Sign in to follow this  
the ghost of small change

fuck regina's record label

am i alone in this? i wish she was still banging on the body of her piano with her hands and a couple drum sticks. i hate the slick production of begin to hope. where's the old regina? the company is sucking the life out of my new favorite artist. she sounds like tori amos, and that ain't a good thing...

am i alone in this? i wish she was still banging on the body of her piano with her hands and a couple drum sticks. i hate the slick production of begin to hope. where's the old regina? the company is sucking the life out of my new favorite artist. she sounds like tori amos, and that ain't a good thing...

I disagree with you. I love Regina's old stuff, but I love her newer stuff, too. I think she still has that quitessentially reginaesque quality, but if anything, there's more depth and beauty to some songs. I think the two new songs (Man of a Thousand Faces and One More Time with Feeling) are among her best ever.

Why blame the record label? Regina has often said in interviews that she was given total power in her BTH contract (except deciding the single)---Begin to Hope is exactly the way she wanted it. You have to accept that Regina herself is evolving. This is who she is now, and she may go in a new direction, and you can follow her there or not, as you like.

Some people like early Beatles or early Joni Mitchell. I myself prefer early Joni, when she was more spartan and folksy, less jazzy. But I don't assume she was going "commercial" in her later stuff---I think she just evolved to a style I was less fond of.

Regina changed a lot between 11:11 (more jazzy) and Songs. Did that bother you?

Finally, I still don't get the Tori Amos comparison, never have. I have listened to Tori's music now and then, and think it nothing at all like Regina's.

I love regina's old sound and her new sound as well. According to what she says in interviews, it was her decision to produce the record as much as she did. She never had the money to do so before she associated with her label. I think the producing on the new record definently adds to her sound.

And I don't get the Tori Amos comparison at all either. The only similarity I hear between them is that they are both females who play pianos and sing.

As long as her live shows stay as good as they are, who cares what the records sound like? If you want to here the songs from Begin To Hope in a less produced form, just listen to some of the many live versions available.

even though i do love her older stuff more than begin to hope, i still think begin to hope is amazing, what i didn't like was when i waited outside to meet her once and when she came out there were a bunch of security gaurds around her and they were rushing her to sign stuff and then leave. i mean i love that she is getting popular because she deserves it i just dont like what comes with the popularity, i hope that makes sense lol

quote:
Originally posted by ghost of corporate future:

even though i do love her older stuff more than begin to hope, i still think begin to hope is amazing, what i didn't like was when i waited outside to meet her once and when she came out there were a bunch of security gaurds around her and they were rushing her to sign stuff and then leave. i mean i love that she is getting popular because she deserves it i just dont like what comes with the popularity, i hope that makes sense lol

Yeah, I know what you mean.