Sign in to follow this  
howmuchbetter

On friends and Regina Spektor

Is it just me, or do any of you sometimes notice that your friends LIKE Regina, but don't seem willing to admit it aloud?

I probably see this a lot more because I'm generally the teddy bear tough guy of the group. I have more friends than necessary who listen to gangster rap or HxC (LOL) music, but when I play Regina Spektor, they seem to put on irritation for show.

The best example I have is one day my best friend and myself were...relaxing (where "relaxing" means "snockered") and Pavlov's Daughter came on. Out of nowhere, he goes "Regina's a BEAST" (in the sense that she's INSANELY talented) and I laughed for about five minutes because every time I'd played her for him up to that point, he would scrunch up his nose and tell me to "turn that shit off".

Maybe she just resonates with people through certain songs.

Is it just me, or do any of you sometimes notice that your friends LIKE Regina, but don't seem willing to admit it aloud?

I probably see this a lot more because I'm generally the teddy bear tough guy of the group. I have more friends than necessary who listen to gangster rap or HxC (LOL) music, but when I play Regina Spektor, they seem to put on irritation for show.

The best example I have is one day my best friend and myself were...relaxing (where "relaxing" means "snockered") and Pavlov's Daughter came on. Out of nowhere, he goes "Regina's a BEAST" (in the sense that she's INSANELY talented) and I laughed for about five minutes because every time I'd played her for him up to that point, he would scrunch up his nose and tell me to "turn that shit off".

quote:
Originally posted by howmuchbetter:

LOL!! Maybe it's just taken him this long to warm up to her.

MAYBE. I think she's one of those artists where when they're obscure, they sound "weird", and when they're popular, they're "for girls" or "too pop-y".

For example, and no one crucify me, I sort of like Panic! at the Disco. I KNOW, I KNOW. But, had their sound not been so catchy, and had they not been discovered by Pete "Girls Like That I Look Like A Girl Too" Wentz, I think everyone would be calling them a hip underground group. I will say, though, that I don't think they have anywhere to go after this last album. They milked Palahniuk for all he was worth. What are they going to do next? Start working Swift for material?

What was my point again?

OH, RIGHT. I think she's one of those artists that gets pegged wrong partly because she's a female who plays piano, so a lot of people who pride themselves on SEEMING like hardasses don't want to be associated. Which is ridiculous.

quote:

MAYBE. I think she's one of those artists where when they're obscure, they sound "weird", and when they're popular, they're "for girls" or "too pop-y".

For example, and no one crucify me, I sort of like Panic! at the Disco. I KNOW, I KNOW. But, had their sound not been so catchy, and had they not been discovered by Pete "Girls Like That I Look Like A Girl Too" Wentz, I think everyone would be calling them a hip underground group. I will say, though, that I don't think they have anywhere to go after this last album. They milked Palahniuk for all he was worth. What are they going to do next? Start working Swift for material?

What was my point again?

OH, RIGHT. I think she's one of those artists that gets pegged wrong partly because she's a female who plays piano, so a lot of people who pride themselves on SEEMING like hardasses don't want to be associated. Which is ridiculous.

I think Regina's pretty badass Wink

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

quote:

What was my point again?

When she wants to be... Braille is pretty badass if you ask me. Apres Moi is another can of whupass IMHO.

quote:
Did you all see the YouTube of Regina telling the kids at Brandeis to shut up? She can be tough, in her sweet little way...

Well, there's a difference between tough and assertive. I had never seen that, though, haha. I do so love the fact that she's not afraid to say 'dude, I'm sitting here with a freaking piano'. Generally endearing the way she doesn't seem passive aggressive about it either, she's just saying that if she came to perform and people came to listen, it's common courtesy to oblige both parties if you're of the third (being those who won't shut their yaps).

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

quote:

What was my point again?

I could not agree more, haha. Big Grin