Sign in to follow this  
LittleVoice

Enough Of Soup!

I am sorry about that Em, but Star Gazey Pie is a traditional Cornish Dish and the heads of the fish, usually pilchards or sardines are left peeping through the top of the pie to gaze up at the stars! Smiler

You don't actually eat the heads! Big Grin

I quote

'December 23: Mousehole celebrates Tom Bawcock's Eve, a procession takes place with fish lanterns and Star-Gazey Pie. Celebrated in memory of a local fisherman, Tom Bawcock, who many years ago during a Christmas of terrible food shortages, went to sea in a lull between storms and returned with a healthy catch of "seven sorts of fish". From these, the villagers made Starry Gazey Pie, complete with fish heads protruding from the crust. On Bawcock's Eve today, local children parade through the village carrying brightly lit fish lanterns, and the pubs are very "merry places".'

some chef made star gazey pie when they were competing on 'the great british menu' to cook for the Queen, although if I remember correctly it had a lobster head or something crazy like that poking out the top of it. haha! a little OTT I think.. Big Grin Littlevoice..your pie looks kinda cool. The somewhat shocked reaction to it however reminds me of a little fishie 'masterpiece' I made in art class a few years back..my teacher didnt really know what to make of it because it wasn't what you would call..normal? ..oh I dont know! Anyways, what I am trying to say is that, what may look a tad weird to some, can actually be pretty freakin great! (as was my piece of art btw Wink )

Right, my fingers are really painful from practising guitar chords again, so here is a basic recipe for the filling of Starry Gazey Pie. Wink

Sweat off some shredded leeks in olive/sunflower oil in a big frying pan, then add other pale ingredients that you fancy, I used chopped butternut squash and sweet potato, this time. Smiler

Meanwhile, start preparing the fish that you fancy, this time I started with cutting fillets from mackerel that I had in the freezer. I actually helped to catch them on an amazing day up on the sea-front near Sovereign Harbour, Eastbourne in August, when I was out walking and saw a disturbance in the sea. Cool

Large shoals of sprats were leaping out of the water, some even landing on the shingle beach and they were in turn being chased by shoals of mackerel, a few of which also leaped onto the shingle. Eeker

A Fisherman with his line set up with six hooks and feathers came along and I told him where to cast his line and the mackerel virtually leapt onto the hooks and soon he was pulling five and six ashore at every cast. I helped him get them off the hooks so he could re-cast asap! Roll Eyes

Within twenty minutes, we had caught over thirty fine mackerel, popped them into plastic carrier bags and I had my share in my kitchen within ten minutes. It is very important to process mackerel quickly before the formation of scombrotoxin, so I had some grilling within twenty minutes and the others gutted and in the freezer within fifteen minutes. Big Grin

So that was one variety of fish, the second was a piece of cod from the Fishmonger. I quickly fried the fillets in oil, skin down then poached them in milk for ~ five minutes, let them cool, then remove the skin and the laborious bit was flaking the cooked fish, ensuring you removed all the bones!

Keep the now fish-flavoured poaching liquid to one side for the sauce, then assemble the sweated leeks and other vegetables in an oven dish, add the flaked cooked fish, a selection of herbs of your choice, I used herbes provencale and fresh tarragon, then a handful of sliced green grapes, then the piece de resistance, a goodly portion of frozen seafood cocktail (prawns, squid, mussels & scallops) now making six varieties of "fish", then pour over the poaching sauce thickened with flour heated in a pan with butter, double cream, a handful of grated cheddar cheese, pat it all down then put mashed potato/sweet pototao on top and add the gutted sprats, cut in half, to make it look as if they were coming out of the sea to look at the stars, then bake in the oven at ~ 150deg C for twenty minutes, until the potato topping starts to brown and the sauce bubbles through.

You don't have to stick religiously to those varieties of fish, use what is available and what you and your guests like, many hate mussels, so don't use them! Blend your own choice of fish together, but be sure to remove all the bones that you can find and still warn your guests to keep alert and not choke on a swallowed bone! Eeker

It is a fiddley dish but quite delicious and do experiment with other ingredients, I have used sliced boiled egg on occasions, then for a luxurious taste a piece of fresh salmon and so on, dependent on season and taste. Wink

Also you can use a short or puff pastry topping instead of mashed potato, just go with the flow! Big Grin

Well, this is WAY beyond my cooking abilities, but I LOVE the picture AND the name. Big Grin

Did you know, Little Voice, there is a forum poster who makes jigsaw puzzles? Very cool.

Anyway, keep these pictures coming!

My ex-wife loved and spent hours doing Jigsaw Puzzles, whilst I preferred cooking, good music, photography, Footy and Horse Racing! Wink

We were obviously incompatible, although it took over forty years to realise that fact! Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by LittleVoice:

Staying on Fishy Subjects I made an excellent "Starry Gazey Pie" to surprise my Lady Friend. Smiler

DSC05449.jpg

Sadly, she never turned up, so no wonder those sprats don't look very happy as they struggle to gaze up at the stars, through bleary eyes! Frowner

The good news is that the Starry Gazey Pie tasted superb and I have enough left over to "see" me through several meals! Big Grin

This is why I became a pizzatarian. J/K I'd like to eat pizza day and night, but I'd get real fat and grumpy! Livin' La Vida Low Carb!