Stepped On A Syringe

Good News Thread!

I have a piano recital coming up and am going hardcore on the piece I'm playing! I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time!

quote:
Originally posted by bum bum bum:

I think Kimya is doing a show with Aesop Rock in NY sometime the next few weeks. I know next Thursday they're supposed to be in Boston..

I've never heard of Katy Gunn or Chelsea Lynn La Bate. I'll have to check them out.. I'm starting to feel like all my favorite artists are introduced to me because of associations with Regina or one of her musician friends and/or Brumstix. lol

Cool Thanks, I'll check up on her tour dates again Smiler

And on your other point, I find that probably about 75% of the musicians I follow know each other and are at least on a friendly basis, because when you listen to niche music (as Regina definitely started out as, and so many followers still are) there are only a handful of places in a handful of cities (especially New York) where they have your niche playing every night. So if you're coming up at the same time or you just like to revisit to hear new music, you just end up with a bigger and bigger social circle of musicians.

That was a long preamble to me saying you might not like Katy Gunn's records. To me they are aren't very well produced and I think she tries to do too much with too little. She is still more of a live-act to me. Which is great, because she's in that phase where she plays small gigs on the LES all the time. So if you want to check her out, I'd recommend going to a show. She is just barely starting to get a little big, but you shouldn't have to order tickets or anything. Her album release at The Living Room was as packed as I've ever seen it. It was hard to move at all during her set. Yet I don't think she's ever had a a cove that was more than $10. So now's a prime time to see her live. Right now her only scheduled show is May 17 at The Bitter End, but she may well sneak another show or two in before then. Just 'like' her on Facebook and you should notifications (or do you have 'friend' someone to get invites to events? I don't know, just do the right thing and you'll be fine. Alternately, keep an eye on Katy's MySpace account, and you'll get updates on her shoesshows and some samples of her latest album... Which you should then try to hypothetically compare to listening to her sing accompanied only by her own piano from the back bench at Sidewalk (which is how we first her) and see which you like better.

You can buy Katy's new Album, "Beautiful Things" from CD Baby.

You can listen to/buy digitally Chelsea's 'Picking Through the Pawn Shop' (I'm super-fond of the song 'Savannah') at Bandcamp. I'm not 100% sure how to get the physical copy other than to send some money to Chelsea. Anyway, if you're interested in doing that, send me an e-mail and I'll give you her info (aaron.eshbach@gmail.com).

quote:
I have a piano recital coming up and am going hardcore on the piece I'm playing! I'm so excited but so nervous at the same time!

Good luck, have fun and enjoy the music! I just had my first song recital a couple of weeks ago and I was pretty terrified, but still sort of loved it. Smiler

My good news: I wrote 1,5 songs yeasterday. I haven't been able to do so in a long time but now it just happened. And I actually like them, especially the other one, and that's even rarer.

First day waking up as Dr. Long, DMD! Feeling pretty surreal right now. Off to mail my application for an actual license to practice dentistry. Hmm..only several more hurdles before I can actually do anything productive.

yey! cool, Jamie! Smiler congrats!

I've been on "tour" to some music schools this past month, auditioning. Playing and singing some regina, ingrid and my own stuff. For the most part of it it went well and felt good. I'm now reserve/back-up (?) on three of the schools. So if some people drop out I'll get in. And now I'm waiting for answers from the last two. And I want to get into them the most! If I get into both (you should always stay positive) I really don't know which one to choose...

But hey. The good news is that I feel good about it anyway. I feel proud of myself that I actually went ahead and did all this. Suddenly I feel productive again.

So much coolness going on in people's lives! Congratulations, Jamie and Emelie! You can both be so proud of yourselves.

Emelie, I really hope you'll get into some great school that will help you develope yourself as much as possible. Getting to study the thing you love the most is wonderful. And audition experience is always useful whether or not you get chosen. I had very, very little experience of that sorts of occasions when I auditioned to my current school, and that really showed... I still wonder what made them choose the pathetic shaky girl they saw in the audition. Big Grin

Just watching President Obama's address to the British Parliament before working on some stuff and studying. All I can say is WOW! Can we repeal the 22nd Amendment so we can have Obama in 2016 and 2020 again? Was that his best speech so far? You can tell it was good cause Tony Blair, Gordon Brown, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, that Speaker-lady of both houses, and all the other British officials look super-impressed. Being that the oral prowess of the British is unmatched, that's really saying something. Please consider watching his address when you have time... It should be uploaded to http://www.youtube.com/whitehouse soon.

In other news, I have a poster presentation on vertical farming today. I'm all dressed up and the presentation looks really good. I still need to turn in a paper and I'm worried about my last final tomorrow though. :\ But after that, the relative luxury of summer time!!

UPDATE: The presentation convention went well. It went a bit faster than I thought it would.. I won't bore you with the details of the topic. There was one guy who was asking me really difficult questions. I thought he was probably somebody's dad who came to see the different projects, but after I finished talking to him, someone told me it was the head of the department of engineering, so that was a real "Oh shit, hope I didn't fuck that up" moment, because he's actually a rather important guy around the campus. I had heard his name before, but didn't actually know/have him yet. He wrote "Great job!!" in the comments of the project evaluation that he filled out, so I hope I talked knowledgeably. I was actually dumbing it down and a bit condescending because I didn't realize who he was. And then later on, another professor was taking a photo of my poster-board with his camera-phone, so I was like I'll just e-mail you it, and I'm probably going to do some community service with him on Saturday. Both professors I met knew about the topic and had even read a book about it, so yeah. I had only heard about it on NPR last year. I'm afraid that I might have talked a bit fast because there was a lot to explain, so I might have come across as a wee-bit over-energetic. ;P And another thing, I feel bad when I have to drop a conversation to attend to someone new that comes along. I'm not good at handling many different conversations at once, and I'll bet it's annoying when someone has to talk to someone else about whatever. Most of the time I was flirting with my partner's girlfriend. As a rule, I don't talk to girls unless they talk to me first, and I dunno why she was asking me all these questions. My partner, Kevin, although he's really smart and a double-major, didn't care for the topic so I had to do the entire project by myself, which I don't mind, and my partner never told his girlfriend about it, so I guess that's why she was talking to me and not him. I imagine Kevin is probably annoyed at me for impressing his girlfriend now. Why do I always meet interesting people at the end of the school year and not earlier?

I adopted a cat from the SPCA by my house this weekend! I saw the cat's picture on the online website about a month ago and I had been begging my boyfriend to let me go pick her up.....so finally we went there and she came home the next day! She is an absolute joy....and she pounces everything.