Sign in to follow this  
No Need To Be Alone

Man of a Thousand Faces

This song is what brought me to the Stix.

I heard her play it at Messiah College, where she debuted it (she has since changed the melody a little). I thought it was sublime and came home and went crazy trying to figure out the lyrics using a couple of not-very-clear Youtube videos shot that night. I kept posting versions of the words on the livejournal regina (spektoritis) site, asking for input, until someone involved in running the site told me to stop.

He said, "You know, you should go post about this on the Stix." I assume he meant that Stixers would be obsessed enough to endure endless conjecture about the lyrics of one song.

LOL, he was right!! Smiler

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

Jess, I know we share a mutual love for this song, as it is my favorite too, and I agree--I've always seen it as a drug reference.

The bit about "his words are quiet like stains are/one a table cloth washed in the river/stains you try to cover for each other/ or at least blend in with the pattern"

Holy cow, so amazing. I see it as a man who is outwardly withdrawn and just "one of the crowd," an average joe, but is secretly slightly insane (like so many of us are) and the only way he can find the release to the true him is through drugs.

got that tattoo yet? i fear mine...it's gunna be so painful!

i love your interpretation of that verse! i think it fits perfectly!

quote:
Originally posted by Hogbother:

"Like the demon-youth, the Master flew with his eyes fixed on the moon, but he was smiling at it as if it were someone he knew and loved..."--Mikhail Bulgakov, The Master and Margarita

Reginas favorite book....

hmmmmmm, GREAT POINT

quote:
Originally posted by kaysntees:

quote:
and are we positive that she says "found a path to her likeness"?

What are you suggesting it might be instead?

I've decided that i'm suggesting it it might be "found a path to aura-likeness"

quote:
Originally posted by BitsOfBone:

I always thought it was:

'He begins his quiet ascension without anyone's steady/sturdy instruction, to a place where no religion has found a path to our a-likeness'

The latest live versions sounds like she's saying:

"...without anyone's sturdy instruction, to a place that no religion, has found a path to OR a likeness"