon: You've got to follow your heart, wherever it leads you. You've got to follow your heart, wherever it calls you.