Sign in to follow this  

Sickness sucks.

quote:
Originally posted by 1953:

Well, not if you don't do anything that would put you at any risk...

I don't plan on doing it any time soon.

Neither do I, for that matter. BUT, HPV is like all over the place, and it's not just transmitted by sex or even sexual contact. So it's a lot more readily acquired than other diseases that strictly require intimateness. My oral surgeon was getting the vaccines, cause they can prevent certain type of warts (that he could catch from aerosolized particles from skin or oral lesions). Sorry, I'm a major science nerd.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brenna:

quote:

that HPV vaccination and how much they are convinced that you will uh, totally get cervical cancer if you don't get the shots.

Is that not the case?

Well, not if you don't do anything that would put you at any risk...

I don't plan on doing it any time soon.

Well, you'll be doing it eventually, and when you do, it'll feel good to know that you're not at risk for cervical cancer.

quote:

Still, my point was that it's annoying when they almost force it upon you, even though they claim it's only a suggestion.

Agreed, especially when you have to shell out $130 per shot. And, they hurt a lot too! My first one made my arm and hand numb for 10 minutes after.

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

quote:

Still, my point was that it's annoying when they almost force it upon you, even though they claim it's only a suggestion.

Agreed, especially when you have to shell out $130 per shot. And, they hurt a lot too! My first one made my arm and hand numb for 10 minutes after.

i havent been to the doctor in a while, and i think he wants me to get them, i am deathly afraid of shots. i mean, i get panic attacks and cry for hours before. it sounds really stupid i know but i just have always been afraid of shots. and i dont do anything to contract stds but ive heard you can get it from a toilet seat! and that is scary, but so are shots. my friend got the shots and she said they hurt SO BAD! and i just dont wanna get them. (thats an even scarier thought its not jut one! its a set!) i have to get them sooner or later. its really scary for me tho... Eeker

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

quote:

I got mine at the free clinic, so they cost $6. But they really hit me hard. For about two days, I couldn't lift my arm above my head without being in major pain. Ick.

OH GOD, OK - PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE PAIN ASSOCIATED WITH SHOTS.

Like Perks, I am immensely afraid of them and all needles in general. I can handle a quick prick every three years, but after that I just can't stand to think about the *pain* involved...aghhjh.h..h.

Numbing shots are the worst, by the way - they are what caused my fear, because I passed out for a little while after getting one. So scary.