Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

Disrespektful Audiences

Here are my thoughts on this tour.

It's the folks that don't know her full catalog that are causing problems. Unfortunately, I hate to but have to use those dreaded terms. The BTH-er's. The Jenny Bubblegum's. I don't necessarily blame these newer non-reginitis infected fans. These folks are used to a different type of concert. They only know her most popular songs which when played with a band would stand up to the normal crowd noise associated with that type of show. At a regular concert you'd never notice these folks. But a reg show as we all know is not a regular show. When she is solo, just her and the piano, it just won't work. These folks, somehow, need to be educated in the nuances that are a reg show.

If she continues to play larger venues, for her own sanity, she needs to figure out a way to educate the newer folks. Put a program out or something that reminds the audience of the quiet nature of her show and that they need to respekt those around them by using their indoor voices. Maybe get Jack to explain what her shows like in an amicable manner just before he leaves. I don’t claim to know how to convey this message but something, besides regina, has to give. Even when she has a band there, she will always have the solo portion of the show that dictates quiet reverence.

I'm positive this lack of respekt has added to the stress of her touring and contributed to her recent collapse in Nashville. Some people just don't get it. When she is by herself, it's like going to a piano concert. SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Listen.

I am by no means pointing a finger at any particular venue as it has happened more times than I care to mention on this tour. But something has to change for her own sanity as well as those of us that know her and know how to show respekt.

EDIT: Nor am I pointing my finger at any particular jenny em!

Here are my thoughts on this tour.

It's the folks that don't know her full catalog that are causing problems. Unfortunately, I hate to but have to use those dreaded terms. The BTH-er's. The Jenny Bubblegum's. I don't necessarily blame these newer non-reginitis infected fans. These folks are used to a different type of concert. They only know her most popular songs which when played with a band would stand up to the normal crowd noise associated with that type of show. At a regular concert you'd never notice these folks. But a reg show as we all know is not a regular show. When she is solo, just her and the piano, it just won't work. These folks, somehow, need to be educated in the nuances that are a reg show.

If she continues to play larger venues, for her own sanity, she needs to figure out a way to educate the newer folks. Put a program out or something that reminds the audience of the quiet nature of her show and that they need to respekt those around them by using their indoor voices. Maybe get Jack to explain what her shows like in an amicable manner just before he leaves. I don’t claim to know how to convey this message but something, besides regina, has to give. Even when she has a band there, she will always have the solo portion of the show that dictates quiet reverence.

I'm positive this lack of respekt has added to the stress of her touring and contributed to her recent collapse in Nashville. Some people just don't get it. When she is by herself, it's like going to a piano concert. SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Listen.

I am by no means pointing a finger at any particular venue as it has happened more times than I care to mention on this tour. But something has to change for her own sanity as well as those of us that know her and know how to show respekt.

EDIT: Nor am I pointing my finger at any particular jenny em!

Even though my name is Jenny (haha) I have to completely agree with this post. No crowd is perfect, of course, but people just don't seem to get that they're not seeing a crazy loud band...they've just got one girl up on a stage with a big piano. I've been going to Regina shows for a long time, but it's definitely been in the past year-ish that things have gotten really annoying.

It's great that she's doing so well and playing to huge crowds, but what's the fun if nobody's listening?

Yeah George, I feel ya', but I don't know what the answer is to this either. The first time I saw Regina was last November in Dallas. We unfortunately got to the venue quite late and were only able to get to about mid floor. She was with the band that tour, so she was able to drown out most of the sing-alongs and chatterboxes, but it still made me angry to hear so many people being so disrespectful. Sometimes this sort of thing makes me feel old, as it seems that audiences get more and more stupid as the years progress. The Bonnaroo crowd, at least from where we were near the front was surprisingly quiet during her set, perhaps because a great deal didn't know ANY of her material, maybe they were starstruck by her brilliance, or possibly just woozy from the heat. But the House of Blues crowd, especially those hanging near the bar, needed a good old ass-whoopin'.

One technique I've noticed her employing lately, maybe a deliberate device, is to vary the phrasing and rythym of some more well known songs, to trip-up some of the sing-alongs. The songs we enjoyed the most at HOB were the most unfamiliar ones, Blue Lips, Preservation, and a lovely, stunning version of One More Time With Feeling. This will, I'm afraid, continue to be a challange for her in the future.

How do you maintain an intimate performance atmosphere in venues larger than she is accustomed to, with audiences that may have never been to anything but rowdy rock-n-roll shows? I can't help but to think that as she gets more comfortable with this type of setting, that maybe more interaction with the crowd might help keep the more casual listeners more attentive and enthralled with her performance, and less likely to be chatting-up their buddies.

I hate to resurect this comparison again, but even when Tori Amos does solo shows, to audiences often larger than Regina's, you can almost hear a pin drop during quiet moments in her set. Maybe when the flavor of the moment trendy types move on to someone else, maybe Regina will maintain a more reverent core fanbase like Tori enjoys now.

I just hope this recent experience doesn't jade her in any way, becuase I hope to see her solo again soon, and for years to come.

Hmm I have to agree with you Georege, although I havn't been to see Regina perform (yet) from what I have read and seen, there seems to be a distinct lack of respekt and/or understanding coming from the fans at the moment.

I just hope that Regina remembers that she has a huge amount of fans that are willing to give her the respect she deserves, and wont scream and attempt to sing along while she is giving a heart breaking rendition of Apres Moi... (I can't believe people even sing the Russian verse.)

I know that they mean well and are just trying to show their affections but sometimes it's just time to be quiet and listen, you pay to have Regina sing to you - So let her!

I guess all we can do is lead by example and hope that people grow up quickly!

I had a vision of Regina rolling her eyes and mummbeling:

"I bet Mozart didn't have to put up with this shit!"

while writting this post haha Smiler

quote:
One technique I've noticed her employing lately, maybe a deliberate device, is to vary the phrasing and rythym of some more well known songs, to trip-up some of the sing-alongs. The songs we enjoyed the most at HOB were the most unfamiliar ones, Blue Lips, Preservation, and a lovely, stunning version of One More Time With Feeling. This will, I'm afraid, continue to be a challange for her in the future.

Totally noticed that aswel! It makes me laugh so much, it's clearly to put the sing along people off... They never seem to ger the message though.

quote:
Originally posted by BitsOfBone:

I had a vision of Regina rolling her eyes and mummbeling:

"I bet Mozart didn't have to put up with this shit!"

while writting this post haha Smiler

Nice one Amanda. Totally imaginable....not only can I picture it, I can hear her saying it!

I just want to say I arrived at The Tabenacle on the 15th and was very saddened to see Regina Spektor cancelled. I hope she feels better. I am trying my best to be able to come back on Dec 5th. I have a great seat in the balcony.

I have been a long time Tori Amos fan (16 years) and her shows used to be full of fans who were in quiet bliss, listening to every note...a lot like I have found the Regina Spektor fans to be. However, the last two Tori concerts I just attended, the crowd was unlike any other. LOUD, sing-along types, with more of those people who like to physically emote songs for translation to the rest of the us. The best thing ot do is try and see Regina as much as you can as early as you can, because sadly, it will probably happen to her concerts as well. I think if I have to hear some chick, who knows all the words to one song only...Fidelity... and wants to lets us all know about her "heart.r..rr.rt" I will pop a cap in her face. Meanies, indeed.