Sign in to follow this  
Stephacus

How many languages can Respekt speak?

i listened to a French radio interview Regina did, that another fan sent to me over Myspace. you can hear somebody translating for her, and at the very end he thanks her for playing the songs and says "merci beaucoup" which is "thank you very much" (in case somebody here doesn't know...)

& Reg obviously didn't know what it meant either.. she kind of stuttered and repeated it back to him, seemingly unaware of what she was saying..lol almost like it was a question.. "Merci....beau....coup??" Razzer

to get to the point.. i pretty much gathered from that interview, that she probably doesn't speak much French. Or if she does,maybe during her French studies, she just never learned to say "thank you very much.." Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

since when are we calling her respekt?

=PP

haha, I noticed on her website it says ReSpekt because the "gina" and "or" are sideways and I liked it a lot. So I kinda just started calling her that. I don't know if she meant it that way or not, but I took it that way.

oh no thats totally cool.

to me. the respekt thing is really like a phrase.

like you respekt the music...

etc.

but i have never used it as a nickname--but it works great!

that same logo is plastered like... on every reg. thing.

it was even on my mail order of tickets for the show im going to. it had a paper and at the top was the logo..

=]

quote:
Originally posted by Ronni:

i listened to a French radio interview Regina did, that another fan sent to me over Myspace. you can hear somebody translating for her, and at the very end he thanks her for playing the songs and says "merci beaucoup" which is "thank you very much" (in case somebody here doesn't know...)

& Reg obviously didn't know what it meant either.. she kind of stuttered and repeated it back to him, seemingly unaware of what she was saying..lol almost like it was a question.. "Merci....beau....coup??" Razzer

to get to the point.. i pretty much gathered from that interview, that she probably doesn't speak much French. Or if she does,maybe during her French studies, she just never learned to say "thank you very much.." Wink

is there anyway you can send that to me????? that is so exciting!

a guy on myspace sent me the Mp3 for the interview way back in april, so the download link has expired now, but i just sent him a message asking him if he could upload it again for me. so when he responds and hopefully sends it, ill be sure to pass it along Smiler

it WAS in the "audio interview" section of the fan myspace.. but im just now realizing that its all missing.. and i dont remember how or when i took all of them off....oops.. Eeker

Regina's definitely not fluent in French because in "Ne me quitte pas" she says, "ne me quitter pas" (pronouncing the e) so she's defintely not fluent. Although artists can certainly pronounce words however they wish to get it to work in the song. The song is so perfect I wouldn't have it any other way.

I think it's cool how Regina uses various languages in her songs. I especially love the Latin in Lacrimosa, and the Russian in Apres Moi made me shiver the first time I heard it!