Sign in to follow this  
BitsOfBone

Sexuality

I agree with Morricone that your Mum is probably partly just afraid of something she doesn't know about. Many people who have never known anyone who is gay (that is, have never known anyone who admitted to being gay) think of homosexuality as in the same realm as child molesting, and they associate it with getting AIDS. They just need to get to know some real live gay people to change their way of thinking.

This is true of all prejudices, right? I have a friend who is white and married an African man. Her parents, who lived in the south, refused to go to the wedding. But you know what? Time passed, the parents woke up and saw what a good man their son-in-law was, how well he treated their daughter, and how gorgeous and sweet their kids were, and now they are perfectly fine about it. Not only that, they are more open-minded in general as a result. (Well, a little more.)

I have known moms who learned that their kids were gay. They were apprehensive at first, only because they worried it would be harder to meet partners and have a good life. But I hope the world is getting more tolerant day by day. Certainly there are areas in the country where being gay is totally acceptable.

I was at my daughter's school the other day and heard some kids talking about a display on a bulletin board showing famous gay people. One of them was Cary Grant. This boy said to two girls, "Cary Grant was gay?? No way!" and then he quickly said, "Not that there's anything wrong with that! I'm just surprised." It sounded like he was afraid of his friends thinking ill of him---I thought that was a good sign, that the social stigma in the school is against intolerance!

By the way, that bulletin board included an amazing array of writers, artists, scientists, musicians. Maybe you should slyly make a list of famous, talented gay people and every now and then spring one on your Mum, gently, like "Gee Mum, I never knew ___ was gay, did you?" It would be kind of like helping her get to know some gay people...

There's nothing at all wrong with homesexuals, it's just different. In my country they can marry too... I do get a bit upset when I see foreign debates on same-sex marriage or homosexuality in general. the anti-gay debaters are all christian fundamentalists who call gay couples inhuman and damn whole countries for allowing homosexuality. And it's all ignorance too, most homosexuals are normal people and homosexuality is not contagious, a thing these Christians seem to think. They're like: "If this country allows same sex marriage, then everyone will become gay and we'll all go to hell".

quote:
Originally posted by mooebon:

I was at my daughter's school the other day and heard some kids talking about a display on a bulletin board showing famous gay people. One of them was Cary Grant. This boy said to two girls, "Cary Grant was gay?? No way!" and then he quickly said, "Not that there's anything wrong with that! I'm just surprised." It sounded like he was afraid of his friends thinking ill of him---I thought that was a good sign, that the social stigma in the school is against intolerance!

"Not that there's anything wrong with that!

A line made famous actually on Seinfeld believe it or not.

Well, I'd have to say that Cary Grant must have at least been "bi," because he definitely had long-term significant relationships with several women, and not "just for show" like someone like Rock Hudson, who was afraid to come out.

In fact, these claims of Cary Grant having been gay are fairly recent, and stem in large part to the years in which he shared a house with Randolph Scott. They claimed that they were just two bachelors (and in fact there were numerous parties there with lots of women). The "gay" theories (which have surfaced since his death) are not conclusive, in my opinion, though I'm perfectly willing to believe that he might have had some sex with men at some point in his life. But unlike Rock Hudson, this was never a "common knowledge" thing, and the claims of the recent book have been dismissed by many others.

I was surprised to hear recently some guy on XM Radio talking about his new book where he claims Spencer Tracy was gay! Um. That's a hard one to believe also.

I don't really doubt that people in that whole Hollywood community might be been very experimental with each other, and that the lines were drawn less clearly. Leonard Bernstein, who I met once, clearly had gay involements but also marriages and affairs with women. His daughter once remarked to an interviewer "oh, Daddy just loves everybody."

Whether or not Cary Grant had the occasional dalliances with men early in his career (and I'm skeptical myself -- I don't think the Randolph Scott shared house proves that at all), he was definitely significantly involved with several women and wives in his life! What seems far more likely, in terms of "labels", was that Cary Grant was straight, but had a few cross-gender adventures.

from Wikipedia:

Grant himself always denied the rumors. When comedian Chevy Chase joked about Grant being gay in a television interview with Tom Snyder in 1980 ("Oh, what a gal!") Grant sued him for slander; they settled out of court.[citation needed]

Grant complained to writer/director Peter Bogdanovich about the Chevy Chase incident, emphatically insisting that while he had many gay friends, including Cukor, William Haines, and costume designer Orry-Kelly, that while he had nothing against homosexuals, he was not one himself.[7]

In a 2004 interview for the Turner Classic Movies production, Cary Grant: A Class Apart, Grant's third wife, Betsy Drake, also denied the rumors, saying, "I didn't have time to think about his homosexuality. We were too busy f**king."

with Audrey (awww): http://www.biografiasyvidas.com/actores/fotos/hepburn2.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by rosa_de_oro:

Whoa!!!! I didn't know Cary Grant was gay either!!!!! ConfusedConfusedConfused I thought he was crazy about Sophia Loren!! Or was that someone else? Confused

How could he be crazy about Sofia, when Audrey was so obviously more attractive!

I remember reading that Sofia modeled herself on Audrey and they were quite good friends, which is odd because they seem so different.

I never thought Cary Grant was gay, and I have a really good Gay-dar.. I bet he just made a joke about it and the press blew it up.

Aww I'm so in the mood to watch 'Charade' now!

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:and finally i figured out that i could never fall in love with a woman. i just couldnt, i think girls are beautiful and smat and funny and a whole hell of a lot better kissers that most guys, but i couldnt date them. i could definatly fall into lust with a girl, and have alot of fun (winkwink) but i could never actually have a relationship, so what does that make me? i dont know but at least i know where i stand.

This is just like me. I can lust and lust and lust but there's just nothing there. A relationship with a woman might be easier for many reasons, but I just can't fall in love with another woman. Jess, I think we love c**k way too much [pardon my language, stix-er's].

I think you could call us curiously straight.