Sign in to follow this  
howmuchbetter

On friends and Regina Spektor

Recommended Posts

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

quote:
Originally posted by howmuchbetter:

MAYBE. I think she's one of those artists where when they're obscure, they sound "weird", and when they're popular, they're "for girls" or "too pop-y".

For example, and no one crucify me, I sort of like Panic! at the Disco. I KNOW, I KNOW. But, had their sound not been so catchy, and had they not been discovered by Pete "Girls Like That I Look Like A Girl Too" Wentz, I think everyone would be calling them a hip underground group. I will say, though, that I don't think they have anywhere to go after this last album. They milked Palahniuk for all he was worth. What are they going to do next? Start working Swift for material?

What was my point again?

OH, RIGHT. I think she's one of those artists that gets pegged wrong partly because she's a female who plays piano, so a lot of people who pride themselves on SEEMING like hardasses don't want to be associated. Which is ridiculous.

I think Regina's pretty badass Wink

It's funny, late night, October 17, I IM'd someone about a school project and mentioned I was in the city the night before. He asked what for, and I told him I saw Reg, thinking he'd either not know who she was or think she was "for girls", hahah.

Instead, he told me that was fucking awesome and called her "pwnage" and said she was "the woMAN". So I guess people can surprise you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

Did you all see the YouTube of Regina telling the kids at Brandeis to shut up? She can be tough, in her sweet little way...

Some person wrote up a whole article about that incident.

http://www.thehoot.net/?module=displaystory&story_id=2309&format=html

That whole thing annoys me, because her show isn't like other shows and people talking through her performance is annoying to fans who are there to see her play. I think it's just plain rude to talk through anyone's performance unless it is a really loud band or something. Why are you there if you're going to talk? ah.. I just don't get their argument at all. :\

On-topic though. I think that's why my brother doesn't like her. He thinks she's just a girly girl singer and right now he's really into big technical guitar parts and people swinging microphones and going nuts. I did catch him tapping a beat to The Virgin Queen one day though. It's probably the only song he ever listened to all the way through. So there's hope. Smiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

Did you all see the YouTube of Regina telling the kids at Brandeis to shut up? She can be tough, in her sweet little way...

Some person wrote up a whole article about that incident.

http://www.thehoot.net/?module=displaystory&story_id=2309&format=html

That whole thing annoys me, because her show isn't like other shows and people talking through her performance is annoying to fans who are there to see her play. I think it's just plain rude to talk through anyone's performance unless it is a really loud band or something. Why are you there if you're going to talk? ah.. I just don't get their argument at all. :\

On-topic though. I think that's why my brother doesn't like her. He thinks she's just a girly girl singer and right now he's really into big technical guitar parts and people swinging microphones and going nuts. I did catch him tapping a beat to The Virgin Queen one day though. It's probably the only song he ever listened to all the way through. So there's hope. Smiler

Play "Your Honor" for him... Smiler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not generally opinionated, but whoever wrote that article is a hack. Complete hack.

It's just common courtesy. I'm not even sure which argument was more irritating, the fact that he passive aggressively implied that it wasn't exactly a $50 show or that she doesn't appreciate her fans.

As for your brother, I give it a year before you catch him listening to her in one form or another. XD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by Crispy Crispy Benjamin Franklin:

Play "Your Honor" for him... Smiler

Maybe I should..lol.. I don't know though.

I could definitely see him liking her more when he gets a bit older. Usually he takes a while to get into some of the music I like.. but he comes around to it.

Oh and I agree with you about the person who wrote that. I almost wanted to write an angry letter.. haha.. I think it's probably just a student though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by howmuchbetter:

I'm not generally opinionated, but whoever wrote that article is a hack. Complete hack.

It's just common courtesy. I'm not even sure which argument was more irritating, the fact that he passive aggressively implied that it wasn't exactly a $50 show or that she doesn't appreciate her fans.

As for your brother, I give it a year before you catch him listening to her in one form or another. XD

I love how he/she pointed out that Regina wasn't the main attraction. So she should just deal with people being rude and talking through her performance because she's lucky to have anyone watch her?

I'm sorry but I'll stick with the old school rules and treat others how I want to be treated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...I have changed my mind.

Regina is most certainly a badass.

I just listened to one particular recording of Bobbing For Apples (I have three or four different live recordings) and it so begins:

"This song is called Bobbing for Apples.

Bobbin' for apples in Somalia, the man with the iron curtain is followin' ya. No one's comin' for tea--hey, shut the fuck uuuuup."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to talk about my friend Chris. When he first heard Regina he said her lyrics were good, but hated her voice. He doesn't like her, but doesn't hate her either. Today was funny because he likes to analyze the dreams of everyone at our lunch table, and when he heard mine he couldn't think of anything it might mean, so the only reply he could come up with was....

"You listen to way too many Regina Spektor songs. Analysis complete!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:
Originally posted by SmallTownMoon:

I have to talk about my friend Chris. When he first heard Regina he said her lyrics were good, but hated her voice. He doesn't like her, but doesn't hate her either. Today was funny because he likes to analyze the dreams of everyone at our lunch table, and when he heard mine he couldn't think of anything it might mean, so the only reply he could come up with was....

"You listen to way too many Regina Spektor songs. Analysis complete!"

way to spread the word child

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this