Sign in to follow this  
Bartender

LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY

ITA. She needs a break!

When I saw her in NYC a couple of weeks ago, her voice sounded spectacular. But she was coughing here and there, as she had in Philly, Cleveland, etc. All that singing with a cold must take a toll eventually. I hope she gets a break soon!

I still don't see why she appeared unhappy...I'm sure she's tired, but yeah, at the end of the show, she was smiling...so I don't think it has any relevance, it was just her getting into the emotions of the song.

But yeah, it really doesn't matter at all.

quote:
Originally posted by 1953:

I disagree with everything on this board...

I thought it was a good performance, I didn't think she looked unhappy afterward - I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about. ):

How did she look unhappy?

I agree with you. These people have lost their mind. Maybe they are projecting the goings-on in their own lives onto Regina.

quote:
Originally posted by I gotta wear shades:

quote:
Originally posted by 1953:

I disagree with everything on this board...

I thought it was a good performance, I didn't think she looked unhappy afterward - I honestly don't know what you guys are talking about. ):

How did she look unhappy?

I agree with you. These people have lost their mind. Maybe they are projecting the goings-on in their own lives onto Regina.

You know, really is difficult to tell what she was thinking or feeling based on this brief clip especially since none of us can be in her mind. I don’t think people here are trying to project anything on her, just assess the situation for what it is. I’m willing write off any expressions during the song as emotion related to the song itself. However, just after the last note has been played, I see disappointment in her eyes. Really, I think she is a good artist who would be critical of her own performance, and even if it was subpar in her eyes only (undetectable by the audience) she may not be entirely pleased with herself. It was good, but undeniably not her best. I think the good people of brumstix are just wondering why because they are concerned for her well-being.

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

Dentistgirl nailed it.

I agree with that completely as well...

I haven't seen this Carson Daly performance, but I KNOW at the Wiltern, she was EXHAUSTED. When she came out for the Encore it took almost 5 minutes for her to come out...

And when she finally did, she sat down at the piano and took a few long, "I'm so fucking exhausted" deep breaths. And sighed very loudly.

I felt really bad for her. I think she really didn't want to do it (because of her health).

I felt like that today and I have a performance tomorrow...so I'm totally right there.

I really hope after this tour is over she will learn to take it easy. I know she couldn't foresee a cold, but it seems her problem is cold+exhaustion from extensive touring. I wouldn't want her to not tour! But she should be doing a bit less than she has been.

She just needs to go home and rest until she can't take it anymore! Poor thing, I just want to give her a big hug!

My thoughts? I've seen her live three times, met her in person twice, and seen, I think, every one of her TV performances, and she looked really tired. I think the performance was actually pretty good, Samson is far from my favorite Regina song, but I think her somewhat melancholy take on it might have actually been an improvement. I'm not to fond of Carson Daly either, I think he's rather dull, but for some reason he has some of the best musical performances on his show. When Regina did her whirlwind tour of all the late shows last year I thought she was best by far on his show, both On The Radio and Better. I know most artist actually perform two songs during taping, and the other song will usually be used during repeat broadcasts of the episode. Does anyone know if she did two and what the other might have been?

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

You know, really is difficult to tell what she was thinking or feeling based on this brief clip especially since none of us can be in her mind. I don’t think people here are trying to project anything on her, just assess the situation for what it is. I’m willing write off any expressions during the song as emotion related to the song itself. However, just after the last note has been played, I see disappointment in her eyes. Really, I think she is a good artist who would be critical of her own performance, and even if it was subpar in her eyes only (undetectable by the audience) she may not be entirely pleased with herself. It was good, but undeniably not her best. I think the good people of brumstix are just wondering why because they are concerned for her well-being.

That's what I was trying to say. I think she is her own harshest critic. She always tells the story of how she recorded Samson for BTH multiple times and then, at the last minute, against everyone's advice, decided to rerecord it AGAIN--because she wasn't happy with her performance (that final round satisfied her).

Of course no one knows for sure, but I don't think that moment where she looks unhappy reflects the emotion of the song because she's actually smiling a little as she ends the song. It's just a split second reaction, after the performance is over. Then she looks at the audience and smiles again. She's s total trooper!

Obviously, if you think she sounded perfect, you will disagree with my interpretation of her expression. But I hope Regina would appreciate fans knowing that this performance was an aberration and feeling bad for her that she had to play on a night when---so very uncharacteristically---she wasn't up to it.

You kinda need to be your own critic when it comes to performing.

It hurts when you're in track and kicking ass and you open your mouth and something comes out that is flat and cracky. It's like you ruined the moment for everyone.

I kept going "s'ok" when that happed the two times and she kinda seemed disappointed.

Frankly, CD's have made people too critical/ aware of people's nuances in their voices, so it's unfair that because of a few weird notes that it equals a "whatev" performance to most.

I liked it! Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by luvthecanadian:

You kinda need to be your own critic when it comes to performing.

It hurts when you're in track and kicking ass and you open your mouth and something comes out that is flat and cracky. It's like you ruined the moment for everyone.

I kept going "s'ok" when that happed the two times and she kinda seemed disappointed.

Frankly, CD's have made people too critical/ aware of people's nuances in their voices, so it's unfair that because of a few weird notes that it equals a "whatev" performance to most.

I liked it! Smiler

Actually, I was comparing it to the performance I saw in NYC a couple of weeks ago. I have been listening to the Dan Lynch recording of it nonstop. Her voice sounded amazing that night. She messed up (forgot words?)in several songs, but I always find that kind of funny and cute. Reminds me I am at a real live performance.

In general, half of the time I am listeing to Reg, it's a live performance. I think she sounds better live! And I think her voice has, if anything, gotten richer and more beautiful over time, but I like all its incarnations. This really is the first and only time I ever thought she sounded off. And I have been watching her tour on YouTube, so I have seen a LOT of performances.

I know a lot of actors have trouble with tiring their voices after they've been sick. For singers, it must be even harder!! I know actors use things like Alexander technique to help avoid strain. I wonder what singers do...

Anyway, I am happy you liked it! Smiler