Sign in to follow this  
Yablonya

This may be scary to talk about, but I don't know what to do

I just, oh my God

I just found out that my friend committted suicide today.

I reallly don't know just

oh, it's all starting to hit me, i'm shaking, and hot, and I'm starting to cry

she was staying in a kind of "home," for young people with slight mental illness, she had manic depression and a bad history of mental illness in her family

i uh

has this ever happened to anyone? I don't know what to do right now, I never thought of this happening to me or to HER, oh God

I'm sorry to disturb you.

I would tell my friend, but I don't think I can speak right now

I just, oh my God

I just found out that my friend committted suicide today.

I reallly don't know just

oh, it's all starting to hit me, i'm shaking, and hot, and I'm starting to cry

she was staying in a kind of "home," for young people with slight mental illness, she had manic depression and a bad history of mental illness in her family

i uh

has this ever happened to anyone? I don't know what to do right now, I never thought of this happening to me or to HER, oh God

I'm sorry to disturb you.

I would tell my friend, but I don't think I can speak right now

I'm so sorry to hear this.

I can't even fathom how you must be feeling right now. The only thing that I can possibly tell you is that only time will make things better.

I know I'm not very helpful with things like this, but I wanted to express my condolences.

Y-

Having just experienced a death to a close family member I can empathize.

I have insight into depression but that's probably a conversation best held off line. If you'd like to discuss this further my e-mail is in the E-Mail Directory in the "Other" forum.

In the meantime my sincerest and deepest condolences go out to you and your friend's family.

G

i know how it is to loose young friend, although she was killed by a drunk driver. recently i was at a friends house asleep while she tried to commit suicide and i had to call 911, it was the most scary experience of my life, and i still have nightmares about it even though it was about a month ago. my deepest sympathies, i feel for you, and you are in my prayers.

i am sorry for your loss, all you can do is wait and let grieving take its natural flow. it will get worse, but it will get better too. im also open to email if you feel like you need to talk about it with an objective source.

I'm so sorry that had to happen to you. To be honest this post has really upset me as my best friend has just been admitted into a psychiatric hospital. Its hard to believe when someone so close to you goes through with these things. Even though we know they're not, I think its so easy for us to think those close to us are invincible.

Best wishes.

I'm really sorry to hear that, Yab. Depression is a really complicated thing. All I can really think to tell you is to not try to...overanalyze anything. It just makes everything a whole lot harder to deal with.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you and your friend's family.

I've had some experience with this situation too. Processing the disorienting nature of something like this is very difficult, because it seems so needless and senseless, and makes us look at our own everyday lives in a different way and realize how much we take for granted or don't even necessarily think about. You wonder "what else that I wasn't fearing should I be afraid of? What else is going to really surprise and hurt me?"

But, as we grow older, many things happen that are difficult to reconcile with what we think the world is like or what we've come to expect from our usual day-to-day experience. We lose things we valued, people we loved. Sometimes it's gradual, sometimes it's sudden. Over time we realize that the world is not always what we expect it will be, but that we can only choose to keep learning, to keep growing, to keep moving forward.

There is something essential at the core of each one of us that is connected to everyone else, and the loss of another person with whom you've really felt that connection is a loss that's not easy to process or accept or comprehend.

But, if I can be forgiven for this quotation:

"The world is ever-lasting. It's coming and it's going."

We just do the best we can. We share. We trust. We love. We feel the loss when we lose someone. But we don't give up hope, and we just keep being who we are and try to give as much as we can, and to appreciate everyone around us.

When we lose someone to death, we can't be empirically sure what form they will take next -- but nothing is truly lost, and we carry a little of everyone we know, love or care about with us. And we just keep doing the best we can, and try to help those we know do the same.