Sign in to follow this  
Suih

Au-Pair

Hi!

I want to become an Au-Pair in America in a few months and for my application I have to write a personal letter to my host-family.

I would be very thankful if somebody could correct my letter or give me some advice how to make it sound better.

Thank you Smiler

"Hello!

My name is Sophie and I would love to be your new Au-Pair.

I live in Austria in a small town near Vienna. I live in a house with my grand-parents, my parents and my younger brother, so family is very important for me.

One of the main reasons why I want to become your Au-Pair is that I really love to “work” with kids. I think children are great and it’s so much fun to take care of them. It never gets boring, because you can do something different every day.

Once I had an acting course with children between the age of 7 and 12 years. We created our own scenes. There were only one sentence and one thing, which should occur in that “little play”. I found it so interesting to see what these children created out of nothing, only with their fantasy. That was a really great experience.

Another reason to become an Au-Pair is to get to know another culture. I always wanted to go to America to see what life is like there. I also love languages. I have been studying English and French for many years now and I think to live a year abroad is a good opportunity to improve my English skills.

I am looking forward to talking to you.

Yours, Sophie"

Hi!

I want to become an Au-Pair in America in a few months and for my application I have to write a personal letter to my host-family.

I would be very thankful if somebody could correct my letter or give me some advice how to make it sound better.

Thank you Smiler

"Hello!

I live in Austria in a small town near Vienna. I live in a house with my grand-parents, my parents and my younger brother, so family is very important for me.

One of the main reasons why I want to become your Au-Pair is that I really love to “work” with kids. I think children are great and it’s so much fun to take care of them. It never gets boring, because you can do something different every day.

Once I had an acting course with children between the age of 7 and 12 years. We created our own scenes. There were only one sentence and one thing, which should occur in that “little play”. I found it so interesting to see what these children created out of nothing, only with their fantasy. That was a really great experience.

Another reason to become an Au-Pair is to get to know another culture. I always wanted to go to America to see what life is like there. I also love languages. I have been studying English and French for many years now and I think to live a year abroad is a good opportunity to improve my English skills.

Yours, Sophie"

quote:
There were only one sentence and one thing, which should occur in that “little play”.

In this sentence, you should replace "were" with "was"

quote:
I have been studying English and French for many years now and I think to live a year abroad is a good opportunity to improve my English skills.

Here, it would sound more natural in English if you replaced "to live" with "living"

Other than that this, I think all of your grammer is correct. Your English is really, really good!

i agree with the corrections made above, but i think there could also be a few things that would make it more flowing and make you sound like a native speaker. this is very good! you are going to be a great au pair! im so excited for you!

Hello!

I live in Austria in a small town near Vienna. I live in a house with my parents, my grandparents and my younger brother, so family is very important to me.

One of the main reasons why I want to become your Au-Pair is that I really love to work with kids. I think children are great and it’s so much fun to take care of them. It never gets boring, because you can do something new and exciting every day.

Once I taught (did you tach it or take the course?) an acting course with children between the ages of 7 and 12 years old. We created our own scenes. There was only one line and one prop allowed in that small production. I found it so interesting to see what these children created out of nothing, using only their imaginations. It was a really great experience.

Another reason I want to become an Au-Pair is to get to know another culture. I always wanted to go to America to see what life is like there. I also love languages. I have been studying English and French for many years now and I think living a year abroad is a great opportunity to improve my English skills.

Yours Truly,

Sophie

Oh how I miss my job in the school's writing lab.

I pretty much agree with everyone so far. I just tried to work out a few more nit-picking english details. Feel free to use the new wording, or not.

I am from a small town called (insert name of your town) near Vienna, Austria. I live in a house with my grand-parents, parents and younger brother, so family is very important for me.

One of the main reasons I would like to become your Au-Pair, is that I really love to work with kids. I think children are great, and it is so much fun to take care of them. It never gets boring, because I can do something different every day.

Once, I had (I think a word other than had would be better here I’m just not sure what. Did you teach the course?) an acting course with children between the ages of 7 and 12 years. We created our own scenes. The children were given only one sentence to describe the action in the entire “little play”. I found it so interesting to see what the children created out of nothing, using only their imaginations. It was a really great experience.

Another reason I wish to become an Au-Pair is because I believe it will help me get to know another culture. I have always wanted to go to America to see what life is like there. I also love languages. I have been studying English and French for many years now, and I think spending a year abroad would provide an excellent opportunity to improve my English skills.

I look forward to talking with you.

Yours, Sophie

I must say though, you have far better English than a lot of people at my college did!

Thank you so much. Big Grin That was very helpful for me.

All of you are so nice and I'm really proud to be a part of that forum (I'm sure there is a better word for this *gg*)

I hope my letter doesn't sound too native now. I don't want the familiy to have too high expectations Red FaceRazzer

Hi!

I need your help again...

I have to sign an agreement and there is one senctence, where I have to fill in something, but I don't know what.

"Cultural Care Ltd. together with its successors and assignees and the undersigned au pair, Suih (here I have written my real name) with personal identification number _______ ("I", "me" or "my"), for good and valuable consideration, understand and agree to the following terms...

So what should I write after "identification number"? What is this "I", "me" or "my"???

Help Confused!