Sign in to follow this  
Will Crane

Regina spektor posers

oh... I just click on them and it asks save or open.

But, be reasonable. Is it possible to hear and fall in love with all 132 songs at once? No. everyone has to start somewhere. To the people who discovered her with the first three albums, congrats. However, for some of us that wasn't possible... say, if you live in atlanta and were 10 when SK came out.

quote:
Originally posted by rosa_de_oro:

quote:
Originally posted by Come on Bartender- it's real love!:

say, if you live in atlanta and were 10 when SK came out.

Or in Texas. Wink

Or if you just have really bad taste in music, and were too busy listening to Hilary Duff to notice when Soviet Kitsch came out. Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

I've hated Hilary Duff since I was ten. Smiler Meanwhile, all of my female classmates were over here singing...well, whatever Hilary Duff songs were popular at the time. Roll Eyes

I adore it all. A few songs took a couple of listens to fully appreciate... but there's nothing by Regina that I dislike. I know of people who prefer the more produced songs... but they're coming around. It's a process, I think. Smiler

And there are elitists with every community of fans, I've noticed. I love it. It's great fun. I consider myself a Smahing Pumpkins elitist because I was listening to Siamese Dream and Pisces Iscariot when I was 11. Though, I'm completely unfamiliar with any Smashing Pumpkins from the past 5 years. So.. what does that really make me?

Hmmmm....

The idea of being an elitist when it comes to whatever artist or genre is sort of puzzling to me. On one hand, I have to admire that someone can be SO passionate about this artist or that style of music that they feel like anyone making a misstep is a heretic.

At the same time, it's unprecedentedly...depressing? In a way. I recently stopped going to a certain indie/folk band's forum because all the posters are, for the most part, 30something jaded elitists who are so concerned about being truly indie that they'll listen to music that sounds horrible before they'll listen to something that more than ten people will congregate to listen to. Case and point, one of the posters who replied to a post I put up quite literally said 'I don't even listen to *INSERT GROUP NAME HERE* anymore, but I come here out of habit'.

Point is, at some point it turns sour. So long as there are fans who are still...goodnatured, I suppose, and willing to take the "BTHer" equivalent for any band under their wing and show them the good stuff, I think it's more or less okay to have some elitists. Healthy, in a way.

I never listened to Hilary duff... In fact, until around Jan of 2006 when i became addicted to vh1 top 20 (where i discovered reginka) I listened to virtually no music at all except the occasional oldies radio on long car trips. but since regina, i listen to music constantly...

quote:
Originally posted by Come on Bartender- it's real love!:

I never listened to Hilary duff... In fact, until around Jan of 2006 when i became addicted to vh1 top 20 (where i discovered reginka) I listened to virtually no music at all except the occasional oldies radio on long car trips. but since regina, i listen to music constantly...

That's funny. Before Regina (last fall), I didn't listen to much music either. Since Regina, I listen all the time...