Sign in to follow this  
mooebon

How big will Regina get?

her popularity has already increased by tenfold just in the past couple of years.

this last year was especially huge for her. in june of '06 i saw her play to a crowd of a few hundred (bigger than the crowd i saw her at a year earlier) at a modest club in seattle. just 4 months later i saw her play a sold out show at a theater holding nearly two thousand people.

with all of the t.v. shows and commercials she's being featured on, not to mention another very accessible single getting ready to hit the airwaves, i only imagine her getting bigger and bigger in these coming months. it's very exciting and a little sad (happy tears) at the same time. it's kind of like watching your child grow up, not that i know anything about that.

who cares if she wins a grammy? although, i'm sure she would be quite honored if that were to happen, contrary to some beliefs. it could be the start of a new trend in the music biz. i'm already surprised with how well the public has taken to regina so far. and if more and more artists follow radiohead's lead, the record industry will have no choice but to respond by doing things differently. hopefully, that means more true and unique artists are rewarded for their talent and creativity.

Well, at least that's a trend allready, guitar bands and singer/songwriters do get a better reception recently... even if they are as terrible as James Blunt, you got to appreciate the effort he makes to write songs a tiny little bit. The age of manufactured pop is nearing it's end, with (American) idols as a desperate last stand of the "we want easy money and accomplish Fashionistic indoctrination of young girls so they buy expensive clothes endorsed by our artists and sold by our good friends from the fashionindustry"- record companies...

Funny how this coincides with the absolute downfall of Britney Spears, previously the icon of what manufactured pop was all about...

And the awards... well, many people say it's no big deal but scream and shout and jump with joy when they win one. It's still a shape of recognition, only the selection of nominees and winners isn't always what a cultural elite would regard as a justified choice based on talent and the quality of the work by the awarded artist. In fact, most awards are in my opinion some kind of "thank you and congratiolations for making all this money!"

My girlfriend works at Starbucks and she says they play her a lot. I was in a gas station not too long ago and they were playing her there. I hear Music Box was in a TJ MAXX commercial (though I haven't seen it).

I remember back when Soviet Kitsch was just released and on her blog she was hoping she would sell 10,000 copies.

I remember when the ONLY other resource was reginaspektor.net.

I remember searching for her on Google and having hardly ANY results come back.

It's amazing to see how those things have changed.

When I met her in Boston, hardly anyone was waiting outside to meet her. We hugged and she signed my iPod which was crazy. I wonder if she still meets fans after shows. Does anyone know?

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

Grammy awards have nothing to do with artistic merit. In the year 2007, it's simply an award for the most conventionally popular act/song. I'd be more interested if Regina can win an Ivor Novello award for best songwriting.

I agree, and for this reason i hope she never wins a grammy. I don't want regina to be recognized for giving the masses something they expect, something predictable and easy to listen to. i want her to be remembered for challenging us with her originality and innovation.

You know, I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that she wins a Grammy. We all know that the Grammy's fall all over themselves with singer/songwriters (Norah Jones, Alicia Keys). And while their styles are completely different, Regina's music has been moving more and more towards this type of sound. Have to quote Mooebon here, and SHE's pretty much right on in terms of Regina's latest songs. "Slower, sadder, breathtakingly beautiful sound..." sounds about right for the Grammy's.

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

Still, I don't think it's ALL about production. When I listen to songs we KNOW are recent---Man of a Thousand Faces, One More Time With Feeling, Human of the Year (relatively recent, right?) I think they all have a slower, sadder, breathtakingly beautiful sound. And these are bootlegs, often of Reg playing alone, so you can compare them to older bootlegs (so production is not a factor). Maybe it's just Reg getting older....in every way--her life experience, her voice, her musical experience)....

Not to be dissin' our girl Regina, but I think she probably has peaked in popularity. She's certainly talented enough to get bigger, but her style doesn't lend itself to being popular music. I read it all the time on here with people whose friends liked Fidelity or Samson and then heard Chemo Limo or Baby Jesus and decided that this Regina person was really weird and wanted nothing more to do with her. A lot of it depends on her next CD, which seems to be coming out quickly enough for her to ride the success of BTH, but we'll have to see if she can keep those fans she got with her more Top 40 style tunes.