Sign in to follow this  
Bonzomaniac

Music from the past

Instead of hijacking the "New music we should all hear" thread where all the artists are current, I decided to make this thread. This thread is for everyone to recommend artists from the past that you think peeps here will enjoy!

The Band - Yes, that is their name Razzer. A favorite band of mine featuring 3 distinctly different singers who was Dylan's backing band in 1965 - 1966. They eventually decided to go their own way and had one of their biggest hits with the song The Weight.

I Shall be Released 1970

The Weight 1970

Humble Pie - Formed after Steve Marriott left the Small Faces and originally had Peter Frampton, Greg Ridley from Spooky Tooth, and Jerry Shirley. Also, Marriott is an amazing singer/frontman. To think what would have happened if Page had been able to get him to be the singer for Zep!

Black Coffee 1973

Natural Born Woman

The genius Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - I really cannot describe the Captain's music. He has a 4 1/2 vocal octave range where he sounds like a demonic Howlin Wolf and was a friend of Frank Zappa.

Listen at your own risk.

Hot Head

Instead of hijacking the "New music we should all hear" thread where all the artists are current, I decided to make this thread. This thread is for everyone to recommend artists from the past that you think peeps here will enjoy!

The Band - Yes, that is their name Razzer. A favorite band of mine featuring 3 distinctly different singers who was Dylan's backing band in 1965 - 1966. They eventually decided to go their own way and had one of their biggest hits with the song The Weight.

I Shall be Released 1970

The Weight 1970

Humble Pie - Formed after Steve Marriott left the Small Faces and originally had Peter Frampton, Greg Ridley from Spooky Tooth, and Jerry Shirley. Also, Marriott is an amazing singer/frontman. To think what would have happened if Page had been able to get him to be the singer for Zep!

Black Coffee 1973

Natural Born Woman

The genius Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band - I really cannot describe the Captain's music. He has a 4 1/2 vocal octave range where he sounds like a demonic Howlin Wolf and was a friend of Frank Zappa.

Listen at your own risk.

Hot Head

Great thread! Smiler

I recommend Joy Division and the band that formed after the death of Ian Curtis (JD's lead singer) New Order.

Specifically these songs:

Transmission,

Love Will Tear Us Apart,

Age of Concent,

Ceremony.

If you like the Smiths, this will be right up your street. Enjoy Big Grin

yes, this is a great thread! i don't even know where to start...

- the beatles

- fleetwood mac (rumours is a great album)

- leonard cohen (at the moment i'm in love with famous blue raincoat)

- queen

- david bowie

of course, i'm going to recommend The Smiths, haha. they are amazing and as 'catchy' and intelligent as Regina is. (and also Morrissey's earlier solo stuff)

andd i agree with Bits on Joy Division, especially Disorder. =D

and also Tori Amos! i don't enjoy her newer albums as much but i am extremely fond of Little Earthquakes and Under The Pink, haha especially the first one. i listened to them all last winter.

quote:
Bonzo, I could dominate this thread.

Holy cow....I'll be back....no doubt!

I figured you would enjoy this thread lol.

quote:

Hey Sofia, are you familiar with the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac?

quote:
Originally posted by sofia:

Ah yes! <3 Any ideas why my middle name is Rhianna? (My parents said they would've done rhiannon but didn't want to be too tacky.)

quote:
Hey Sofia, are you familiar with the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac?

no, not really.. just a few songs. and i know a tiny bit of fleetwood history, but nothing more. im much more familiar with the music from the later mick, stevie, lindsey, john and christine era. how about you?

quote:
Originally posted by dentistgirl:

quote:
Originally posted by sofia:

Ah yes! <3 Any ideas why my middle name is Rhianna? (My parents said they would've done rhiannon but didn't want to be too tacky.)

haha, i love that! in a way rhiannon might just be one of the coolest things to be named. i think i'm tacky enough to name a future pet after a song Big Grin