Sign in to follow this  
morricone1900

Joanna Newsom at Brooklyn Academy of Music

Just a quick post to tell you how overwhelmingly great this concert was tonight. The first half was shared with members of the Brookyn Philharmonic and consisted of all the material from 'Ys.'

The second half (which was even better) was just with a 4-piece version of her band (with violinst Lila Sklar instead of the accordionist and backup singer), and the wealth of artisty and beauty with which they all played together made the evening one of the finest concerts in recent memory (and even memory not so recent).

I will probably post more about it later, but I'm just so stunned after how great this concert was (and in such a beautiful venue, and with wonderful sound) that I wanted to say something here. Also fascinating is that it seems somewhere along the line in the last couple of years she has moved away from that harsher "little girl" singing voice that was so noticeable when she started, and now is singing with a warmer, more celtic-sounding voice. It helped make the performances of older material rather fascinating, because it's like rediscovering them in a new way -- a way that's just as intense, but not quite as strident.

She also did two new songs on the concert. The last one (with which she ended the show) was long (like some of the Ys material has been) and haunting, sure to become one of her new best-loved songs once it comes out officially.

I know we have some Joanna Newsom fans here -- I've long been a fan in a kind of respectful way, not always at ease with the sound of her voice but hugely impressed by the integrity and uniqueness of the songwriting.

But after tonight the level of my fandom has been transformed. Her presence, her incredibly accomplished harp playing, the new warmth to her singing and the intelligent and subtle contributions of her really talented band all added up to something much more than I would have expected. She's no longer the quirkily strange acquired taste she was 4 years ago. Seemingly she has blossomed into a great artist, confident and poised, compelling and lovely. The evening was a revelation.

8101042962_newsom190.jpg?ts=47A2DC43&key=73CF98E1870EF03F86D16FDF56D254C0&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Freginaspektor.infopop.cc%2Feve%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F9101042962%2Fnewsom190.jpg

Just a quick post to tell you how overwhelmingly great this concert was tonight. The first half was shared with members of the Brookyn Philharmonic and consisted of all the material from 'Ys.'

The second half (which was even better) was just with a 4-piece version of her band (with violinst Lila Sklar instead of the accordionist and backup singer), and the wealth of artisty and beauty with which they all played together made the evening one of the finest concerts in recent memory (and even memory not so recent).

I will probably post more about it later, but I'm just so stunned after how great this concert was (and in such a beautiful venue, and with wonderful sound) that I wanted to say something here. Also fascinating is that it seems somewhere along the line in the last couple of years she has moved away from that harsher "little girl" singing voice that was so noticeable when she started, and now is singing with a warmer, more celtic-sounding voice. It helped make the performances of older material rather fascinating, because it's like rediscovering them in a new way -- a way that's just as intense, but not quite as strident.

She also did two new songs on the concert. The last one (with which she ended the show) was long (like some of the Ys material has been) and haunting, sure to become one of her new best-loved songs once it comes out officially.

I know we have some Joanna Newsom fans here -- I've long been a fan in a kind of respectful way, not always at ease with the sound of her voice but hugely impressed by the integrity and uniqueness of the songwriting.

But after tonight the level of my fandom has been transformed. Her presence, her incredibly accomplished harp playing, the new warmth to her singing and the intelligent and subtle contributions of her really talented band all added up to something much more than I would have expected. She's no longer the quirkily strange acquired taste she was 4 years ago. Seemingly she has blossomed into a great artist, confident and poised, compelling and lovely. The evening was a revelation.

8101042962_newsom190.jpg?ts=47A2DC43&key=73CF98E1870EF03F86D16FDF56D254C0&referrer=http%3A%2F%2Freginaspektor.infopop.cc%2Feve%2Fforums%2Fa%2Fga%2Ful%2F9101042962%2Fnewsom190.jpg

I got to like a few of her songs from the Milk Eyed Mender but Ys is just beutiful. i have Cosmia and Emily and they are fantastic. Just played at Ireland about 6 or 5 months ago and our national concert magazine named it concert of the month. Looking forward to her new song you were talking about and reading this makes me more curius about her music she is later hopefully going to release...

that sounds amazing! i love joanna. i was just thinking today that i wanted you guys' opinion on my thoughts on Monkey and Bear. did anyone else interpret that Bear was a prostitute and MOnkey was the pimp? i dont think their relationship started that way, but he started pimping her to get money to get outta the slums, but bear was really in love with monkey and he started thinking she was foolin around? anyone else get this or am i just a freak twisting a cute song about two animals?

I had some friends who were at this show and they said it was one of the best shows they have ever seen their entire life. I went out immediately and got some of her stuff.

It sounds like Bjork singing Daniel Johnston songs. Not that this is bad but I am sure it will take quite a few listens to get into.