Sign in to follow this  
Will Crane

Regina spektor posers

As much as I wish my friends were into Regina, I don't really get mad or annoyed with them if they've only heard a few of her songs. I mean I have a lot of songs that I like and have just never really taken the time to get into those bands. I'm sure there's some die hard Foreigner fans out there who are pissed at me for only have heard "Cold as Ice, or some crazy Israel Kamakawiwo'ole fans who are really angry that "Somewhere over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World" is the only song of his that ever gets played. But that doesn't mean I'm stupid or a distasteful person or something, does it?

I just moved into the dorms here at the U of O a couple weeks ago, and it's pretty awesome because everyone has at least heard of Regina Spektor. But most of these people are BTHers. But that's okay with me. I'll just have to infect them. Cool

so, you can't possibly like an artist if you've only heard 1 or 2 songs?

bollocks.

I was a fan the minute I saw/heard fidelity (on the rare occassion that I tuned in to Mtv), only had BTH the next week (march) and couldn't get Soviet Kitch before the end of last september... still, I might not be the typical BTH-er as I never yell at the stage of any artist to get them to play some song... moreover, I've never been able to go to a Regina Concert anywayz Razzer

I do listen to the older stuff sometimes at the website and like it loads Smiler

If an unique artist makes it big, there's always the "old-day purists" and the "I-saw-her-on-mtv-and-now-i'm-a-fan"-people. Fortunately there's a big grey-ish mass in between who don't care about "selling-out" or "weird artyfarty early work", and like both the older work and the new releases.

If all artists would stick to their old work, we'd have a million "Status Quo's"

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra Pound:

A friend of mine got introduced to regina through Samson...however she likes the Songs version a lot more...trust me I know, I gave her both...so I guess I can let that go. Haha.

I gave her a CD with like 20 regina songs on it for her birthday. So she's heard at least that many now. Smiler

I got introduced to Regina through Samson too but not the BTH version. I didn't really care for Regina until I heard GOCF and Scarecrow and Fungus.

i have this friend who only likes "On the Radio" and yesterday I was listening to December during my luch break at prizegiving (the most boring day of the year) she started bugging me to listen to on the radio annoying much.

a few of them have heard fidelity and they hate it , too weird for them theyre all into indie mainstream bands and they hate a chorus.

but one of my friends holds hope for becoming a regina spektor fan (truely) shes only heard the 1st 3 tracks of BTH but she has immediately fallen in love with samson so Ive made her a 20 track CD for her bday and I hope she likes it, i did put a couple of her "less accessible" tracks on but i hope she can see the regina's music in the way i do rather than weird.

WOW, that was a bit of a rant.

Thanks for listening.

ok..here's my .02. I don't exactly like the fact that some "fans" only like a handful of songs, but I only found out about here not too long ago too. And while I now have a fairly substantial collection of music and have been to 2 concerts, I think its sorta rude to call people posers. I think everyone needs to start somewhere, and maybe they will expand their horizons at some point. Also...they *are* supporting the same artist that you all love so much, right? So how can it be a bad thing? Smiler Just sayin'.....

ha. i had to concentrate realllllly hard. I IS SMRT! and i agree with the elitist comment, but i think that sometimes (ok many times) people get into the "well i listened to her when she first came out, so that makes me better than everyone else" syndrome. not fair...i'm always the last to know about cool things. for serials.