Sign in to follow this  
genkaar

Minnesota

Reviewer notes that people talking during her performance was a problem again....

http://www.startribune.com/1374/story/1470083.html

Not used to being a club spectacle, Spektor finds success in silly, serious

REVIEW: The rising pop star drew a crowd to the Myth. She wasn't exactly comfortable but still was sensational.

By Jon Bream, Star Tribune

Last update: October 07, 2007 – 9:15 PM

"There are a shocking lot of you," rising pop star Regina Spektor declared Saturday night as she sat down at the grand piano at the Myth nightclub in Maplewood.

Indeed. Maybe 4,000 people -- or about 10 times the number who had seen Spektor 12 months ago at the Varsity Theater in Minneapolis.

It's not like Spektor has had a huge hit single since then. But her music has been all over the media: in commercials for J.C. Penney, XM Satellite radio and Microsoft's Zune; on the popular TV series "Grey's Anatomy,"Weeds" and "CSI: NY," and in live performances on various late-night talk shows.

On Saturday, girlish screams greeted many of the tunes from Spektor's current album, "Begin to Hope." And, by the end of her 80-minute solo performance, it was clear that the Russian-born, classically trained New Yorker, 27, has become a heroine to a new generation of smart young women. She is to today's college and high school girls what Tori Amos was in the 1990s and Joni Mitchell was in the '70s -- that older, wiser sister who understands what you're going through and can express it in poetic and artful ways (she uses lots of biblical and literary allusions).

But one of the keys to Spektor's success is that, in the same song, she can be artful and artless, pretentious and playful. Take the disarmingly simple "Poor Little Rich Boy." With her left hand, she played a melodic piano line as her right hand banged on a drumstick while she chanted scolding lyrics.

That crowd-pleaser was followed by "Bobbing for Apples," sort of an extroverted Tom Waits-like number on electric guitar, during which the self-referential line "someone next door is bleeping to one of my songs" received tittering laughter, especially when Spektor kept riffing on the line in different ways to end the song.

Sometimes her silly riffing at song's end ruined the seriousness of certain numbers. Spektor showed a tendency to be an enamored of her own cutesiness. However, her ability to mix humor with seriousness and artful eclecticness adds to her charm and appeal.

Her songs featured elements of classical, hip-hop, Broadway, cabaret, folk, Jewish music, jazz, pop, rock, Disney and Eastern European sounds. And since she was playing solo, she was likely to detour into a different style at any moment, regardless of the recorded version. But she also can play it straight, as she did on a lovely and moving treatment of John Lennon's "Real Love."

Even though her star is rising, Spektor clearly felt uncomfortable in a nightclub with people standing like sardines and many chattering like magpies. "This is a problem if you're louder than I am," she said in the middle of the ballad "Your Honor."Be quiet, please."

Nonetheless, whenever she played a soft passage, the chatter, especially from the balcony, was noticeable and shocking.

ps "in the middle of the ballad (!) 'Your Honor'"?!

Maybe he's referring to the quiet part? But I thought she only played 'Your Honor' when she had a band? Or did she balladicize (new word!) it?

hehe! i just got back from my wonderful weekend in st. paul. oh, god, it was awesome.

i didn't get in on the meeting her again business because i asked one of the security that i was standing by if she was going to, and he said she wasn't.

and about the people talking during the concert, yea, i was right next to the bar, and people drinking suck.

and someone tried to call me during the first set of encoring, wouldn't have been one of you that i ignored, would it?

quote:
Originally posted by Jasimo:

Nonetheless, whenever she played a soft passage, the chatter, especially from the balcony, was noticeable and shocking.

I think it's a tradition for her to complain about noise. I've been to 3 of her shows. She always says something to that effect with a smile and a STFU.

quote:
Originally posted by genkaar:

because i asked one of the security that i was standing by if she was going to, and he said she wasn't.

Never ask those guys. Yes, on ocassion you'll get an honest one. But most of those guys want you out of there and gone so they can go home too.

As I've said many times, it's simple. Find the bus. Wink

ok so i went to the concert on the 6th and we waited for her to come out after and we had 3 different bouncers and one sheriff come and tell us she had already left and the funny thing was that all of the stories were different. so we stuck around and sure enough she did come out. who was all out there? there was only like six people including me and a friend =]

her show was awesome though!