mooebon

Regina is everywhere

755 posts in this topic

To be fair, an example of yellowface that I can think of offhand is when white actors portrayed Asian characters in old movies; I know that's not specifically a geisha costume, but yellowface did/does exist, and it took away opportunities for Asian actors to portray their own culture/history. And as a Mexican American I definitely get irritated when I see people wearing sombreros and ponchos when they're out drinking, etc. Ultimately I find it strange when anyone sees an aspect of someone else's culture as a costume rather than a real part of their ethnicity or culture/a stigma they live with, but some people absolutely take it too far when they condemn appropriation. To be honest I was disappointed when I saw Regina's costume last year, but she hardly deserved the criticism she received.

Wow, Rosa! It's good to see you on here!! I hope all is well :)

As far as your post, I understand where you are coming from, and I agree that cultural appropriation is a real thing. I just think applying terms like racist, cultural appropriation, etc are completely uncalled for when it comes to halloween costumes, specifically Regina's last year. The aim is to portray a new identity for a night, some people are witches, hopefully this is not an example of religious insensitivity. Others are police officers, and I would like to think that this does not descriminate against actual law officers. I would like to ask these "activists" how geishas or any other individual, of any race is at all affected by a costume? It is a nonsequiter in my mind.

I think it's possible to have a tasteless halloween costume, but simply dressing as someone/something does not automatically translate to being offensive, otherwise we should outlaw halloween. Besides, to me it is clear Regina had no such intention. It's not her politics, her demeanor, or her typical behavior. It's fine for people to stick up against injustice, but in this case, there was none, so they just picked on regina with hashtags, it's nonsense imo.

robertaxel likes this

As far as the reference to police officer costumes, I would hardly compare a profession to a culture. And I know Regina didn't want to offend anyone, just like most people in tasteless costumes aren't dressing up that way with the intent to offend someone. The problem lies in the ignorance of what you're representing, like when someone dresses as a Native American but the costume sexualizes the culture/makes it generic, as if thousands of tribes with their own distinct aspects don't exist. It's a shame when people take their criticism too far, to the point that their reactions are more damaging than the costumes themselves, and I know Regina doesn't deserve that—not disagreeing with anyone on that front. But it's valid to acknowledge that her costume wasn't in the best taste.

And it's good to see you around here too, I hope you've been doing well!

bum bum bum and andreseng like this

Huh. That's awesome!

Also: anyone know what's up with Regina lately? She's gone dark on social media...not even a Happy Hannukah post. Hope she's alright!