Sign in to follow this  
livelaughs

music is unappreciated

Rap has its place just like every other genre of music... Clearly some people find it a great medium for getting their message across and who are we to say it has no value?

All forms of communication have value.

Personally I'm not a big rap fan but the odd track speaks to me and I have a fort minor album... Its sort of important to keep an open mind with subjects like this.

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

quote:
Originally posted by graph theory:

yo, i get that a lot of really amazing music is very under-appreciated and that some pretty bad music gets too much media/radio attention but don't make all those generalizations about rap and hip hop..

maybe it's just me and that I like soo many different types of music.. but there isn't one thing that like defines good music. you say rap isn't musical (i'm assuming you define musical as having a melody--but it's so much more..lyrics, rhythm, soul etc.) but a large amount of rap and hip hop is actually really good/original/emotionally charged- and yes it does mean a lot to so many people! and doesn't a lot of rock and roll just talk about sex, drugs and rock and roll?? and what's so bad about talking about that anyway?

so yeah.. just try to be more open-minded and don't hate- you might be surprised if you give things a chance.

don't give up on today's music!! Smiler

Ah no not really. Rap is crap. If Eminem is the most talented rapper, that's proof enough. Rap has no musical value whatsoever. I hope Regina doesn't do any more rap songs.

Eminem the most talented rapper? Don't believe everything Mtv/the entertainment press tells you! And even so, his first album was hilarious.

and rap can't be all that bad, it's actually good training for singers on rhythm and flow... doesn't Amy Winehouse come from a Rap/Urban background (Frank is a more contemporary R&B album than Back to black)?

And what about the great Funkmetal bands? The Red Hot Chili Peppers and Rage Against the machine? the amazing cross-overs of the 80's and 90's? The early work of the RHCP's is rap with Hendrix guitars, powerfull drumming and amazing bassguitar licks. What's crap about that? Most "crews" of today use real instruments rather then just turntables and other devices (the Roots! check them out and turnaround), after 3 decades still evolving. Rap, while not my favorite genre is a very strong (and to many people empowering) style.

And rap/hip-hop originated from a punk-like DIY-ethic fed up with the clubs of New York and Disco music. At least it's genesis was honest and there's still a lot of rap artists who keep to the original ideals. It's not a formula designed by the industry, the industry just has a way of assimilating, manipulating and "corrupting" genres once they see it's value and appeal.

and I have to agree with Graph Theory that the Lyrics in Rap are not very different from the lyrics of most other genres. Rock 'n roll is about cars and girls too and used to be filled with slang like rap is today.

just because consequence of sounds is a fast, wordy song doest make it rap, necessarily.

the reason people hate rap is because of the culture associated with it/

Someday there might be a great rapper that comes out that isnt part of that pop image.

Just because its rap doesnt make it bad, and i'm sick of people thinking that way.

And plus, i love the way the music industry is... sure there are TERRIBLE bands and artists that get recognition and are the number 1 songs, but think about all the great music that we get...

when you can get on iTunes and see regina's name across the top for being picked to record My Dear Acquaintance. when we have access to soo much more over the internet now then we ever could.

most music isn;t really under-appreciated.

if we are appreciating it,, then thats enough! i mean, thats the point right?

We dont HAVE to wish fame upon all of our favorite artists. Regina got a little glimpse of the pop world, and maybe itll go farther, maybe not.

it would be great to see all the great artists recognized in every magazine and on the radio, but as a whole thats very hard to achieve.

Every once and a while, a great artist gets recognized, like recently Feist!

So all we can hope is the best for every one.

and rap is not crap.. that is just so pretentious

I was pretty encouraged by Amy Winehouse winning the lot at the Grammy's... She was raised by parents who loved jazz, blues and this obviously directed her talent towards singing that music. Winehouse (with whom I would gladly share a crack pipe... make mine yella) gained early respect from rappers and hip hop in general and this elevated her status.

Being a redneck, I genetically despise rap (not the artists or the lyrics, just the venetian blind rattling base). I don't understand perfectly healthy white kids embracing a culture that seems designed specifically to intimidate them (ever see the Eddie Murphy reggae bit "Kill the white people, but buy my record first"?).

But then I ain't suppose to.

Let's look at my teenage album collection... Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, KISS (how did the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack get in here?); I don't hang on to these to LISTEN to them, for godssake. They represent what I was thinking at that time (and I have no freakin' clue what that was).

Point is, if you're outside lookin' in, you're judging... if you're inside, you're feeling.

I love that each generation says "f**k off" to the previous one and finds their own niche in history.

"rap is crap" what is that? the official anti-rap slogan? but.. oh no.. it rhymes... ahh! it's almost like you're rapping!!!! the horror!

but seriously.. no hard feelings- everyone is entitled to their own opinions. i used to hate country music before I started listening to Johnny Cash.

if anyone cares, some suggestions: Jurassic 5, Mos Def, The Roots, Public Enemy, A Tribe Called Quest

Sure rap has DIY origins, but for me the criteria is musical talent. Those guys are rhymers, maybe spoken-word poets, but not musicians. It's an insult to real musicians to classify rap as a form of music. That's why I can only tolerate Consequence of Sounds from all hip-hop type songs. For me, musical talent is the #1 thing, but that's maybe my cultural background talking.

Don't talk to me about Music Appreciation, after last night's disaster when I took my latest squeeze to see my beloved Devon Sproule live in a dodgy venue in Brighton and she hated every minute of it! Frowner

I will no longer attempt to change other people's views on music to my own, even though I am invariably right! Big Grin

For once and for all, "MUSIC is a PERSONAL CHOICE" so DO NOT try to influence other folk, the more you go on about your favourites, the worse it gets and I know this to be a fact from very bitter experience and until last night I kept falling into the trap again and again! Eeker

In future, if someone tells me that they love Paul Potts singing RAP, Kylie Minogue performing "Madame Butterfly", a drug free Amy Winehouse singing in tune or Britney Spears singing absolutely anything, I will just nod my head in agreement, then go along with the rest of the flock! Wink

DSC05708.jpg

In case you missed it, I am the Black Sheep at the back! Roll Eyes

quote:
Originally posted by MusicLover_2007:

Sure rap has DIY origins, but for me the criteria is musical talent. Those guys are rhymers, maybe spoken-word poets, but not musicians. It's an insult to real musicians to classify rap as a form of music. That's why I can only tolerate Consequence of Sounds from all hip-hop type songs. For me, musical talent is the #1 thing, but that's maybe my cultural background talking.

So phrasing and rhythm have nothing to do with music or musicality? Then... how do you think singing works? or composition? Most rappers are arrangers too, not just lyricists.

And you've still not heard The Roots, which I believe will make you change your mind... They did change mine. yeah, in my rock-purist days I had the same "Rap ain't music" attitude, untill the Roots and Outkast came along.