Sign in to follow this  
BitsOfBone

Sexuality

First off I am a straight male. I believe that homosexuality is absolutely fine and I am going to tell my kids that its okay to be homosexual and to never make anyone feel down about there religion, sexuality, race, or gender. Me personally, I think homosexuality is in genes, we have some scientific data that leans towards this and my father told me that he knew his friends son was gay when he was five. And of course, he grew up to be gay.

To counter this, Bjorks arqument makes some pretty good sense too....

"I think everyone's bisexual to some degree or another; it's just a question of whether or not you choose to recognize it and embrace it. Personally, I think choosing between men and women is like choosing between cake and ice cream. You'd be daft not to try both when there are so many different flavours."

I think this makes a great 300th post for me. Smiler

well, since this thread has found its way to the top, i guess i'll share my thoughts on it, as well. I haven't read all of the posts (20 pages is a lot of discussion!) but from what i've seen, most hold a liberal/accepting viewpoint on this.

i've said before that i've grown up in the church, and our church's main mission is to stick to the bible. Still, i have some questions about God's view and involvement in peoples' sexualities.

i know for a fact that homosexuality doesn't mean no heaven. i know it doesn't mean you are to be murdered. But just what does it mean?

i'll keep looking for answers to these sorts of questions, but in the meantime, i'll share what i thnk and what i've learned (from the bible, sermons, people, discussion, and meditation).

People can be born gay/bi, or they can learn the behavior. i don't know whether someone can "become straight". i think people can develop homosexual tendencies as they age, so why couldn't things go the other way?

I don't think there's something wrong with a given gay/bi person. if you're gay, it just means you're attracted to others of your gender. If you're a christian, i believe that this is refered to as "the sin that so easily besets you", and so a homosexual brother or sister in Christ struggles with urges/thoughts about people of their same gender just like i struggle with thoughts about those of a different gender! i don't judge gays, and i don't feel superior to them, or many others, for that matter (i admit, i have trouble seeing myself on the same level as biggots, haters, and certain athiests i've spoken with).

So, yah.. i've wondered about my own sexuality just like everyone i've met. if you deny it, you're probably a homophobe lol. i'm at school, and i selected this campus partly because they guaranteed /all/ kinds of diversity, and they didn't disappoint! Wink

also, i have a problem with people being told, "once you make up your mind that fact A is true about you, then you will automatically fit with pattern B, attitude C, and behavior D." in other words, boys who sew, care about interior design, and dislike sports are considered "gay". But when did hobbies become the determining factor in one's sexuality? And if a girl dislikes dresses, is great at sports, and doesn't watch chick flicks or paint her nails, she's a lesbian. That doesn't make sense to me, and i think it's offensive to all parties involved. my dad's a hardcore homophobe, and i get personally offended when he uses derogatory names to refer to people because of their sexuality, or especially when he directs a slur intended for a homosexual/bisexual person toward someone who has not established their sexuality one way or another (or another lol). i've talked to him about it, but he just claims he's joking. Sure.

a quick statement about the church/the conservatives: I've met very few people who have a negative view of gays, as people. the main reason we've made a bad name for ourselves is 1. some christians want to adhere to the old testament "stone 'em, already!" sentiment, which Jesus Himself clearly overthrew, and God's people are not /ever/ to kill, hate, disrespect, or put down anyone. Our job is to be tolerant, loving, honest, and, above all, to provide the gospel.

2: some people a LOT of people use christianity as an excuse to hate people who are different from them (evidence by the racial segrgation still existing in the church today. i mean, racism? really???) but, for the most part, the people who identify themselves as christian/conservative are either indifferent or more accepting on GLBT issues, as christians should be.

Just make sure that you don't become so wrapped up in disagreeing with the hateful attutude exuding from the church that you become exactly what you have a problem with: an intolerant, misinformed, ignorant, single-minded person. Don't judge the church the way you think the curch is judging gays. if i need to give you a reason, i might just cry.

sorry this is so long! sheesh!

Just spent like half an hour reading this thread and liked a lot the fact that you were all very honest and open-minded! Also funny! I laughed a lot at some parts Razzer

I have a huge problem when it comes to relations. Well, I have three problems. First, I'm f***ing afraid of commitment. Second, most of the time when I meet a guy which personality I really like, I can't feel attracted to him in a physical way. And vice-versa. Third, so it is really hard to me to find some one which I fully feel attracted to.

I'm starting to think that I'm asexual. Big Grin

quote:
Your opinion?

Ok, I need to know if this girl is as gay as I think she is.

She goes to my college. Normally I would just ask someone if they’re gay but she’s REALLY hot and I don’t want to look stupid.

Could someone with gaydar or some more experienced lesbian give me a clue.

Here’s some cliché info that makes me think she’s gay:

Clothes: Vests, tank tops, t shirts (oh and my favorite: a pair of black leather pants.)

Grooming: No maintenance hair, no makeup, doesn’t pluck her eyebrows, short fingernails and no nail polish.

Favorite music: Kimya Dawson, Bright Eyes, Regina Spektor.

And she has a motorcycle...well...it’s more like a dirt bike.

Is all that just coincidence and the product of attending a liberal college?

Plus in a group she’s really confident and when we talk one on one she seems nervous. But the last time I saw her I was kind of upset and she actually HUGGED me. I almost died.

I feel like we’ve been flirting for nearly two months and she’s driving me insane. I’ll probably have to make the first move because I’m very femme and people generally don’t realize that I’m a lesbian until I tell them. So even if she were interested she might not know that I’m interested back.

I’ll see her this Saturday. Should I ask her out?

http://www.afterellen.com/node/61342

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:
Your opinion?

Ok, I need to know if this girl is as gay as I think she is.

She goes to my college. Normally I would just ask someone if they’re gay but she’s REALLY hot and I don’t want to look stupid.

Could someone with gaydar or some more experienced lesbian give me a clue.

Here’s some cliché info that makes me think she’s gay:

Clothes: Vests, tank tops, t shirts (oh and my favorite: a pair of black leather pants.)

Grooming: No maintenance hair, no makeup, doesn’t pluck her eyebrows, short fingernails and no nail polish.

Favorite music: Kimya Dawson, Bright Eyes, Regina Spektor.

And she has a motorcycle...well...it’s more like a dirt bike.

Is all that just coincidence and the product of attending a liberal college?

Plus in a group she’s really confident and when we talk one on one she seems nervous. But the last time I saw her I was kind of upset and she actually HUGGED me. I almost died.

I feel like we’ve been flirting for nearly two months and she’s driving me insane. I’ll probably have to make the first move because I’m very femme and people generally don’t realize that I’m a lesbian until I tell them. So even if she were interested she might not know that I’m interested back.

I’ll see her this Saturday. Should I ask her out?

http://www.afterellen.com/node/61342

So if a girl wears T-shirts (LIKE ME), that means she's lesbian? GOOD TO KNOW.

Edit: I also don't do anything to my hair except brush it, and I also keep my nails short and rarely wear nail polish!

But I will disregard the whole listening-to-Regina thing because of course THAT'S just narrow-minded.

dude, lol

what is with the stereotypes? people are just people, you know? you can't judge something as personal as sexuality based on appearances. Don't make judgements based on musical tastes, clothes, hair, nails, anything like that. Until someone makes it plain to you honestly, you can't assume they're straight, or that they're gay... how can you think that listening to regina... nevermind. that post confuses me.