mooebon

Regina is everywhere

I, too, was disappointed in their list, but they have been very supportive of Regina. Bob Bolen, who is NPR's main music guy has said so many great things about her---he was head over heels at Bonnaroo---I knew the omission was because Live in London had not come out when the list was put together.

Still, the list does not include Nellie McKay's great album, Home Sweet Mobile Home, KT Tunstall's Tiger Suit, She and Him's Volume Two, or the Weepies Be My Thrill. As an old guy I would also have added the Live at the Troubador from Carole King and James Taylor and as a secret hipster, the Sing Me to Sleep collection of Indie Lullabies that includes a Jenny Owen Youngs cover of Have You Forgotten and other beauties. So, yeah, Arcade Fire, Tallest Man on Earth, etc. But the creative work mentioned here is worth three tons of the pop crap on their list. Worst one in years.

You were over the top on the Regina issue and I certainly want NPR to survive. But in yelling at them for their list, you were not that far off.

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

One place that Regina Spektor isn't is on the Best Music of 2010 on NPR's All Things Considered podcast.

Vote For The Best Music Of 2010

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allso...519491/musicvote2010

The Albums of 2010

http://www.npr.org/series/1314...orite-albums-of-2010

Screw you, NPR editors - you're a bunch of no-good wankers. I hope the Republicans do take away your government funding. You'd deserve it for not giving RegiSpek the love she deserves.

I wrote this little comment on the site to give voice to my absolute disdain and contempt for not even mentioning RS (I had way more to say, but the stupid pop-up messages kept informing me that I have exceeded the 1250 characters limit):

"There are no album/songs by Regina Spektor listed; this is a huge oversight.

Regina Spektor is a pianist, singer-songwriter, and composer, originally from Moscow in the USSR, now residing in the Bronx, NY. Her music tries hard to not be pigeon-holed into any one genre. She sometimes ventures outside her usual indie folk-rock style to include some uncharacteristic rap and country songs. She has a distinctive and playful voice that accompanies her lyrics that can range from being light-hearted and nonsensical to being existential and profound. She originally wanted to be a professional concert pianist, but decided that she lacked the rigorous discipline for it. Her classical roots are evident in the musical arrangements of her songs that tend to feature just her voice and a few classical instruments. She is absolutely phenomenal live. In fact, I prefer her minimalist live performances over the overproduced studio versions of most songs. Having listened to her entire discography, including six albums and over 52 unreleased live songs, I have concluded that she is the best contemporary female singer-songwriter. And she can sell records without exploiting her beauty and sex. Please listen to any of her songs and give her due credit."

EDIT: I overreacted.

I suppose they left her out because 'Far' (2009) can't be considered, and her 'Live in London' album came out a bit late.

I did a little research and they did mention her twice for their 'Best of' lists in 2009: Poll Results: The Best Music Of 2009 (So Far) - http://www.npr.org/blogs/allso...est_of_the_year.html

Opps. I should have thought this through before wishing ill-will onto NPR. I'm sorry, NPR, I love you. Actually, just this very morning, I was listening to a very interesting segment about vertical farming and hydroponics. So much so, that I did my own research and had a cool discussion with one of my favorite professors about it.

btw, I have been a bit absent in commenting on here more than recently, but do know that I have been checking regularly on here, reading new posts, and watching over you guys like a super-sexy guardian angel. =)

I love you guys; that's why I'm queer. ;-)

@lennonist - Regina has been featured on NPR programs several times in the past, so they do have a lot of respekt for her incredible talent. I'm glad you realized your error. It's very important to fully investigate things before flying off the deep end.

If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the Grammys for completely ignoring artists like Regina time and time again. It's disgraceful.

The Grammys are simply a parade of commercial garbage. They can "disrespekt" Regina all they want. The day they find value in her is the day we will all learn how to fly.

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

@lennonist - Regina has been featured on NPR programs several times in the past, so they do have a lot of respekt for her incredible talent. I'm glad you realized your error. It's very important to fully investigate things before flying off the deep end.

If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at the Grammys for completely ignoring artists like Regina time and time again. It's disgraceful.

I just read this in an interview with Alexa Joel (Billy's daughter):

But her real idols are women crooners who have made it on their own, like Katy Perry, Lily Allen and Regina Spektor.

"I saw Regina Spektor play last summer, and I was too shy to meet her," she said. "Maybe this year I'll work up the nerve. I'm just enamored by her."

Must mean Billy's listening too. Smiler

I was at the DES the other day waiting for over 2 hours. They kept yelling out names of people when it was there turn to come up. And it was always the first and last name. Always. But then one of the dudes yelled out just 'Regina' really loud three different times. 'REGINA"!!! X 3 without the last name. If it was Regina Johnson or Regina Gonzales it probably wouldn't have been that significant, but it was just 'REGINA'!!! with no last name. It woke me up from my waiting stupor and it made me think of all sorts of nice things. Smiler I realized right then that the for me the name Regina will never be ordinary again.