mooebon

Regina is everywhere

quote:
Originally posted by almostspotless:

I mean... She's Ella Fitzgerald. Totally agree with you BLTWP. Completely different talents.

Two different styles completely. Ella was the best at what she did. The Songbooks alone are treasures she left us, and then there is the stuff she did with Louis Armstrong, and, oh, so much more.

Regina is in a different genre. No need to compare. Is Ella's singing voice richer than Regina's? Of course. Doesn't make one better than the other. We have been graced by both and I am grateful.

Oh no, I didn't mean that as in Regina's better, It's kinda hard to explain. It's easy to listen to Regina and say 'I hear some Ella Fitzgerald influence.' And it's obvious, and I'm sure Regina would be the first to praise Ella Fitzgerald for her incredible talent and influence. I just felt it funny that it wouldn't ever be compared the other way around because Regina is so different, and if Ella Fitzgerald were alive at the same time. Maybe I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Smiler There's something in my head I'm trying to convey, but I can see I'm sounding stupid as I'm writing this. Smiler It wasn't a comparing it was an observation.

I did count 56 Ella Fitzgerald songs on my computer that I've downloaded throughout the years. One of my favorites is her lyric version of 'Take the A-Train'.

I think it is fair to say that if you like Regina you should also like Ella. And, Regina's version of My Man tells us that an album where she sings standards (the way Ronstadt did twice and Carly Simon at least once) would be nothing less than spectacular. She has no easy access to that music, since her parents did not grow up here, but I know she knows a lot of it.

Cool little snippet from an interview with Ronnie Wood of the Rolling Stones. I've heard him say this about Regina before actually:

Ronnie Wood

© WENN

Ronnie Wood has claimed that the spirit of the Rolling Stones exists in many modern bands.

The guitarist told ShortList that there are several groups who are carrying on the legacy of the band he joined in 1975.

Wood said: "The spirit still lives on in bands such as The Killers and Kings of Leon. There's a germ of it still there.

"I like listening to a lot of modern stuff, too. Regina Spektor is great. I can't wait to see what more she's capable of."

Asked if he and the rest of the Stones did impressions of their frontman Mick Jagger, Wood admitted: "Yeah, we all do, in our funny ways.

"In front of him, of course. There's nothing behind the back. Now, who does the best Mick? I think Charlie [Watts]."