Sign in to follow this  
PerksOfAWallflower

cleveland mishap!

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

I remember way back when the Beatles came to the US the first time. All the girls in the audience just shrieked the entire time they sang. I think at first they may have been flattered, but eventually they got irritated.

On the other hand, I was talking to someone who is the manager for a singer I recently saw, and he was describing a gig and said, "And everyone knew the songs and sang along---it was great!" So who knows? Maybe it varies from singer to singer.

I only know that I find it very frustrating when the singing along obscures Regina's voice.

I think that's the point - Regina's a great singer and I want to hear her voice, not drowned out by the crowd. It really ruins it for those who truly love her music.

My two cents:

I've always been anti-sing-along (unless asked to sing-along, of course) ESPECIALLY when seeing someone whose only accompaniment is themselves.

Yelling requests -- especially early in a concert -- seems rude. They're not a freakin' jukebox. Again, even this goes double when it's someone with just a guitar/piano.

Yelling, screaming, hooting during quiet songs (and most other songs) is obnoxious.

Obviously, jumping onstage during a solo performance is so far out of bounds -- unless it's a mosh pit kind of place....

Between the loud sing-alonging, random screams, talking, shouted requests, and stage jumping this crowd would have driven me nuts.

How about a banner before the show: "Please show respect for Regina and refrain from yelling/talking during songs"

quote:
Originally posted by Jasimo:

My two cents:

I've always been anti-sing-along (unless asked to sing-along, of course) ESPECIALLY when seeing someone whose only accompaniment is themselves.

Yelling requests -- especially early in a concert -- seems rude. They're not a freakin' jukebox. Again, even this goes double when it's someone with just a guitar/piano.

Yelling, screaming, hooting during quiet songs (and most other songs) is obnoxious.

Obviously, jumping onstage during a solo performance is so far out of bounds -- unless it's a mosh pit kind of place....

Between the loud sing-alonging, random screams, talking, shouted requests, and stage jumping this crowd would have driven me nuts.

How about a banner before the show: "Please show respect for Regina and refrain from yelling/talking during songs"

Pretty much agree with everything you just said. Just goes back to Regina's comment, "People, that's why we make records." As you said, she's not a jukebox, people shouldn't have the mindset that coming to her concert will be like putting on her CD. Yes, I understand people are paying money and they are excited to see her, but that isn't Beyonce or Justin Timberlake up there.

I believe something similar to this happened in Isreal...I seem to remember seeing some video of a girl getting up on stage and regina not realizing she was there until the girl held a camera in her face and took a picture or something along those lines.

quote:

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Attack of the "Begin to Hope-ers"!!!! Sorry, that was for SOAS Wink

Holy shit, man, Regina has some kind of patience to just smile and say "Don't come onto my stage." if that was my show, that kid would have been dead. But, yes, that audience was terrible. I understand being excited to see her and everything, but have a little respekt! I don't understand how people can scream along to Samson, it's completely unorthodox. And, I'm not sure who said this first, but I also have the feeling that she hates sing-a-longs: listen to how loud she was singing "Hea-ea-ea-art" over the audience. My, my Rudeness of silly teenagers.

quote:
Originally posted by Yablonya:

but i also have the feeling that she hates sing-a-longs: listen to how loud she was singing "Hea-ea-ea-art" over the audience.

You're only supposed to do it when she asks you to. There have been debates on here in the past about whether or not someone is entitled to sing along. I stand firm on my opinion. I didn't shell out the bucks to hear anyone sing except for my reginka malinka! End of subject. Cool

And I think you're 100% correct in your assessment.

quote:
reginka malinka

Oh, cute! I remember that song (well, it's not reginka, but you know Smiler)

Anyway, I agree w/ the sing-a-long thing. If she wants them to, cool, if she doesn't say anything about it, they need to shut the fudge up

Regina's beautiful, intricate and delicate sound is rare. The majority of popular bands/singers nowadays have a big sound and are worshipped at gigs by screaming fans. Ussually when a person sees/hears/goes to a gig, they will find load music screaming fans, shouting etc. Our age of pop gods and enormous teenage peer pressure, combined with the fact regina's music became more 'slick' and rocky with BTH, means her shows are going to be loud. Young people are simply going to want to fit in, and if they have to scream, shout and singalong to do this, they most certainly will. I say this as a 16 year old, having known many people who've gone to gigs.