Sign in to follow this  
Stepped On A Syringe

Brümstix respekt: Rules, Guidlines, and advisories

quote:
You were not on this forum then and are not aware of the circumstances.

I may not have been around then , but I've read a lot of the old topics, and have seen instances where there was a conflict. The circumstances and reasoning behind these rules are quite clear.

quote:
You can choose to get along.

Right, I agree almost completely. However, you can't force people to "get along" by shoving a bunch of rules in their faces every time they say or do something you don't agree with. If anything, it's only going to stir up more trouble.

People (trolls, in this case), will say and do what they want regardless of how anyone feels. It's in their nature. To expect everyone to get along all of the time would be unnatural. We're not pod people, we're human.

For example, MusicLover has said a lot of things to piss people off. On purpose, I think Smiler. As annoying as he/she may be sometimes, such people give character to the forum. Being a major dissenter does not make his/her contribution any less valid.

When you learn, as I have learned, to be a little less sensitive, and to not take every minor annoyance so seriously, you'll find that it's actually quite entertaining.

quote:
...a great group of people here who get along surprisingly well without moderation.

Exactly! And that's precisely why I think that this rules thread is completely unnecessary (no offense, Syringe, I think you're amazing for having done this). Everyone gets along fine without it.

I understand people who have been members for years wanting to protect the forum from ruffians and "newbs" who seek to cause trouble, but there's no real need for it.

I think Regina has a lot of faith in us. Everyone is on equal footing and everyone is responsible for their own actions. There are no moderators and no admins (and no set rules of conduct) because she probably didn't want people power tripping up in here.

Just my (very humble) opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by incurablehumanist:

However, you can't force people to "get along" by shoving a bunch of rules in their faces every time they say or do something you don't agree with. If anything, it's only going to stir up more trouble.

This was hardly created to be shoved in peoples faces when they say something people don't agree with. You have clearly missed the spirit of this. It merely states some sensible guidelines and helps point people towards resources.

quote:

For example, MusicLover has said a lot of things to piss people off. On purpose, I think Smiler. As annoying as he/she may be sometimes, such people give character to the forum. Being a major dissenter does not make his/her contribution any less valid.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. A contribution is less valid when the the poster's intent is malicious and done on purpose, as you clearly recognize, to only draw a negative reaction and piss people off. People can give character if their posts are statements of their dissenting positions and not personal attacks.

quote:

Just my (very humble) opinion.

To which you're entitled.

Oh and welcome to the stix...... Cool

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

Unfortunately we have no moderator so its a group effort to keep this clean and tidy. SOAS was jus helping out with some great guidelines and info for any newcomers.

This is one of the reasons I like this forum. You can put down the things you want.

It means that every member has the responsibility to keep it clean and tidy. And I think, in the short period I am on the stix, that stixmembers can forgive when you have made an mistake or when you have made a wrong decision.

i admit that i never read the rules, but i do have a thing called common sense, which usually steers me in the right direction. if it doesn't, however, i receive an email from george telling me to stfu or something similar. Smiler <3 i love this forum b/c i can "spam" with people who i do see as friends....or at the very least acquaintances. its nice to be able to unload your mind and get feedback....HONEST feedback. not just someone telling you to bugger off, or flaming you. anyway. this forum is great. the rules are a nice thing to have around.

quote:
Originally posted by Sugardrive:

if it doesn't, however, i receive an email from george telling me to stfu or something similar. Smiler

That's funny. Big Grin The only times I ever sent you an email was to protect your privacy. You're gonna give me a bad rep. Not that I haven't earned one already. People are gonna think I'm like the stix police WinkRazzer