mooebon

Regina is everywhere

I was reading a site that was listing albums of women indie artists, and I swear, in every review, there was a reference to Regina. I read about 10 of them. In that genre, Regina seems to always be used as a touchstone or comparison. Like- 'If you like Regina Spektor...', or 'She has 20% Regina Spektor and...', or, 'She has a little of the quirkiness of Regina Spektor...', or, she's a cross between Regina Spektor and...'. A lot of comments like that. I'm sure all of you guys have seen how true that it is, I just thought I'd mention it. Regina really is everywhere. Smiler

Regina's everywhere-ness threw me off her scent for a while. Back when Begin to Hope came out and I was still heavily into Soviet Kitsch, I was at a hot dog eating establishment and one of her new songs came on the radio. I don't remember which track it was, but it sounded too poppy and ornamented for my tastes. I said "Another one bites the dust" or some such thing to myself, and didn't pursue the record. (Not that I buy many anyway.)

It wasn't until Far was out or on its way and I saw a promotional video of "Laughing With" and was just completely floored, that the haste in my judgement became clear to me. I got Begin to Hope and Far that Christmas and I love all of both of them. I just love her stripped down performances extra special. :-)

This seems as good a place as any to write this, so:

I was listening to Ella Fitzgerald on a long plane ride recently, and got half-way through the album before I had an epiphany moment: early Regina sounds SO MUCH like her! I'm sure this has been written about elsewhere, but it finally clicked for me in that moment. On the plane. Where I had a little fit. Thankfully I was sitting alone in my aisle and the people around me all know me well. A nice little Regina moment at 20,000 feet above the ground.

quote:
Originally posted by Klachopis:

Regina's everywhere-ness threw me off her scent for a while. Back when Begin to Hope came out and I was still heavily into Soviet Kitsch, I was at a hot dog eating establishment and one of her new songs came on the radio. I don't remember which track it was, but it sounded too poppy and ornamented for my tastes. I said "Another one bites the dust" or some such thing to myself, and didn't pursue the record. (Not that I buy many anyway.)

It wasn't until Far was out or on its way and I saw a promotional video of "Laughing With" and was just completely floored, that the haste in my judgement became clear to me. I got Begin to Hope and Far that Christmas and I love all of both of them. I just love her stripped down performances extra special. :-)

I love the honesty of your message. With how personal her music can be to us, it's kind of easy for us to sometimes wish she'd go this way or stay that way. I do it. I preach my head off about my devotion, but inside sometimes I wish she'd stick to a certain way. But It's wrong. Her way is to never stick to a certain way. And if Regina happens to have some commercial success, it has nothing to do with selling out, she is just being liked for great music that's catchy. And If it's catchy like 'Fidelity', then, so be it. It's still Regina. '20 years of 'frickin weird great' snow' & 'Edit' are on the same album. Most artists don't know what's gonna be a hit or not. And if she produces her songs more, it's not because of selling out either, it's just her getting in a studio, which she always wished she could of done all along but couldn't afford it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie R.:

This seems as good a place as any to write this, so:

I was listening to Ella Fitzgerald on a long plane ride recently, and got half-way through the album before I had an epiphany moment: early Regina sounds SO MUCH like her! I'm sure this has been written about elsewhere, but it finally clicked for me in that moment. On the plane. Where I had a little fit. Thankfully I was sitting alone in my aisle and the people around me all know me well. A nice little Regina moment at 20,000 feet above the ground.

Nice. Regina is very Ella. But, you know what? Ella is no Regina. Isn't if kinda funny to think of it backwards like that?

^^I agree that they're very different artists, and of course you're entitled to your opinion. That said, Regina has undoubtedly been influenced by Ella (maybe somewhere she's said so herself?), but i don't think there's any comparison to be made between them.

I have immense amounts of respect for Regina as an artist. Even people who dislike her style and music cannot deny her talent. Regina is very very talented.

However, Ella is in a totally different league! The two are similar in versatility, pleasant disposition, originality, infectious joy, etc. But Ella has a totally different kind of talent than Regina has, and i'd even argue a talent which is more fully realized and certainly more cultivated. I'd say this is the main distinction between the two, besides the fact that their styles of choice hardly overlap.

Regina crafts her songs as she sees fit, but the caliber of her performance is far superior to Regina's. Regina DOES deliver to an extent, but Ella is a showwoman who is hard to compare to much of anyone. A legend for her performance. Regina is legendary in her groundbreaking style and genre-defying creativity.

Both very talented, but I must defend Ella as having a leg up on Reg in at least one category. She performed at an earlier time, but she gives Regina a run for her money, and i believe that Ella comes out the victor in many ways. The easiest to articulate is performance and the cultivation of her talent/style.

Not to knock you, this is all just my opinion... But i really believe that head-to-head, Ella could sing Regina down. Maybe just barely at Regina's best, but as vocalists, Ella wins IMHO

Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

Regina is one of the artist's Obama wants support from.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theg...aylist?newsfeed=true

I wonder if she will...

already did: http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-...ent-campaign-event-1

By the way, the list (if it is real), http://www.tennessean.com/assets/pdf/DN183776111.PDF, has our Regina in really interesting company. I would like to ask the list maker why Regina is just a "singer" while others are called "musicians" but, I'll get over it.

Listen to our Regina. Vote.