Sign in to follow this  
liane

A song Regina should cover

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

The LAST thing I'd ever want to see if a duet with Norah Jones.

Aww, don't be so antagonistic. It'd be cute. I'd actually like to see Norah cover "Your Honor" because I know she used to throw on a wig, put on a pseudonym, and front a punk band at some small NYC venue or other.

quote:
And with Phoebe Buffay. "New York City has no power and the milk is getting sour, but to me that is not scary because I stay away from dairy." LOL that would be awesome!

Wow, I would pay good money to hear Regina do that!

quote:
Originally posted by howmuchbetter:

OH. Nirvana. I think she's one of the few artists that could do justice to one of their songs without reproducing it exactly.

From the first time I heard it, I felt that "Do Re Mi" (from the 2004 box set) could really be something fierce in Regina's hands (if she could figure out the all words, of course, because I sure as hell can't). As far as I know, it's one of the last songs Kurt wrote and only exists as that scrappy home recording. It just would be so nice if someone could rescue it--really bring it to life--and, as far as I'm concerned, no one is better equipped to do so than Regina. And it would almost certainly make me weep to hear it.

quote:
Originally posted by Rawin:

quote:
I'd actually like to see Norah cover "Your Honor" because I know she used to throw on a wig, put on a pseudonym, and front a punk band at some small NYC venue or other.

they've played at some of the same venues, like The Living Room Smiler

I thought they might have. That's awesome.

quote:
From the first time I heard it, I felt that "Do Re Mi" (from the 2004 box set) could really be something fierce in Regina's hands (if she could figure out the all words, of course, because I sure as hell can't). As far as I know, it's one of the last songs Kurt wrote and only exists as that scrappy home recording. It just would be so nice if someone could rescue it--really bring it to life--and, as far as I'm concerned, no one is better equipped to do so than Regina. And it would almost certainly make me weep to hear it.

Jeezy Creezy, I can't believe that song escaped me. Do Re Mi actually made me want to cry as the ORIGINAL recording. Something about it just tugged at my heart strings, and it WAS in fact the last recording Kurt did before his death.

I don't think any performer wants to touch it for a few reasons, though. One, because I don't think anyone's quite agreed what the lyrics are, like you said, and the other because it wasn't a proper release and it's been noted in some of his journals that he's felt raped by the stealing of some of his work and while it's...historical, in a way, to be able to listen to Do Re Mi and understand the direction Kurt was moving in with his music, I don't think anyone is sure what exactly his feelings would have been about us hearing it. I'm not even sure there is anyone who was really close enough in his last days to be able to give anyone an acceptable go-ahead to record the song (Kurt sort of estranged himself from Dave and Krist through his drug use).

If someone were to appeal to Krist and he were to talk to SOME media about his feelings on this issue, though, I don't think anyone in the industry would hesitate to give the song a second look.

quote:
Originally posted by BitsOfBone:

quote:
And with Phoebe Buffay. "New York City has no power and the milk is getting sour, but to me that is not scary because I stay away from dairy." LOL that would be awesome!

Wow, I would pay good money to hear Regina do that!

Oh yeah, it would be genuine Anti-Folk!

I do think Phoebe Buffay, despite being a fictional character without more than one or 2 songs people have heard from start to finish, has been a big influence on a lot of people in that movement... or rather, the "label"(-which-is-not-a-label-persay) fits her perfectly Razzer

she might be the fictional uncrowned queen of anti-folk... Wink