mooebon

Regina is everywhere

lol that's just terrible.

I always think that's the lamest thing, not just went it's a regina ripoff. "Oh hey, I LOVE this song so much that I will have some much worse singer/musician make a knockoff for a tiny fraction of the cost."

^ I agree. I just laughed really hard when I heard that.

Probably 4 months ago I heard 'Better' in the mall. I never wrote about that. It was my first time hearing her at a public place. I thought it was just in my head and then I realized that it was for real. Smiler I started jumping all around shaking my friend. I was so happy.

Now I work at the same mall. But the opposite thing happens to me almost everyday: I try to catch a sound thinking it is Reg singing but I always fail. And though I hear the same music (they play it everyday), I keep trying to hear if it's Reg. Isn't it weird. Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Minsky:

I was at the DES the other day waiting for over 2 hours. They kept yelling out names of people when it was there turn to come up. And it was always the first and last name. Always. But then one of the dudes yelled out just 'Regina' really loud three different times. 'REGINA"!!! X 3 without the last name. If it was Regina Johnson or Regina Gonzales it probably wouldn't have been that significant, but it was just 'REGINA'!!! with no last name. It woke me up from my waiting stupor and it made me think of all sorts of nice things. Smiler I realized right then that the for me the name Regina will never be ordinary again.

When I worked at some cafe people had to write their names on receipts so we could call them when food was ready. So one day I read 'Regina'. I got so freaked out. But later I called the name and was so proud. haha

David Rohde, New York Times reporter kidnapped by the Taliban who later escaped after over seven months in captivity (and author of an upcoming book with his wife about all of that called "A Rope and a Prayer") to Christiane Amanpour on This Week on ABC last Sunday:

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek...y?id=12468910&page=4

quote:

AMANPOUR: You were not religious.

ROHDE: No. And even from our time reporting in Bosnia, you know, we've seen, you know, religion taken to extremes can be a very destructive force. And I was with these young militants who had been deluded into thinking was a religious war.

They despised me because I was unclean. They said because I wasn't Muslim, they didn't want to eat food from the same plate as me. They believed that the U.S. Army was, you know, forcibly converting Afghan Muslims to Christianity.

But I, in my time in captivity did end up saying prayers myself. I don't know, I'm still skeptical about organized religion.

Meaning, I think, no one laughs at God when they are captured by the Taliban.

Regina, at least to me, is everywhere.

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

Here's a scene from Wild Target where they use Hotel Song.

I don't like how they altered Regina's voice to take out "cocaine"

Puts Reg in great company there, since in the late 1950s or early 1960s, his record company (Columbia) required Sinatra to sing these words from the great Cole Porter song, I Get a Kick Out of You:

quote:
Some get a kick from cocaine

i'm sure that if i took even one sniff

that would bore me terrificly too

yet i get a kick out of you

as

quote:

Some like the perfume in Spain

i'm sure that if i took even one sniff

that would bore me terrificly too

yet i get a kick out of you

Sinatra, Cole Porter and our Regina. Perfect.

On the off chance anybody here cares about what some guy who grew up in the sixties and seventies thinks to be the best music of 2010, my list is here:

Live in London, Regina Spektor

Lonely Avenue, Ben Folds/Nick Hornby

Volume Two, She and Him

...Home Sweet Mobile Home, Nellie McKay

Bess Rogers Presents Bess Rogers, Bess Rogers

Featuring Norah Jones, Norah Jones, etc.

Live the Troubador, Carole King/James Taylor

Sing Me To Sleep - Indie Lullabies

Be My Thrill, The Weepies

The Suburbs, Arcade Fire

and is dicussed in excessive depth here:

http://edsbarth.blogspot.com/2...est-albums-2010.html