Stepped On A Syringe

Good News Thread!

Is this how 'Regina Spektor' is pronounced in Russian?:

http://translate.google.com/#en|ru|Regina%20Spektor

Has it been confirmed that 'Ilyinichna' is her middle name (full name in Cyrillic being Реги́нa Ильи́нична Спе́ктор)?

also, why is a 'k' sometimes interjected in her name, so it's 'Reginka'?

Sorry, noobish questions.

^yes, that's the correct pronunciation; yup, the middle name is derived from her father's name (Russian tradition) and Reginka is a diminutive (like Robbie is a diminutive of Robert). The "ka" ending is very common in formation of diminutives of girls' names in Slavonic languages.

Hee, I'm getting overly language nerdy here, but I'm curious! So, English speakers, is it correct to say that Robbie, from Robert, is a diminutive? I mean, in Spanish diminutives (as far as I know, I know very little Spanish!) are quite common and there is a grammatical system for them, Adela -> Adelita, Eva -> Evita etc. So does grammatical diminutive exist in English at all, are there any rules? I know I know, this has nothing to do with anything, but I got interested. Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by lennonist:

Has it been confirmed that 'Ilyinichna' is her middle name (full name in Cyrillic being Реги́нa Ильи́нична Спе́ктор)?

also, why is a 'k' sometimes interjected in her name, so it's 'Reginka'?

Sorry, noobish questions.

hehe that's funny. Big Grin Well, the way she pronounces her first name is okay, but not the last name. She she should make an accent on a different letter, not O but E.

quote:
Originally posted by Brady:

quote:

Google is amazing. I'll be damned if that company doesn't take over the world in less than ten years.

yeah, how would we do homework for language classes without Google, or research without Wikipedia, or do math and science homework without WolframAlpha.com or even a calculator? :^o Sometimes I think older generations are wiser even though the younger generation might have access to more knowledge and technological aids.

Yeah I agree. It's how much Google helps us, and it's just how crazy their technology is. I remember when the first Google powered Android phone came out. I got it and was almost certain about the company's potential. Them making a computer operating system will probably seal the deal. I mean look at their search engine, Google Earth, Gmail, Android, and my favorite, their web browser.....Just flat-out great. Yeah Apple my ass. I'm starting to see a Google craze but it's arrived a lot later than it should have.

^yeah, Chrome is great. It has a lot of bugs still, but it's getting there very rapidly.

I just wish my youtube channel wasn't deleted. It was linked to my google account and now I have to make up a new nick (which I'm horrible at) and log off from my google account everytime I want to log in on youtube. Annoying!

btw any tips for Regina-related nick for my new youtube account?

I think you should refrain from uploading copyrighted material because it will most certainly result in the deletion of your new account. I lost an account last year and already got a few warnings on my new account. I've stopped uploading to Youtube entirely.

My good news:

I had my first ever root canal on Monday and it went really well. I was nervous going into the procedure, but it didn't hurt at all. The only discomfort I experienced was from keeping my mouth open for so long. The angry tooth has been silenced and I'm so grateful to my amazing dentist and his assistant. For the first time in a really long time I got a good nights rest and can drink water and tea without wincing.

quote:
Originally posted by makingstuffup:

I think you should refrain from uploading copyrighted material because it will most certainly result in the deletion of your new account. I lost an account last year and already got a few warnings on my new account. I've stopped uploading to Youtube entirely.

You're right but it just bugs me that there's much less Regina related vids on youtube (which is still annoyingly the most popular video streaming site) since both fidelity377's and my channel got deleted. I don't quite understand why Tv performances are so greedily protected. They will never be officially released and the argument about people not watching the actual program on tv and hence the commercials is irrelevant since you can still record the program off your tv and skip the commercials anyway.