Sign in to follow this  
No Need To Be Alone

Man of a Thousand Faces

Okay, so I'm really liking this song "Man of a Thousand Faces" but I am having an issue. I'm trying to figure out what the lyrics mean. I keep thinking that it has to do with drugs of some kind, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. The lyrics are below, and I made the sections that I made some drug-related areas bold. ALSO: I made a portion of the song into italics. This section is particularly baffling to me. I know that songs don't have one meaning or anything, I'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

The man of a thousand faces

Sits down at the table

Eats a small lump of sugar

And smiles at the moon like he knows her

He begins his quiet ascension

Without anyone's steady instruction

To a place with no religion

He's found a path to her likeness

His words are quiet like stains are

On a tablecloth washed in a river

Stains that are trying to cover

For each other

Or at least blend in with the pattern

Good is better than perfect

Scrub till your fingers are bleeding

And I’m crying with insight

I tell others to do without crying

He used to go to his favorite bookstores

And rip out his favorite pages

And stuff 'em into his breast pockets

The moon, to him, was a stranger

And now he sits down at a table

Begins his quiet ascension

He eats a small lump of sugar

Smiles at the moon like he knows her

Okay, so I'm really liking this song "Man of a Thousand Faces" but I am having an issue. I'm trying to figure out what the lyrics mean. I keep thinking that it has to do with drugs of some kind, but I'm wondering what everyone else thinks. The lyrics are below, and I made the sections that I made some drug-related areas bold. ALSO: I made a portion of the song into italics. This section is particularly baffling to me. I know that songs don't have one meaning or anything, I'm just wondering what your thoughts are.

The man of a thousand faces

Sits down at the table

Eats a small lump of sugar

And smiles at the moon like he knows her

He begins his quiet ascension

His words are quiet like stains are

On a tablecloth washed in a river

Stains that are trying to cover

For each other

Or at least blend in with the pattern

Good is better than perfect

Scrub till your fingers are bleeding

And I’m crying with insight

I tell others to do without crying

He used to go to his favorite bookstores

And rip out his favorite pages

And stuff 'em into his breast pockets

The moon, to him, was a stranger

And now he sits down at a table

Begins his quiet ascension

He eats a small lump of sugar

Smiles at the moon like he knows her

quote:
Originally posted by Geogaddi.:

And in 20 Years of Snow she says something about “pissing on sugarcubes” and I literally have no idea what that means.

I’m going to go out on limb and put a random thought out there on this one. Let’s just say if she is being “literal” with that lyric it could be referring to some military guys like from the Navy (she does say navigators with their mappy maps) and their moldy bathrooms. Since I guess they called them heads. Where they piss on sugar cubes… Not so sure about the sugar cube part really. But maybe something like urinal cakes to make the moldy bathrooms smell nicer. Not an expert on urinal cakes but don’t they make some of them smell fruity?

If she was being figurative well, moldy heads could just mean stupid old men. And by pissing on the sugarcubes they “melt” something good. I dunno.

I dunno exactly. I just need some objectivity. Not that i don't think it could say that. But I listend to it about 20 times on repeat and then every youtube vid and I'm really having trouble hearing the word "her" for some reason.

Studying does make you go insane btw.

i've always thought it was about a drug induced epiphany.

Man of 1000 is my fav. regina song ever, and i just love it.

It is common to take LSD with a sugar cube. And never personally taken acid, i hear it is abolutely nuts. It can make you feel really close to nature and want to go back to nature. "He's found a path to her likeness."

His quiet ascension is his trip. It all seems like a really philosophical trip where a man comtemplates nature and religion. Also sometimes on acid people get paranoid, and the scrub till your fingers are bleeding reminds me of that.

In the song I always heard "and I'm crying over things i tell others to do without crying."

His trip has made him see his flaws. He remembers his life before the trip and how he was so far from nature. and at the end he trips again.

For me, the "good is better than perfect" part is a completely magical experience. this is gunna sound like i'm on drugs lol, but i just want to live in that one phrase. the passion she has in that one phrase is.... better than anything i've ever heard in my life. I think if there were 5 seconds of music i would hear over and over again for the rest of my life it would be that.

This truely is the best song i've ever heard.

quote:
Originally posted by PerksOfAWallflower:

i've always thought it was about a drug induced epiphany.

Man of 1000 is my fav. regina song ever, and i just love it.

It is common to take LSD with a sugar cube. And never personally taken acid, i hear it is abolutely nuts. It can make you feel really close to nature and want to go back to nature. "He's found a path to her likeness."

His quiet ascension is his trip. It all seems like a really philosophical trip where a man comtemplates nature and religion. Also sometimes on acid people get paranoid, and the scrub till your fingers are bleeding reminds me of that.

In the song I always heard "and I'm crying over things i tell others to do without crying."

His trip has made him see his flaws. He remembers his life before the trip and how he was so far from nature. and at the end he trips again.

For me, the "good is better than perfect" part is a completely magical experience. this is gunna sound like i'm on drugs lol, but i just want to live in that one phrase. the passion she has in that one phrase is.... better than anything i've ever heard in my life. I think if there were 5 seconds of music i would hear over and over again for the rest of my life it would be that.

This truely is the best song i've ever heard.

Jess, I know we share a mutual love for this song, as it is my favorite too, and I agree--I've always seen it as a drug reference.

The bit about "his words are quiet like stains are/one a table cloth washed in the river/stains you try to cover for each other/ or at least blend in with the pattern"

Holy cow, so amazing. I see it as a man who is outwardly withdrawn and just "one of the crowd," an average joe, but is secretly slightly insane (like so many of us are) and the only way he can find the release to the true him is through drugs.