mooebon

Regina is everywhere

We're all rooting for George to graduate sometime soon here.. "oh, it's been years, it's been years, it's been years, it's been many, many years" Razzer (jk. Obviously..)

Jamie R:

this was sooo fun to organize and research!

the assignment was to kind of test-run another person's creative process: an artist, inventor, etc.

Ksenia was a big help, as she directed me to an NPR interview where regina talks about how her songs are stories that are very real in a way, because they're based in reality, and are charged with real emotions.

So, my presention had to be 15-20 minutes.

First 5 min, i talked about the storytelling, dynamic body of work she presents, and how listeners tend to have similar impressions of undevelopped characters, or places, or we pick up on details that she never directly explains.

Next 5 min, i explained that she spends time observing things/people, as well as writing about both historial and literary characters, and i played the song i wrote about Sybil (it was legitimately horrible... my first songwriting attempt Smiler)

Next, i pointed out that the class was divided up according to their handouts: observers and observed's. Observed people acted out a scene, and observers had to write about it. (this was super-entertaining when it was established that an office worker was "smelly", b/c it reminded me of Consequence of sounds Smiler)

I finished by playing the Revolve Dance Company's dance to CoS, which i assumed was autobiographical about regina's creative process..

then i handed out pennies with the first verse of Lucky Penny, encouraging everyone to drop them for someone else to find haha

My pofessor really liked Consequence, and said he'd look into getting regina to come to campus... our podunk little campus.. i'm crossing my fingers like you wouldn't believe! haha

That sounds like such a fun project/presentation to give!

As for Reg going to your school, it is very possible. I go to the biggest, oldest university in Missouri and she ended up in the Podunk town of Kirksville at the rather small Truman State.

Tonight I went to Battle of the Bands at our high school, and one of the people announcing started absentmindedly playing That Time on the dulcimer. Of course, I started freaking out and singing at the top of my lungs and got many funny looks, but it was so worth it. The later she started playing Fidelity on piano.

I made a point of telling her afterward that she made my evening, and she said that we should bond over our Regina love. There you go. Regina bringing people together!

"Petty began her directing career doing music videos for Regina Spektor, the internationally acclaimed singer, songwriter and pianist. The two have collaborated on nearly a dozen promos and are currently working on a full-length concert film. "

What now??

^^ awe-some

also, just said hi to regina before only son's set at cake shop a couple of hours ago (my hopes for a top secret late night set were dashed, though)

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie R.:

"Petty began her directing career doing music videos for Regina Spektor, the internationally acclaimed singer, songwriter and pianist. The two have collaborated on nearly a dozen promos and are currently working on a full-length concert film. "

What now??

i just made a really weird noise hahaha. Kind of a mix between a crow and an asthmatic kitten...

That's amazing! Eeker

quote:
The two have collaborated on nearly a dozen promos and are currently working on a full-length concert film.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin