Sign in to follow this  
graph theory

ribollita

OK, this is a tuscan classic - mighty tasty, and i don't even like soup that much. oh, and it's vegetarian.

This soup is called ribollita (reboiled) because it was originally made using the previous day's leftover vegetable soup. Today, however, it is normally made as follows.

Ribollita (Recipe from The Silver Spoon i.e. the bible of italian cooking!)

Serves 4

.25 cup olive oil

1 carrot, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

3 fresh or canned tomatoes, peeled

1 fresh thyme sprig

2 potatoes, coarsely diced

7.5 cups cavolo nero (tuscan cabbage), shredded

1 cup fresh white beans

or .5 cup dry white beans, soaked in cold water overnight and drained

4 country-style bread slices

salt and peppa

Heat the oil in a pan, add the carrot, onion and celery and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes, thyme and potatoes and cook for a few minutes, then add the cavolo nero and beans. Pour in 8.75 cups water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the bread on the base of a large earthenware casserole dish and ladle in te soup. Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with oil.

and there you have it.. ribollita! (roll the r when you say it- it's fun.)

OK, this is a tuscan classic - mighty tasty, and i don't even like soup that much. oh, and it's vegetarian.

This soup is called ribollita (reboiled) because it was originally made using the previous day's leftover vegetable soup. Today, however, it is normally made as follows.

Ribollita (Recipe from The Silver Spoon i.e. the bible of italian cooking!)

Serves 4

.25 cup olive oil

1 carrot, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1 celery stalk, chopped

3 fresh or canned tomatoes, peeled

1 fresh thyme sprig

2 potatoes, coarsely diced

7.5 cups cavolo nero (tuscan cabbage), shredded

1 cup fresh white beans

or .5 cup dry white beans, soaked in cold water overnight and drained

4 country-style bread slices

salt and peppa

Heat the oil in a pan, add the carrot, onion and celery and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes until softened. Add the tomatoes, thyme and potatoes and cook for a few minutes, then add the cavolo nero and beans. Pour in 8.75 cups water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the bread on the base of a large earthenware casserole dish and ladle in te soup. Cook in the oven for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper and drizzle with oil.

and there you have it.. ribollita! (roll the r when you say it- it's fun.)

One has to be philosophical about such things! Wink

Suffering as I am from severe "Man-Flu", an early night after a steaming bowl of Chicken Soup might be advisable, but methinks it might be worth suffering a little longer, for a closer look at that Kilt! Big Grin