Stepped On A Syringe

Good News Thread!

quote:
Originally posted by rainna:

I finally got a job! I have been working in a graveyard for a week now, doing gardening. And oh yes, I have met the gravediggers. I'm definitely keeping an eye on them whenever they are working close to my group... Smiler

That sounds somewhat fun.

Somewhat tangentially related to this thread, what do you think of this song?:

The Grateful Dead - Ripple

I'd love to hear your opinion. I wish I never heard it so I could hear it for the first time.

quote:
Originally posted by andreseng:

quote:
Originally posted by i like wonder bread:

If only Princeton could let me in for free. Life would be absolutely perfect then! Smiler

Princeton won't let you in for free. But they do have quite the endowment and are usually very helpful to those that need it. Don't write it off. Continue the process. You never know...Good luck! Cool

BUMP...want to be sure ILWB saw this. I found more concrete info:

quote:
Committed to equality of opportunity, Princeton admits students without regard to their financial circumstances. This policy applies to both domestic and international applicants. We provide grants and campus jobs to meet the full demonstrated financial need of all students offered admission. Our groundbreaking no-loan financial aid program makes it possible for students to graduate from Princeton with little or no debt.

Sixty percent of Princeton undergraduates receive aid. Careful consideration is given to each family’s financial circumstances as presented in Princeton’s free online aid application. The amounts parents are expected to contribute toward the cost of attendance vary according to their resources. Families with lower incomes are asked to make relatively small contributions, in some cases zero, and receive the largest grants. Middle- and higher-income families will pay more toward Princeton’s costs; however, they still benefit from grants based on their individual level of need. Students also meet a portion of their college expenses through summer and term-time earnings; no student is required to take a loan to pay Princeton’s costs. Individual need-based grants awarded by the University range from $5,000 to more than $50,000. Princeton expects to award grants totaling nearly $110 million to more than 3,100 undergraduates in 2011-12.

Source: http://www.princeton.edu/admission/whatsdistinctive/

quote:
Originally posted by i like wonder bread:

I replied to the thread you recommended! Thanks, it was interesting to read about all you nifty folk on here.

That's incredible! The packets Yale send me make me want to cry because I know I could never afford such a beautiful education. Oh to be middle class American. Haha. If only Princeton could let me in for free. Life would be absolutely perfect then! Smiler

I'm going to try my best to get whatever scholarships I can to every university I apply to and the weigh the price/quality factor into it. I still need to take the SAT as well.. Eek.

they didn't give me a dime.. hahaha, but college is expensive, and if you want to go to a private school, you have to be willing to pay for it. even besides tuition costs, there are so many other expenses that are related to going to colleges like princeton! And any other school, for that matter... so you have to plan ahead.

scholarships scholarships scholarships!

So, today at work, they had me working upstairs in a different department. I work for a print-based manufacturing plant. It's a crummy almost minimum wage job. I was on the assembly line today (so one person makes a box, one person puts product into box, one or two people close and tape the boxes, one person puts on a sticker with product info, one person puts on a mailing sticker, one person stacks the boxes, and additional people making boxes and reloading supplies and stuff). I was one of the sticker guys.

Anyway, I hadn't worked often in that department before, so I ask a guy next to me named Kevin if there was a water bubbler (also called drinking fountain outside midwest America) round here. He says no and one of the girls next to him also shook her head. So I (jokingly, but no one can tell with me irl) said, "are you for serious?!" and the girl next to him gave a nod. Anyway, they left for lunch break. I work on split shift and my break was at a different time so I made boxes in the meanwhile. When they got back from break, the girl put a water bottle on the table. When I got close to her, she said, "You can have that. You said you were thirsty before..." I said, "Oh no, I'm fine. There is a bubbler downstairs where I normally work that I could drink from. But, thank you!" I was touched. It's been such a long time since anyone has done something nice for me. I think I made the right move for declining the offer, even though I really appreciated it. Her t-shirt had a b&w photo of The Beatles on it, so I told her that my German teacher in high school saw The Beatles in Hamburg at a night club before they were famous. She smiled and said, oh really, that's cool. Instead of asking her out or anything, I thought about how I am going to tell my brümstix friends about this interaction.

Love your story. (Lennonist)

The water bottle thing may seem small, but it's not. It means big. It's an act of kindness that was either thought out because of interest, or the girl is just naturally kind. Either way, I wouldn't just let that go. I'm rooting for the naturally kind actually. It would be nice if it was interest in you, but for someone to be just genuinely kind, wow, so refreshing. AND a Beatles fan. Sounds like something to work on. Smiler 'didn't ask her out', didn't accept the water'. Those are judgement calls. Although, I picture myself liking to see the person drinking the water bottle I brought them. Just sayin'. All in all, no one handles these things perfectly. I never have. Smiler But I can totally see what motivated you to tell us about it. It's a something. (my own personal phrase)

I passed all of my assigned songs at my piano lesson I just got back from. Smiler I'm also killing this paper I have to write for my A.P. World History class. Smiler

Everyone have a good weekend!

AAAAAAAAAAH! Big Grin Last Thursday I played an entire set (about 30 minutes) of my own songs for the first time!!! Yeah! And it went really well! I was so happy, and still am. I played 7 songs on a grand and on 3 of them my friend played the cello Smiler The best feeling ever! I can't even describe it. It will all be up on youtube soon, I just have to divide it into tracks and so on...

I'm so happy that I pulled it off without any major mistakes and that the audience liked it. I've never gotten so many compliments in one night Smiler I'm just so happy they didn't hate my songs, you know?