Sign in to follow this  
Donna

backing up files to cd....

Is there anyway that I can backup my files to a cd so that I can reinstall my computer? I have no floppy disks and I remember someone telling me I think that you can back files up with a cd.

Can somebody help me?

quote:
Originally posted by Stepped On A Syringe:

dont want to sound mean or anything-- but maybe you can use a little thing called Google to help you with these problems, instead of making countless threads about these personal issues.

while im sure many people can help this problem, its just a courtesy! :]

Countless? I beg your pardon but this is the OTHER section of the forum. Technically I have every right to post this topic in the other section. No offense to you in any way shape or form but really if you don't like what I have to post, why bother reading it or replying. You want a clutter free forum, then why are you making my post on top constantly? And I am not going to spend countless hours on google finding out how to back my files up on cd when there is more then one option!!!

If you want a clutter free forum, and if you do not like what i have to say, dont read the topic.

theres my two cents.

quote:
Originally posted by Donna:

Is there anyway that I can backup my files to a cd so that I can reinstall my computer? I have no floppy disks and I remember someone telling me I think that you can back files up with a cd.

Can somebody help me?

Technically it is possible to back up your entire hard drive to CDs. You should be able to open whatever CD burning program you have installed on your computer and make a data disc with everything on it, and it will do the rest for you. But I would honestly really advise against this. Depending on how big your hard drive is, it could take up hundreds upon hundreds of CDs.

I would probably buy an external hard drive and just put everything on there. It would be much more convenient in the long run, and those things aren't too expensive nowadays.

While I do understand that you want to confide in your fellow Reginites since you know that you will be getting an honest response, Jeremy is probably right. I'm sure there are plenty of places on the internet that could help you out with this if you Google it.

Anyway, have a good one, and good luck with your backing upsies,

~Tyler

I agree - a portable hard drive will cost you £40 / $40.

120GB will be more than enough and you can save everything for ever!

I have all of my Regina, Beatles, Moby, Guillemots and Rolling Stones backed up and every now and again I pick another artist and back up my collections.

I have a 120GB drive and so far with the above collections I have used about 5/6GB so loads of room left!

Hope this help?

James.

quote:

quote:

dont want to sound mean or anything-- but maybe you can use a little thing called Google to help you with these problems, instead of making countless threads about these personal issues.

Countless? I beg your pardon but this is the OTHER section of the forum. Technically I have every right to post this topic in the other section. No offense to you in any way shape or form but really if you don't like what I have to post, why bother reading it or replying. You want a clutter free forum, then why are you making my post on top constantly? And I am not going to spend countless hours on google finding out how to back my files up on cd when there is more then one option!!!

If you want a clutter free forum, and if you do not like what i have to say, dont read the topic.

theres my two cents.

sorry Donna, i didnt mean to be so rude. Maybe we could all be a little more careful what we post, cuz i always thought the "Other" section should still be at least a discussion. but its okay. do what you like

quote:

quote:

quote:

theres my two cents.

sorry Donna, i didnt mean to be so rude. Maybe we could all be a little more careful what we post, cuz i always thought the "Other" section should still be at least a discussion. but its okay. do what you like

These two sections are also for off topic situations. I might as well start an Everything Else thread. I mean it seems perfect and all.

And im sorry i sound like a bitch lately, we all get bitchy monthly lol.

Donna,

i've tried to stay outta this forum drama, but in fact it has made me avoid the forum. i don't want to be put off of this forum which i love with all the people i consider my friends just because of one person. Donna, it may seem i'm picking on you but really im just a straight forward person and I'm saying none of this in anger. This forum is a strange and very delicate one because it is lacking administration, therefore we must ALL do our part to keep the pollution to a minimum. i chose that word carefully because there is a different between random posts that can benefit the forum as a whole and thoughtless posts that just croud the forum. Now, for some people it may seem like a very thin line between the two but it is really very simple. Because this is a family centered and supportive group it is fine to post an occasional thread on an important objective or happening in your life (even better if it is related to regina in some way). Like my recent thread in how everything in my life is clicking into place recently and my future plans of college, or Kelleys thread about beating her eating disorder and how her life has 180'd into a wonderful new position. On the contrary, Brumstix is not a personal assistant or an Oracle. I know that personally i don't see you in person and it wouldnt change my perception of you if you had no hair at all, or if your cat's name was Cat. Those are not something you need moral support on, and therefore we can't help you anymore than your personal friends can. Yes, you are right that the Others catagory is very much a miscellaneous posting place but keep the randomness to a minimum for the sake of others. Try to be courteous and respectful to those that have been here longer than you and really and genuinely care about regina news and the people they have come to know on this site. we don't want to have to sift through the garbage because to be completely honest with you (which i always am to everyone don't think i'm giving you special or disadvantageous treatment) if i see a thread written by you, which has an irrelevant name then i don't even bother to read it. To prove to you the supportiveness of this community, I wanted to let you know that I am backing up Stepped on his previous post. he had no fault whatsoever in my eyes to ask you politely to be respectful to everyone here and cut back on the heedless posting. Please prove your maturty to everyone and take this message for what it is. I am not "dogging" you. I am simply asking you to be courteous and trying to speak to you in an adult mannor about a problem I have seen lately in this forum.

Sincerely, Jessica (perksofawallflower)

THANK YOU JESS

finally somebody has been able to sum up my thoughts (and those of many others) in a blunt yet polite manner.

to be quite honest,im almost repelled from the forum when i think about all that im going to stumble upon if i decide to read it these days. And im not the member with the most seniority here, thats for sure, but i can tell you for a fact that the forum didnt used to be like this.

as far as forum etiquette goes.. the line really IS thin.. jess, you put that really well. but it also doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that creating a whole new thread about how you should do your hair probably isnt going to matter much to the rest of us. you should be considerate about what youre posting because we ALL read this forum, and sure, there are those who are polite and will respond and engage in the conversation but really, NONE of us know you personally or care what you do with your hair,therefore making that a completely IRRELEVANT post.

its more complex than just "not reading the post if we dont like what youre posting" its that its cluttering the whole forum and sometimes impossible to ignore, which has become really irritating for more than just a few of us over the past few months.

i dont know how much clearer any of us could be when pointing this out.